Faith based music complex

debo2040

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I, for one, wouldn't mind the mentioned complex. Do I sense some NIMBY-ism here . . . ? Just because it is associated with Christian music doesn't mean it can't boost DT & GR in general. I can't see the area ever switching directions and re-restricting booze, etc. If it means good jobs & development in the area I'm all for it! :thumbsup:

EVERYONE is a NIMBY at one time or another. I've never criticized NIMBY's as a group, just certain NIMBY's.

I would be a NIMBY for this, but what religious organization has this kind of cash laying around. Besides, the attorney David Minkin is Jewish. :huh:

This can't be. The Christian music industry doesn't have that kind of money.

Bibles and religious books have more than twice the sales than Christian music...and between Zondervan, Eerdmans, and Baker, GR is already the capital that biz.

If this all is leaning towards the music industry in someway I would not be surprised to see it come in the form of alternative/indie/modern rock in some way. Having some experience in the Ticketmaster field I can safely say that the amount of bands who now come through Grand Rapids is phenomenal, big or small time. To really understand this though you would have to look past the Van Andel. Its places like The Intersection and The Orbit Room where the scene is at.

This can't be. The Christian music industry doesn't have that kind of money.

Bibles and religious books have more than twice the sales than Christian music...and between Zondervan, Eerdmans, and Baker, GR is already the capital that biz.

Zondervan Divested themselves of their music division years ago. Presumably, there wasn't enough money in it, as you say.

That's a joke you are making, right?

Which part? Maybe the vatican, but I don't know of any plans to expand. And I don't know of any religious groups that have the kind of money to build a giant audacious plan like we've heard. Even Joel Ostein's ambition in Houston did not come even close to $1 billion.

And I was just stating that Minkin is of Jewish heritage. I would find it weird to have a Christian organization working with a Jewish attorney, with absolutely no ties to any faith-based organizations (as far as I can find on the internet).

Didn't they have a large group of people who plan conventions for the religeous community in town a month or so ago to sell them on bringing conventions here?

Could there be a connection?

Apparently they've been working on Project X for 3 - 5 years. I wouldn't think they're connected. I'm going to go out on a limb and say this thread is a red herring.

Besides, this is supposed to change what GR is known for? Some would argue we're already known for holy-rollers. :lol:

We'd be branded for a century as "HolyRollerVille".

Well, because I was the first one to prognosticate this kind of development on the "Media" thread, I think it's only right that a front row seat is held in reserve for me during the inaugural run on the Holy Roller Roller Coaster.

"Take it as gospel, it will scare the devil out of you"

(sorry kids, the snark just writes itself...)

I, for one, wouldn't mind the mentioned complex. Do I sense some NIMBY-ism here . . . ? Just because it is associated with Christian music doesn't mean it can't boost DT & GR in general. I can't see the area ever switching directions and re-restricting booze, etc. If it means good jobs & development in the area I'm all for it! :thumbsup:

Well said.

EVERYONE is a NIMBY at one time or another. I've never criticized NIMBY's as a group, just certain NIMBY's.

I would be a NIMBY for this, but what religious organization has this kind of cash laying around. Besides, the attorney David Minkin is Jewish. :huh:

You do make a good point on that. I can't imagine a Christian music record label hiring a jewish lawyer.

If this was Jesusland, I would oppose it too. There is a difference between being a NIMBY, and having common sense. Although I hold out on the hope that this will be something a little more permanent, something that we wont see those 10,000 jobs dry up and dissappear. Anything related to the music/movie/media industry is a sure fire way to ensure that. Media companies come and go all the time. I wouldn't want that to happen to GR, I would much rather see this as something in a much more stable industry if this is a corporate HQ.

All I can say at this point in time, is if this is what is "proposed" for the development, then I'll have no choice but to make UrbanPlanet Ground Zero for the CampaigntoStopProjectX. Especially if it means selling publicly-owned, scarce, riverfront property to a religious group, most likely seeking tax-free 503C charitable status on that land in perpetuity. Sorry. Salvation Army fight will look like a Memorial Day picnic in comparison. :tough:

I'm not anti-religious (in fact we go to church), but this would not be good in any way, shape or form.

All I can say at this point in time, is if this is what is "proposed" for the development, then I'll have no choice but to make UrbanPlanet Ground Zero for the CampaigntoStopProjectX. Especially if it means selling publicly-owned, scarce, riverfront property to a religious group, most likely seeking tax-free 503C charitable status on that land in perpetuity. Sorry. Salvation Army fight will look like a Memorial Day picnic in comparison. :tough:

I'm not anti-religious (in fact we go to church), but this would not be good in any way, shape or form.

this thread of thinking has branched off the grand river and is heading up plaster crick. There is NO WAY

this is about a religious music encampment. Not that your viewpoint doesnt matter, its just that its much ado about nothing IMO.

You do make a good point on that. I can't imagine a Christian music record label hiring a jewish lawyer.

Are you guys insane?

You think that Christians only make buisness deals with other Christians?

I don't care what religion you are, this kind of talk is offensive and dangerous. End of story.

Archived