Will the USA Give Back To Mexico 4 States?

Not too familiar with the history behind it, but wasn't it a lot easier for an immigrant to enter the US around the turn of the 20th century? I get the feeling that there's a lot more red tape now than there was back then. Perhaps this is choking off the flow of new people into this country that could help keep the nation young and healthy in the face of declining birth rates and the potential for depopulation.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not too familiar with the history behind it, but wasn't it a lot easier for an immigrant to enter the US around the turn of the 20th century? I get the feeling that there's a lot more red tape now than there was back then. Perhaps this is choking off the flow of new people into this country that could help keep the nation young and healthy in the face of declining birth rates and the potential for depopulation.

Definitely right. When my relatives came, I don't think there was as much red tape.

Population growth is interesting- currently we're at 298 million, and I saw this morning in the Christian Science Monitor that the US population would reach 320 million by 2050 even without further immigration, but 420+ million at current immigration levels.

This is nothing but an election year distraction to keep the voters' attention away from the disaster that is our current Administration.

Best conspiracy theory I've heard in a while. I honestly have not heard anyone mention that before. I guess I watch too much Fox News.

There was a barrier to traveling though. Money was required to gain passage across the ocean.

If there was no welfare or public schools, no one would be complaining about immigration (although they'd probably still hate the latest immigration wave, as that is the american way).

People who fight immigration don't seem to realize that jobs can now travel too thanks to the internet. When H1B visas dried up for techie indians, hundreds of thousands of jobs were moved there.

Archived