Will Winston-Salem and Grennsboro ever return to it's former glory.

RALBOI

Hey folks i have been doing some research,and Winston - Salem and Greensboro were real powerhouses back in the 50's and 60's, your region set the standard for the state of North Carolina when it came to growth and development,but what happened, i know the area is not dead or anything but it's not booming like the Triangle or Charlotte metro area's, which also might be a blessing,i know Raleigh adds about 10,000 people to it's population every year without annextion,traffic's is a real beast ,but i guest that's the trade off for more jobs.Anyway some of you don't take this post the wrong way am not dissing the Triad just want to know your though's on what happened

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey folks i have been doing some research,and Winston - Salem and Greensboro were real powerhouses back in the 50's and 60's, your region set the standard for the state of North Carolina when it came to growth and development,but what happened, i know the area is not dead or anything but it's not booming like the Triangle or Charlotte metro area's, which also might be a blessing,i know Raleigh adds about 10,000 people to it's population every year without annextion,traffic's is a real beast ,but i guest that's the trade off for more jobs.Anyway some of you don't take this post the wrong way am not dissing the Triad just want to know your though's on what happened

Depends on a lot of things... a lotta lotta things. :huh: The old industries e.g. tobacco and textiles are gone, they're not coming back. There's going to have to be something to sustain the area in the future. Well not just sustain actually but cause steady growth as well! WS is doing a good job with its piedmont research park, which I think should be expanded greatly. There should be huge incentives to come here. Instead what they do is give a ridiculously lucrative package to Dell. You know for the money the city of WS gave to Dell they can pay their employees wages for 7 years! (or something like that). And then there's nothing to stop Dell from packing up and moving anytime they like. Also that new Dell plant will cause more sprawl, which is something the Triad does NOT need. Well that's mho anyway.

i wouldnt say the Triangle is booming. its definitely growing, but booming would be Charlotte, Hampton Roads or Miami. its only about 10,000 bigger than the Triad.

i think its just a matter of time for the triad. just like southjersy stated, the economy is changing around here...probably more so than any other metro in the state. its very evident through new intiatives being implemented by GSO, WS, HP and the whole region. i think it will be a few more years before we experience the growth that the Triangle is having now.

i wouldnt say the Triangle is booming. its definitely growing, but booming would be Charlotte, Hampton Roads or Miami. its only about 10,000 bigger than the Triad.

i think its just a matter of time for the triad. just like southjersy stated, the economy is changing around here...probably more so than any other metro in the state. its very evident through new intiatives being implemented by GSO, WS, HP and the whole region. i think it will be a few more years before we experience the growth that the Triangle is having now.

I thought the Triangle was one the fastest growing areas in the country with the metro set to double by 2020. With Raleigh being the second fastest growing city behind only Las Vegas. I agree on the fact that the economy has changed in the triad region more than any other in the state. Most of the large textile plants in Alamance County left. But in turn Lab Corp began to grow even more and alot of the people in Alamance County began to go back to school especially at Alamance Community College which is seeing record amounts of students and graduates. Biotech education at ACC is huge and oddly Alamance County is growing faster than ever despite losing so many major employers. I do believe with the PTRP in Winston and the Airport area and Rock Creek area(Eastern Guilford) attracting jobs in Greensboro only good things can happen. The key to sucess is to have Greensboro and Winston-Salem work with each other than work against. BTW both downtowns are having great sucess in revitilization.

just googled it...the city had a growth of 3.3% last year (24th in the US)...which is still good. its still doesnt strike me as boom town yet. booming cities, to me, are on their way or already considered major. (ex. crazy highway construction, light rail, new high-low paying jobs, several high rises under construction throughout downtown or a "midtown", sharp population increase, nba, nfl, mlb, just new everything. drive through nova or uptown Charlotte. Thats my defintion of booming. right now raleigh is getting a few new high-rises, some new retail, jobs, and a lotta people.

Ok well, we will just say the Triangle is growing faster than any metro in North Carolina sense it's not a Booming area then, also i didn't say anything about the size of the Triad,and don't sell the area short some census reports say the Triad is still the larger area,and the only 10,000 i mention was the population Raleigh by it's self gains each year and i was just being modest it's probaly around 13,000 something. Charlotte hey what can i say the city is doing big things!!!,but even the Charlotte forumers will tell you the triangle is growing faster,but probaly not better growth meaning they have a better plan for growth with there urban core and light rail plans and just better leadership in general,anyways this post was not about the Triangle's high growth rate,it's about the Triad, i just ask a honest question about the area's growth please don't change the topic or subject of the post by trying to play the Triangle against Charlotte that's getting old :thumbsup:

I thought the Triangle was one the fastest growing areas in the country with the metro set to double by 2020. With Raleigh being the second fastest growing city behind only Las Vegas. I agree on the fact that the economy has changed in the triad region more than any other in the state. Most of the large textile plants in Alamance County left. But in turn Lab Corp began to grow even more and alot of the people in Alamance County began to go back to school especially at Alamance Community College which is seeing record amounts of students and graduates. Biotech education at ACC is huge and oddly Alamance County is growing faster than ever despite losing so many major employers. I do believe with the PTRP in Winston and the Airport area and Rock Creek area(Eastern Guilford) attracting jobs in Greensboro only good things can happen. The key to sucess is to have Greensboro and Winston-Salem work with each other than work against. BTW both downtowns are having great sucess in revitilization.
Your thoughts are correct about the Triangle's growth being one of the fastest,now second to Las vegas than might be taking it alittle to far. :shades:

just googled it...the city had a growth of 3.3% last year (24th in the US)...which is still good. its still doesnt strike me as boom town yet. booming cities, to me, are on their way or already considered major. (ex. crazy highway construction, light rail, new high-low paying jobs, several high rises under construction throughout downtown or a "midtown", sharp population increase, nba, nfl, mlb, just new everything. drive through nova or uptown Charlotte. Thats my defintion of booming. right now raleigh is getting a few new high-rises, some new retail, jobs, and a lotta people.
A few high rises is better than none, Raleigh aleast has a midtown, www.north hills.com more to come, sharp population increase is the norm in the Triangle the census can prove that,and RBC Centura,U.S.HQ, Headway corporate staffing HQ,Regions bank HQ,Meadwestco innovation center are all high paying , you also forgot the NHL Team hear in the Triangle sense you you were naming major league teams i don't know how you forgot that sense they were in the area for 2 years in Greenboro before they came to Raleigh .Anyway can you stay on the subject of the the post and stop downplaying the Triangle's Fast growth this is about the Triads growth past,present and future (smile).

Ok well, we will just say the Triangle is growing faster than any metro in North Carolina sense it's not a Booming area then, also i didn't say anything about the size of the Triad,and don't sell the area short some census reports say the Triad is still the larger area,and the only 10,000 i mention was the population Raleigh by it's self gains each year and i was just being modest it's probaly around 13,000 something. Charlotte hey what can i say the city is doing big things!!!,but even the Charlotte forumers will tell you the triangle is growing faster,but probaly not better growth meaning they have a better plan for growth with there urban core and light rail plans and just better leadership in general,anyways this post was not about the Triangle's high growth rate,it's about the Triad, i just ask a honest question about the area's growth please don't change the topic or subject of the post by trying to play the Triangle against Charlotte that's getting old :thumbsup:

Actually, the Triangle just passed us Triadites in population. Someone posted it at SSC. The Triangle finally passed the 1.5 million mark. The Triad is currently at 1.49 million.

It's true that the Triad was the financial/population leader in the state 50 years ago. But, most of the Triad's economy was based on textiles/tobacco/manufacturing. We lost many jobs a few years ago, but we bounced back because we diversified our economy.

I think the Triangle/Triad/Charlotte areas are becoming a "research corridor". With RTP, PTRP and the research/biomed facilities being built down in Kannapolis, it is becoming evident that much of the NC economy is shifting towards research.

We will still have the blue-collar jobs with distribution/logistics and service, which is also nice.

I think it is great that we have such a diverse economy, which means jobs for many types of people. :yahoo:

We are growing again......not as fast as the Triangle or Charlotte areas, but we are still growing. :D

A few high rises is better than none, Raleigh aleast has a midtown, www.north hills.com more to come, sharp population increase is the norm in the Triangle the census can prove that,and RBC Centura,U.S.HQ, Headway corporate staffing HQ,Regions bank HQ,Meadwestco innovation center are all high paying , you also forgot the NHL Team hear in the Triangle sense you you were naming major league teams i don't know how you forgot that sense they were in the area for 2 years in Greenboro before they came to Raleigh .Anyway can you stay on the subject of the the post and stop downplaying the Triangle's Fast growth this is about the Triads growth past,present and future (smile).

I am well aware of everything you stated. i could list the Triads newest accompishments but then this would turn into a city vs. city thread. Lets just say that both regions have had major announcemnts recently.

uhhh okay? would you please read my posts. i said the Triangle IS GROWING. nobody can deny that and im not straying away from your topic. all im saying is in my opinion, i wouldnt say that its Booming yet. im not tryint to "down play" or put down the triangle. i just dont see booming like other areas of the country. i think you're using that term too loosely. if im not mistaken, you were asking opinions about the Triad by comparing it to the Triangle and Charlotte. i spoke of the Triad and the Triangle. whats so wrong about that?

i didnt forget about the NHL. its good that the triangle has a pro sports team. But you and i know that this country is dominated by the NFL, NBA, and MLB. thats why i brought up those three sports. cities with those teams could be considered "booming" or "major." professional hockey is very <_< these days.

I am well aware of everything you stated. i could list the Triads newest accompishments but then this would turn into a city vs. city thread. Lets just say that both regions have had major announcemnts recently.

uhhh okay? would you please read my posts. i said the Triangle IS GROWING. nobody can deny that and im not straying away from your topic. all im saying is in my opinion, i wouldnt say that its Booming yet. im not tryint to "down play" or put down the triangle. i just dont see booming like other areas of the country. i think you're using that term too loosely. if im not mistaken, you were asking opinions about the Triad by comparing it to the Triangle and Charlotte. i spoke of the Triad and the Triangle. whats so wrong about that?

i didnt forget about the NHL. its good that the triangle has a pro sports team. But you and i know that this country is dominated by the NFL, NBA, and MLB. thats why i brought up those three sports. cities with those teams could be considered "booming" or "major." professional hockey is very <_< these days.

Ok i can live that, anyway it's good to see all of North Carolina growing, i got a lotta love for Greensboro, i love Sugga bears!

Actually, the Triangle just passed us Triadites in population. Someone posted it at SSC. The Triangle finally passed the 1.5 million mark. The Triad is currently at 1.49 million.

It's true that the Triad was the financial/population leader in the state 50 years ago. But, most of the Triad's economy was based on textiles/tobacco/manufacturing. We lost many jobs a few years ago, but we bounced back because we diversified our economy.

I think the Triangle/Triad/Charlotte areas are becoming a "research corridor". With RTP, PTRP and the research/biomed facilities being built down in Kannapolis, it is becoming evident that much of the NC economy is shifting towards research.

We will still have the blue-collar jobs with distribution/logistics and service, which is also nice.

I think it is great that we have such a diverse economy, which means jobs for many types of people. :yahoo:

We are growing again......not as fast as the Triangle or Charlotte areas, but we are still growing. :D

Hey that's a good point about blue collar jobs,i remember when the Triangle was in the running for that Fedex hub, and the wine and cheese crowd in Cary made such a stink over it, one of their lame beefs was the jobs didn't pay enough i'm like give me a break, very good point triadcat.

The Triangle is not only growing but it is growing with high paying jobs. With an affluent population a metro area will gain better amenities. I live in Greensboro, yes we are slowly growing, but the Triad does not attract the high paying research and pharma jobs the triangle attracts in droves. The Triangle is also starting to attract a fair share of high paying financial jobs with the recent announcments by Credit Swiss and the rumor of Fidelity creating 5,000 jobs. The Triad and the Triangle may be similar in total population, but the Triangle's average household income is much higher. In turn, the Triangle is able to attract more investment from national corporations. The Triangles demographics are a dream to most national retailers and franchisees.

The Triad is stuck in the middle of two rapidly growing metros. I think this is more of a burden than a blessing. Thirty years ago there was little difference between the three metros, but I feel the Triad has been too complacent with the status quo, and has permantly lost its chance to regain its former glory.

The Triangle is not only growing but it is growing with high paying jobs. With an affluent population a metro area will gain better amenities. I live in Greensboro, yes we are slowly growing, but the Triad does not attract the high paying research and pharma jobs the triangle attracts in droves. The Triangle is also starting to attract a fair share of high paying financial jobs with the recent announcments by Credit Swiss and the rumor of Fidelity creating 5,000 jobs. The Triad and the Triangle may be similar in total population, but the Triangle's average household income is much higher. In turn, the Triangle is able to attract more investment from national corporations. The Triangles demographics are a dream to most national retailers and franchisees.

The Triad is stuck in the middle of two rapidly growing metros. I think this is more of a burden than a blessing. Thirty years ago there was little difference between the three metros, but I feel the Triad has been too complacent with the status quo, and has permantly lost its chance to regain its former glory.

I think you are being too negative. <_<

Don't you see that it is great to have a diverse ecomony??

I don't understand why people care so much about PCI. Besides, Burlington is growing with LabCorp and Elon University is growing and expanding into GSO. W-S is planning on adding jobs with PTRP and the logistics in the Triad are a good thing. It is GOOD to have blue-collar jobs as well as white-collar tech-research jobs. If a state's economy is based off of one or two factors (whether it is white or blue collar), they may get a rude awakening such as some rustbelt cities and states.

Cities like Detroit were almost entirely based on the auto industry. Look what happened.

The thing is globalization makes it very competitive, so you can't be a one-trick pony......you have to have a flexible and diverse economy....many different types of jobs. We have that.

As I said before....who cares if the Triangle has the highest tax base/ highest PCI in the state. Only an elitist would really care about that. If you want that, simply move to the Triangle.

I am perfectly fine with the Triad being more blue-collar. ;)

Way off base as far as not being a boomtown. Also some stats are putting the RDU CMSA as high as 1.65 Million compared to the Triads 1.45 million. From 2000-2005 Raleigh was the 2nd fastest growing city east of the Mississipi behind #1 New York City.

Also some stats are putting the RDU CMSA as high as 1.65 Million compared to the Triads 1.45 million.

The Triad is currently at 1.49 million. Read my post above.

I agree that the Triangle is booming quite rapidly. Charlotte is right behind the Triangle for fast growth in the state. :)

How did this post get so far away from the topic. Will Winston-Salem ever return to its former glory was the topic originally. So do you think Winston-Salem will be able to attract new industries such as BioTech, Research, or has the days of its former glory passed? I was reading their downtown partnership web site and it looks like they have quite an impressive plan with revitilization in their downtown. Will they be able to attract the kind of demographic, young professionals that make a downtown lively or will it remain a sleeply southern city as it is today?

Just thought I would add my two cents since I went to college in the Gate City...I love the Triad and the blue collar feel. I also believe that the three metros have to alike to be successful. I want the Triad to be aggressive and attract high paying jobs but not at the expense of losing the gritty feel of the region. If I had to choose I would chose G-boro to relocate anyways. The Fed-ex hub is right up my alley of work. IMO as I think the region is underrated anyway. By the way the coliseum looked great hosting the NCAA this year. I just wish there were skyline shots and more shots of urbanity of the region. NC always gets the short end of the stick when it comes to national TV spotlights unless its Charlotte...

NC always gets the short end of the stick when it comes to national TV spotlights unless its Charlotte...

Many people out of the state dont realize how NC is evolving to become a leader in many things. When i left for college in 2002, i take pride to where i reigned most of my life. Anytime i hear any smack about NC when im out of the state, 99 out of 100 times, i defend the Tar Heel state.

Ive heard enough times up north: Charlotte, SC or Myrtle Beach, NC :angry:

How did this post get so far away from the topic. Will Winston-Salem ever return to its former glory was the topic originally. So do you think Winston-Salem will be able to attract new industries such as BioTech, Research, or has the days of its former glory passed? I was reading their downtown partnership web site and it looks like they have quite an impressive plan with revitilization in their downtown. Will they be able to attract the kind of demographic, young professionals that make a downtown lively or will it remain a sleeply southern city as it is today?

Actually the topic is "Will Winston-Salem and Greensboro ever return to its former Glory" And my answer to that question is Yes they will. I also think that they have never lost any Glory to start with. If you think about it, All of the major 5 NC Cities have had a major change throughout time. Charlotte used to be known for its trucking hubs....now overshadowed by its banking. Winston-Salem was Tobacco and is now Tech companies. Greensboro and High Point were known for Furniture and now they too are growing with Tech firms. Durham was Tobacco and now Tech and Medical.And Raleigh....Well I don't know what they were known for besides State Government but is now Tech. All 3 major metros have had to adjust to keep growing ...some transformed faster and some slower, but none have lost their glory.

I think the Triad is definitely poised for change. It's all about perspective. Yes, they may be lacking in the economy that was it's former glory. However, I think the Triad is in a unique position to learn from the "wisdom and mistakes" of the New South cities that have had tremendous growth over the recent years.

Yes, I think both W-S and GSO will attract biotech and grow in "glory".

But I guess some people don't read what I post on here. :rolleyes:

I had already posted that LabCorp is growing and that PTRP is planning on adding thousands of jobs in the future. :whistling:

Yes, I think both W-S and GSO will attract biotech and grow in "glory".

But I guess some people don't read what I post on here. :rolleyes:

I had already posted that LabCorp is growing and that PTRP is planning on adding thousands of jobs in the future. :whistling:

Reading Comprehension 101

Archived