'High-end' project planned for Virginia-Highland

Designerbee

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they add a bunch of chain stores (whatever their pedigree), then I think this will be lame. But I do like the idea of a mixed-use development in that location--I've hated that parking lot ever since I moved here in 1997. The rendering generally looks tasteful and consistent with the neighborhood, if not a tad on the large side.

If they add a bunch of chain stores (whatever their pedigree), then I think this will be lame. But I do like the idea of a mixed-use development in that location--I've hated that parking lot ever since I moved here in 1997. The rendering generally looks tasteful and consistent with the neighborhood, if not a tad on the large side.

The article just made it seem like they look down on the boutique feel and stores and want more "well known stores". Their examples were Wolf Camera and Chicos.. come on! We don't need another mall.

I haven't been convinced that this will fit in the neighborhood based on recent developments. Atlantic station works because its all by intself - it would not fit in with ViHi.

I think the development is too big. I like the idea of a mixed use structure but this just seems too big for whats surrounding it. I think it will really take away from the neighborhood feel.

This is planned for the parking lot next to the CVS? I can appreciate the feeling that it's not in the same style as some of the older buildings around there, but I don't think you have to match them to create something that works well. And surely this is a big improvment over the parking lot.

I'd personally rather see a gourmet grocery go in there than a Chico's. You can never have enough grocery stores in my book.

A good comparison for VaHi might be another inner-ring commercial center in Houston - I think it's Montrose or University Park, sorry I can't remember the name. But it's a similar area - based on just viewing pictures - & also includes larger line of chains like Pier One & Old Navy. I would have to say - I think it's smart to build up the Highland corridor & include functional retail. Also Metropolitan Deluxe in VaHi is a chain too - but most probably can't tell.

My view is - it's a quaint & interesting area, but shopping districts that are nearly full boutique are disposable. There needs to be some diversity if VaHi is to become a more well rounded intown neighborhood. I would want a neighborhood where I can buy some Cheezits, underwear & a coffee table, not Peruvian goat cheese snacks, hemp-woven loin cloth & a 1950's modern coffee table with a retractable martini shaker - at least most of the times.

I would want a neighborhood where I can buy some Cheezits, underwear & a coffee table, not Peruvian goat cheese snacks, hemp-woven loin cloth & a 1950's modern coffee table with a retractable martini shaker - at least most of the times.

:rofl: teshadoh U R 2 Funny :rofl:

I guess you are going to have to expect more of this kind of thing as the suburbanites keep moving intown. They want what they are familiar with...and that is Wolf Camera and Chicos, etc. I also agree with Brad and would assume that by throwing in more well known retail you are going to increase the diversity of the area...thus creating more visits and possibly more pedestrian traffic.

I guess you are going to have to expect more of this kind of thing as the suburbanites keep moving intown. They want what they are familiar with...and that is Wolf Camera and Chicos, etc. I also agree with Brad and would assume that by throwing in more well known retail you are going to increase the diversity of the area...thus creating more visits and possibly more pedestrian traffic.

There already is alot of pedestrian traffic. ViHi is the only place in Atlanta that has alot of pedestrian traffic. :P

I agree - the issue isn't if VaHi needs more foot or car traffic, it & some other neighborhood centers are the main reason our downtown is often so slow. My point is making the neighborhood even more sustainable.

There are plenty of people in Atlanta to go around- neighborhoods that actually have it together and offer a safe pedestrian friendly atmophere are not taking away from downtown. Downtown isn't offering any competition. I have absolutely no reason to go there and it saddens me.

Or the people already in the neighborhood can shop at these places rather than having to get in their cars and driving to the same stores some place farther away. Lets not pretend that intowners only shop at these one-of-a-kind stores. Its great that they're there but to expect the urban areas to consist only of those unique local stores is unrealistic.

Or the people already in the neighborhood can shop at these places rather than having to get in their cars and driving to the same stores some place farther away. Lets not pretend that intowners only shop at these one-of-a-kind stores. Its great that they're there but to expect the urban areas to consist only of those unique local stores is unrealistic.

And let's not forget there's already a CVS next to this site, and an ACE Hardware, Wolf Camera, Starbucks and Ben & Jerry's across the street. Yet these chains don't diminish the appeal of the neighborhood; we still think of the boutiques when we think of the Highlands. As long as we don't see Foot Locker or Yankee Candle Company in the new development, I think it should be a positive thing.

• 2 weeks later...

The type of retail not-withstanding (and I hope that it's not chain stores)..

This building seems to be a good example of contemporary architecture sensitively fitting in to

one of Atlanta's most important historic neighborhoods... If they succeed in getting it built as drawn--

congratulations to the architect and developer... this is the kind of sophistication Atlanta's urban environment needs...

Archived