Urban Music Village

GRDadof3

I wonder (and this would make me a WHOLE lot happier with the project) if this might end up being something like a giant data center for recording artists to upload their data to this site, and then the record companies would produce it from there?

Amazing out-of-the-box thinking there !!!!!!

Even if Project X isn't that, you really should drop an email to Howard Stringer (after you've secured a copyright on the idea) and pitch the concept.

EDIT: snoogit - I honest to pete think that's a brilliant idea !!!! Regional tracking studios, mix/master/digital distribution at a central location. Very clever.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I wish GR the best, I think that a development like this would be better suited, more feasable, and much more needed in a larger city, namely Detroit. I can't imagine why they would want to build in GR, but as I said, I wish GR the best with this project because it sounds too good to be true.

Because Detroit is a frigin dump. Nobody in there right mind would want to develop or relocate there. The only urban renewal they have there are the 2 sport stadiums. We think we got it bad on this side of the state with manufacturing but Detroit's got it worse with the auto industry and the unions and they aint seen nothing yet in that regard.

If someone was going to announce a huge development and then said the host city is Detroit, people would be scratching there heads Detroit? Everybody laughs at Detroit. At least with GR you dont have to fight off the negative attitudes toward the city. Plus if there is significant residential included in this project who the hell in right mind would want to live in downtown Detroit.

Because Detroit is a frigin dump. Nobody in there right mind would want to develop or relocate there. The only urban renewal they have there are the 2 sport stadiums. We think we got it bad on this side of the state with manufacturing but Detroit's got it worse with the auto industry and the unions and they aint seen nothing yet in that regard.

If someone was going to announce a huge development and then said the host city is Detroit, people would be scratching there heads Detroit? Everybody laughs at Detroit. At least with GR you dont have to fight off the negative attitudes toward the city. Plus if there is significant residential included in this project who the hell in right mind would want to live in downtown Detroit.

have you evr been to Detroit, its not that bad

sorry, a little :offtopic:

it never is when im there

Me either, infact I'd say Detroit is going through its own little revitilization, if not neccisarily on the scale thats happening here in GR, whats happening in Detroit will be to its benefit in a few years.

(project X for us would be like some developer in Detroit looking to build another Ren Cen.)

I can't imagine something so monolithic as a data drop off center to mass production (in the "produced by" sense) being a new direction in music recording. Production today has taken a turn for the "basement studio" approach, considering new equipment and pro tools have turned numerous basements and living rooms across the nation into nearly professional quality studios. Basically, the economy of scale is being re-broken down by technology and the days of "home based textile looms" may be coming back, in a different way.

However, one might take a cue from the refurbishing of that warehouse to artist colony with gallery space at street level on division as an excellent example of what might be applied to a germinating GR music industry on a larger scale . . .

The press release this afternoon that Jimmy Iovine isn't directly involved means one thing, he's indirectly involved..... Unless that is just more Truman show BS that we're being fed.

So how is Jimmy Iovine indirectly involved?

Or,..........how is he directly not involved?

Maybe the development does not "involve" Interscope Records, because Interscope Records does not exist anymore? Maybe it's changing names?

A couple of us received a PM with that press release in it. Same one the "regular" media got. We're so in the big leagues now.

Thanks

Would this topic be nearly as big of an issue if it weren't for this forum? I get the impression that the local media feeds off of us as much as we feed off of them.

With all the speculation and ideas out there, why deny this one?

I'm not denying it's legitimacy at all. In fact, I found it quite interesting. One that would be very hard to make up off the top of your head, if you know what I mean. This person who was asked is a downtown business owner opening a new restaurant on Michigan.

Archived