Pillsbury A Mill development

Jaden

For those who are unaware, the Minneapolis riverfront is getting a big make-over. The world famous Guthrie Theater is relocating down by the river, and a large residental development is in the works.

The proposal encompasses most of three city blocks along the East Bank of the Mississippi River across from downtown. Four new towers of 27, 24, 20, and 15 floors will join multiple low-rise buildings and a redeveloped Pillsbury A Mill. This building was once the largest and most technologically-advanced flour mill in the world and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

The proposed development would eventually include 1,095 condos and street-front town houses, 105,000 square feet of commercial space and 1,832 parking stalls, mostly underground. Completion of the entire development

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 year later...

I think the Phoenix will be nice. I went running last night across the Stone Arch and into St. Anthony Main. I saw the Phoenix sales office in the Pillsbury A building, which confused me at first. But you can see the corner lot up the street is blocked off and full of rubble. If I lived there, I'd be at Tuggs or Pracna every night! That would be bad.

• 11 months later...

:shades:

In reality, most of the residents of Minneapolis are against this project.

Schaffer Richardson has recently reveiled plans to tear down the A mill! Everyone is PISSED!

All along they've been saying historic preservation. They even justified heights out of spec with the areas masterplan by saying they needed it to make the historic PRESERVATION part work.

NOW, they are saying "It makes economic sense to tear it down" and put a parking lot there for the Phoenix. Bull SH*T. There is a huge parking area directly north of the area, in addition to a HUGE parking garage which is nowhere near capasity.

The A Mill is a MONUMENT to the history of Minneapolis. It is a mill that literaly feed the world. It should stand as such in it's glorious ruin like current status. NO condos put in it. Just a relic.

I say this project is vaporware. Never to be realized.

Finish the Phoenix, sure, but then get the hell out of Saint Anthony.

Are you serious? Most people in Minneapolis don't even know where the Pillsbury A Mill complex is located.

Schaffer Richardson has recently reveiled plans to tear down the A mill! Everyone is PISSED!

Again, I have yet to hear or read about people being pissed if these buildings were gone. Most outside your group don't care. No offense, but most people don't care to save every "historic" building in Minneapolis even if was once the largest flour mill in the world.

All along they've been saying historic preservation. They even justified heights out of spec with the areas masterplan by saying they needed it to make the historic PRESERVATION part work.

They justified their proposed heights because it's cost effective.

The A Mill is a MONUMENT to the history of Minneapolis. It is a mill that literaly feed the world. It should stand as such in it's glorious ruin like current status. NO condos put in it. Just a relic.

A monument! There is nothing monumental about the place.

Oh please. Who are you to suggest that someone get the hell out of Saint Anthony?

I'm no hyper-preservationist, either.. but the attitude that these developers have just grates my nerves. Their project should be declined.. and then the next developer can come in and develop there.

If they have an attitude like that, let's give em' hell. I really hate cocky developers that think they can say one thing and do another.. unfortunately that's what dominates America today. Promise the world and build a boring beige blight...

But the neighborhood group also pissed me off. They were the ones who cried about all the "steel and glass" until the design got dumbed down with more stone. I think it would be an excellent combination to have the clunky gray stone A Mill next to something completely different and complimentary, as in steel and glass. Let the A Mill portion of the development reflect the mill era and let the new construction reflect now. That Mill City Museum building did that to a degree (the hollowed crumbled facade with the new glass inner curtain) and it looks great. I'd crap my pants if we ended up with no A Mill and a row of 14 story stone blah-ass condos.

• 2 weeks later...

:shades:

NOW, they are saying "It makes economic sense to tear it down" and put a parking lot there for the Phoenix. Bull SH*T. There is a huge parking area directly north of the area, in addition to a HUGE parking garage which is nowhere near capasity.

I say this project is vaporware. Never to be realized.

What the hell are you talking about?

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived