The fall of the D+D Center

Alexzero77

The D+D Center was originally built in the 1930s containing stores like the Clematis Street Burdines. When it moved to the Palm Beach Mall is the 1960s (It's still there as a popular Macy's), the building was used as a court annex. It was then vaccated and demolished yesterday. In it's place will be a new big city hall and library. What are your thoughts on the whole downtown development?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^Well, it must've been stucco'd over or something. It was not an attractive building at all, and certainly didn't look like it was from the 30's. I wonder what it might've looked like if they'd peeled away the nasty 60's exterior....

Regardless, I'm looking forward to the new city hall/library more. I hope they do a good job and don't make a cheap building.

Looks ugly to me....I just hope there wasn't a gem hidden underneath. Washington lost a great collection of buildings that way. When Kann's department store on Pennsylvania Avenue was demolished in the late 1970's, a handsome row of storefronts was discovered beneath the hideous 1950's remoldeling job, but too late to to anything about it. They all fell to the wrecking ball.

Archived