Southridge pics

Dylan

Went by Southridge the other day, thought I'd take some pics while I was there. It is quite a nice shopping development out there. Busy as all hell though on a saturday. When it first opened it wasnt as busy, but now....thats another story. I got pictures of all the stores there.

IMG_1623.jpg

IMG_1624.jpg

IMG_1625.jpg

IMG_1626.jpg

IMG_1627.jpg

IMG_1628.jpg

IMG_1629.jpg

IMG_1630.jpg

IMG_1631.jpg

IMG_1632.jpg

IMG_1633.jpg

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If one were to look up 'power center' in a dictionary, these are the pics they would find. This is the prime example of a power center. One long strip with 2 anchor big boxes and a multitude of smaller onces. I guess some could argue that this was overdue in South Asheville (Arden) for a long time though. The new Lowes' signs do look sorta funky haha. Thanks a lot for taking these pictures Dylan!

btw- I love the 2nd pic w/ the mountains in the backdrop.

Seeing all that asphalt and cheap architecture plopped in front of such a beautiful backdrop is just sad. I guess I was expecting a not so typical development when I clicked on this.
Agreed. Expect to see other developments like it soon popping up all over the place in Asheville and elsewhere in the Mountains, particularly in South Buncombe.

It's really sad that this is the very definition of conventional retail, and things that don't look like this are the exception. This is boring, hideous, and too huge! It looks essentially impossible to walk from one store in this complex even to the one next door, much less to walk up to this complex from the street or to go on foot from one end to the other.

Airport Road is turning into a big-box nightmare just like Crossroads in Cary. Next, we can expect to see a development with Wal Mart, Circuit City, Office Depot, Home Depot, Bed Bath & Beyond, Marshall's, Petco, and Ben Franklin Crafts spring up across the street. This new development will differentiate itself by installing a roundabout and using cream EFIS instead of tan textured cinder blocks. And the people will rejoice! because of more retail "options" in this "underserved market."

Agreed. Expect to see other developments like it soon popping up all over the place in Asheville and elsewhere in the Mountains, particularly in South Buncombe.

It's really sad that this is the very definition of conventional retail, and things that don't look like this are the exception. This is boring, hideous, and too huge! It looks essentially impossible to walk from one store in this complex even to the one next door, much less to walk up to this complex from the street or to go on foot from one end to the other.

Airport Road is turning into a big-box nightmare just like Crossroads in Cary. Next, we can expect to see a development with Wal Mart, Circuit City, Office Depot, Home Depot, Bed Bath & Beyond, Marshall's, Petco, and Ben Franklin Crafts spring up across the street. This new development will differentiate itself by installing a roundabout and using cream EFIS instead of tan textured cinder blocks. And the people will rejoice! because of more retail "options" in this "underserved market."

I heard they were trying to clear out Wellington Park right down the road to make room for a new Walmart...anybody know if that's true?

lol. so true.. Except it would be TJMaxx, not Marshall's. This center has Marshall's.

There is already a development exactly like this with a Wal-Mart....it's down on Swannanoah River Road.

Yeah, isnt a very pretty thing to see in front of such beautiful mountains. Its unforunate really. It is a pain in the ass to walk from store to store because of the size of the centre.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks essentially impossible to walk from one store in this complex even to the one next door, much less to walk up to this complex from the street or to go on foot from one end to the other.

Hmmm. I must be exceptional then as I've shopped in the center a number of times and been perfectly capable of walking from one store to the next. As have most of the other shoppers I've encountered there. Interesting.

• 1 month later...

Looks like the first step towards realizing this (the Wal-Mart) is now on the drawing board...

http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll...1/60605076/1010

Looks like the first step towards realizing this (the Wal-Mart) is now on the drawing board...

http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll...1/60605076/1010

:-(

Yep, that's maybe a step above the architecture found in former communist nations. :angry:

I agree with y'all.. 'strip malls' should be more pedestrian friendly so you can visit several stores and walk to each.

lol... yeah

Archived