City Pondering New Tourist Destination

smeagolsfree

An article in the Tennessean. The City is pondering what kind of new tourist destination should be in Nashville. I saw an article last week but did not post it about a new tax zone around Gaylord. This may be the catalyst they need to attract a new Theme Park or some other attraction for visitors to the city. One item that may be considered is a new state of the art Music Museum. What do you think this should be?

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...0/1436/BUSINESS

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely right... I've thought for a very long time that Nashville should build a comprehensive music center (aka museum) that brings all genre of music together. It could be the Center for American Music (The CAM for short) that has 5-6 different wings that work together and show the evolution and influence of American music since the beginning of the nation (i.e. influences from all around the world, country/western, jazz/blues & soul, mainstream popular, classical/opera, whatever... current sounds, even religious et. al.)... Why not? The resources are already in Nashville.

Ever since the Gateway Bridge was finished, I've pictured a Richard Meier'esque building of 7-8 levels (a'la the High Museum and Getty) with the various wings and vistas over the river situated b/n Gateway and Shelby bridges on the East side of the river. There could be recording studios and a scientific research lab for the study of accoustics (for example). Of course, it would have to have a state of the art auditorium... that also would serve as a lab of sorts.

It would be interesting to see if the CM Hall of Fame would be in support of this. Oh well, now that I've let the cat out of the bag, there will be a city that builds something like this (LOL). Maybe it will be Atlanta. We'd love to be the new music city!!

What about bringing back Music Row?

... or is that too sensitive a topic to bring up? I will never understand why such a popular strip went bust like Music Row. Especially now - all that kitsch like the wax museum featuring Minnie Pearl would be a hit with all the new neuvo-redneck hipsters. I hope you know what I mean by 'neuvo-redneck' - it's now popular to be a good ole' boy again, at least a lot of the music that has emerged out of Charlotte, Greensboro & Atlanta among places is pretty good.

Just a note though - if there is a comprehensive music hall for country music, I wouldn't want CMA involved.

What about bringing back Music Row?

... or is that too sensitive a topic to bring up? I will never understand why such a popular strip went bust like Music Row. Especially now - all that kitsch like the wax museum featuring Minnie Pearl would be a hit with all the new neuvo-redneck hipsters. I hope you know what I mean by 'neuvo-redneck' - it's now popular to be a good ole' boy again, at least a lot of the music that has emerged out of Charlotte, Greensboro & Atlanta among places is pretty good.

Just a note though - if there is a comprehensive music hall for country music, I wouldn't want CMA involved.

We should've gotten the jump on Branson, Missouri had 25 years ago we weren't so ashamed of ourselves with regards to country music. Sadly, it may be too late to jump on that bandwagon. :cry:

Music Row is the business part of the industry, record companies, studios, publishers and such, but aside from terminology, the area to which you refer was the Demonbreun strip which flourished when the Hall of Fame was located on 16th and Demonbreun. Yes, there were lots of places for the tourists to flock. Those days are gone, thank goodness. Music Valley/Opryland is the place for all this now.

Country demographics are much different than many people realize. Sure, there are good ol' boys and girls, but there are people like me, in my 50s, a professional, college educated man who didn't appreciate the form until not too many years ago. If you'll look at the fans of today, you'll find most of them are young, trendy in their own way, have plenty of money to spend and probably have only mildly heard of Conway Twitty, Loretta Lynn and all those amazing men and women who were the "stars"...of yesterday. Today, it's much different, and I'm not of the mindset that anything kitschy or even reminiscent of the old days on Demonbreun would be a hit.

I would personally have my own little uproar if anyone wanted to bring that back to the central city in the form it was in in 1980 or so. That stuff exists for not the people of Nashville, but the people who come to Nashville because of what they love, and that's country. We should, by all means, provide that for our guests. And we do, it's everywhere, but it's all grown up. It's downtown for the cool, it's Music Valley for the kitsch. Today, it's the CMA MusicFest, the clubs, the participation in our pro sports, the concerts...but a Conway Twitty bird it isn't.

So, let the 'Possum go...those days are gone from Music Row.

As far as on-topic. I love the ideas expressed by Brain. Very cool indeed.

I like ATLBrain's idea. But, what in the hell are the professionals involved in this thinking? Why would we create a tax zone around Opryland? Why not make just a little bit harder on downtown? Why reward Opryland for dismantling Opryland? Am I missing something? The proposal for a tax zone sounds completely insane.

An article in the Tennessean. The City is pondering what kind of new tourist destination should be in Nashville. I saw an article last week but did not post it about a new tax zone around Gaylord. This may be the catalyst they need to attract a new Theme Park or some other attraction for visitors to the city. One item that may be considered is a new state of the art Music Museum. What do you think this should be?

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...0/1436/BUSINESS

Does a family still hold onto that farmland on the other side of the Opryland complex? If Nashville had another Opryland Themepark, built bigger and better than ever, this town would explode in uncomprehensible ways.

Are you ready????

I'TS A NASHGASM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nashville REALLY needs some more family type entertainment. I've been several times, and since I love museums, and such, had a great time with the kids. And Cheekwood is WONDERFUL!! But I have friends who wanted to come to Nashville with their kids. They asked what there was to do with kids. Well, needless to say, museums and botanical gardens are NOT their thing. And I've noticed with MOST of my friends, if there isn't some sort of amusement park... their not interested. So I think it would be very much in the interest of Nashville to have an amusement park of some sort. I don't know where one would go... but there SHOULD be one.

But on to what I REALLY wish Nashville had. I wish it had more DOWNTOWN places for kids to go. It would be great if the Discovery Museum were downtown, instead of where it is. It would be great if the Zoo were downtown (ala lincoln park in chicago). I know the Zoo won't be moving downtown. But the Discovery Musuem.. is there a chance IT would move? Also, what if Downtown Nashville got something like the Imaginon (in Charlotte), a Children's Learning Center, Library, Theatre? They could even incorporate the Toy Museum (which I hear will have to move) into it. They could also have a Childrens Art Museum. We have one of those close to my house, and it is AMAZING. And its not something you can have in conjunction to a museum.... this thing is HUGE.. with a global village (that has pyramids from the Incas, adobe homes, african villages, and even the wailing wall with an archealogical dig site in Jerusalem)... And traveling exhibits that change every 2 months or so. Everything at the museum is interactive, and offers LOTS of activities for the kids. Also, Downtown REALLY needs a movie theater, AND an Imax... there is so much that could go in downtown that would be great for kids... AND that would bring more families to live in downtown, or at least to play there. AND it would make the area ALOT of fun. Other things I'd love to see in downtown? I'd love to see more boats on the cumberland (yeah, I know.. its not safe... but I've seen pics online of sailboats sailing past downtown. I'm sure if their were a minimum requirement (for how large a boat needs to be), you could still have PLENTY of action on the riverfront AND be safe at the same time. Also WATER TAXI's, or WATER BUSES (thats the new thing here) would be GREAT. That way they could even put some of these things on the other side of the RIVER, and still have it be connected to downtown, cause people could just hop into the watertaxis and go (the fare here is 2 dollars both ways, and takes a full 2 hours to go from start to finish... people go to work on it... I'm sure the fare could be cheaper for those only crossing from one side to the other...). I bet if some of these things were built on the other side of the river, along with some retail, and housing, and Water Taxis were in place for people to cross into downtown, that PLENTY of people would move to the other side, and MUCH MUCH MORE development would pop up over there. Just think.. anyone living and playing on the east side has that AWESOME view of downtown!! Maybe even the convention center should go there (they could even use the football stadium for SUPER HUGE conventions)... But anyways.. I got a bit off topic here... but bottom line... downtown could use alot MORE family friendly entertainment. Hopefully, with more families coming in to see the sounds, developers will see the need!!

Nashville REALLY needs some more family type entertainment. I've been several times, and since I love museums, and such, had a great time with the kids. And Cheekwood is WONDERFUL!! But I have friends who wanted to come to Nashville with their kids. They asked what there was to do with kids. Well, needless to say, museums and botanical gardens are NOT their thing. And I've noticed with MOST of my friends, if there isn't some sort of amusement park... their not interested. So I think it would be very much in the interest of Nashville to have an amusement park of some sort. I don't know where one would go... but there SHOULD be one.

But on to what I REALLY wish Nashville had. I wish it had more DOWNTOWN places for kids to go. It would be great if the Discovery Museum were downtown, instead of where it is. It would be great if the Zoo were downtown (ala lincoln park in chicago). I know the Zoo won't be moving downtown. But the Discovery Musuem.. is there a chance IT would move? Also, what if Downtown Nashville got something like the Imaginon (in Charlotte), a Children's Learning Center, Library, Theatre? They could even incorporate the Toy Museum (which I hear will have to move) into it. They could also have a Childrens Art Museum. We have one of those close to my house, and it is AMAZING. And its not something you can have in conjunction to a museum.... this thing is HUGE.. with a global village (that has pyramids from the Incas, adobe homes, african villages, and even the wailing wall with an archealogical dig site in Jerusalem)... And traveling exhibits that change every 2 months or so. Everything at the museum is interactive, and offers LOTS of activities for the kids. Also, Downtown REALLY needs a movie theater, AND an Imax... there is so much that could go in downtown that would be great for kids... AND that would bring more families to live in downtown, or at least to play there. AND it would make the area ALOT of fun. Other things I'd love to see in downtown? I'd love to see more boats on the cumberland (yeah, I know.. its not safe... but I've seen pics online of sailboats sailing past downtown. I'm sure if their were a minimum requirement (for how large a boat needs to be), you could still have PLENTY of action on the riverfront AND be safe at the same time. Also WATER TAXI's, or WATER BUSES (thats the new thing here) would be GREAT. That way they could even put some of these things on the other side of the RIVER, and still have it be connected to downtown, cause people could just hop into the watertaxis and go (the fare here is 2 dollars both ways, and takes a full 2 hours to go from start to finish... people go to work on it... I'm sure the fare could be cheaper for those only crossing from one side to the other...). I bet if some of these things were built on the other side of the river, along with some retail, and housing, and Water Taxis were in place for people to cross into downtown, that PLENTY of people would move to the other side, and MUCH MUCH MORE development would pop up over there. Just think.. anyone living and playing on the east side has that AWESOME view of downtown!! Maybe even the convention center should go there (they could even use the football stadium for SUPER HUGE conventions)... But anyways.. I got a bit off topic here... but bottom line... downtown could use alot MORE family friendly entertainment. Hopefully, with more families coming in to see the sounds, developers will see the need!!

I agree that Nashville needs more family friendly venues. It's a great place for adults to play, but there isn't much in the core for kids. BTW, the water taxi idea has been tried in one form here already. Opryland use to run water taxis from the hotel to downtown. If I remember right, they had to stop because they were eroding the river bank. I love your idea of a convention center on the east bank. I wonder why that hasn't been seriously pursued.

:rofl::rofl:

I think I could use a wailing wall about now.

I understand where you are coming from Dave.

I dont think they will move the Discovery Science Center since they just spent over a million on upgrades. There was talk at one time of moving it to Demonbreun but that is now history. As for the Zoo, it has already moved once form Cheatham County. That Zoo has tremendous potential as it has more acreage to work with than the San Diego Zoo or most any other major zoo in the U.S.

My thought about an attraction to Nashville would be an indoor/outdoor water park. I mean a really big water park like those found in The Wisconsin Dells or other major metro areas. Yes we have Nashville Shores but I would bet one on the East Bank would do well. Besides an indoor park could be used year round. Not necessarily by the stadium, but maybe where the truck stop and Stadium Inn is. That needs to disappear anyway.

In today's Wall Street Journal the Meadowlands Xanadu was profiled. Lets hope the Mills Company and Gaylord are not considering recreating this in Nashville. It is a pretty crazy "shoppertainment" concept. Indoor ski slope, ferris wheel, one-mile roller coaster with views of NYC skyline, F1 Track and much more. Though I guess there would be activities for families which I do agree we need. But why the garish architecture?

I think I could use a wailing wall about now.

LOL!! Dave, I get the impression you thought all this was out of doors. It's not. The global village is located INSIDE the museum walls... so no reason to wail just yet... hahahahahahahaha

Aaah, let's just add some more strip clubs. Put one in the top floor of the Signature and call it "Tony's G-Spot." :thumbsup:

:rofl: I highly doubt Tony G wants to get into that business! Especially with the new crackdown metro is supposedly doing.

I like the idea of a downtown in the Opry area... with all the touristy restaurants and clubs. I could see something like that going over well. I don't like the fact that it would take away from the real downtown however.

linclink, I'm not an expert on family/kids offerings, but the Nashville Children's Theatre is located at Howard School complex on 2nd Ave.

Also, I assume when referencing Discovery Science Center that this is the Adventure Science Center (formerly the Cumberland Science Center)

The Children's Theater is a source of pride for Nashville. It's the, or one of, the older companies in the U.S. and was ranked by Time magazine in '04 I believe as the 4th best children's theater program in the country. And yes, the 700 block of Second Avenue is downtown. The public library also offers extensive children's activities, the Frist's art education area is geared toward kids.

http://www.library.nashville.org/Kids/Links/programs.html

http://www.nashvillechildrenstheatre.org/

http://www.adventuresci.com/

..and as the kids get a bit older, let them try Rocketwn

http://www.rocketown.com/vision.php

Also, I assume when referencing Discovery Science Center that this is the Adventure Science Center (formerly the Cumberland Science Center)

Yes... thats what I was referecing (down here its the museum of Discovery and science... we don't have the Adventure in the name.. sorry). I know thats not downtown.. I think it would be cool if it were... but I'm sure they aren't moving anytime soon...

Hey Dave, thanks for the info.... Thats neat that they have that in downtown!!! Just a question.. do kids actually act in the childrens theater, or is it just for kids to watch? Either way its nice... but it'd be nice if they had classes, and plays and stuff for the kids to do. Well... never mind.. I'll just go and check out the link (duh) :P

A question... does the Adventure Science Center have an IMAX in conjunction with it? If not where is the IMAX?

Also... one thing that would be AWESOME in downtown would be a WannaDo City (though I don't know if they do Urban, or just the regular big box)!!! That place is AWESOME!!! And it would fit in sooo well with a downtown. Basically (for those who aren't familiar with it), the inside (of the building) is made into a downtown. When the kids arrive, they are given a check. They go to the bank and get a credit card, or cash (they choose). But its only a little money to start them off. Then the fun begins. They go to the hospital and do surgery on actual dummies (donated by the local hospital) with organs inside and stuff. There is a nursery where they must care for the babies... there are ambulances that run inside the town and they go on as paramedics (the ambulances are driven by adults in mini LRT type veihicles), and they go out to rescue people. Once they are done they get paid (wannado dollars). They can be fire fighters.. go to a burning building (in a firetruck.. again mini LRT type truck) and put the "fire" out... and on and on and on. There is EVERY job imaginable. From the grocery store, to the hair salon, to a theater where they act on stage (4 shows a day) to a circus, where again they are used as performers. There is even a REAL AIRPLANE inside where they get to go into the cockpit and learn about what its like to be an actual pilot. Let me tell you.. that is ONE cool place for kids. And in the winter.. it even "snows" in there (hey in Florida.. you take it where you can get it.. hahahaha).

I think THAT would be awesome in downtown (even if it were on the other east bank). And Smeagolsfree... if you ever start a petition for an indoor Water Park.. I'll be the first to sign! I was in one about 14 years ago in Sao Paulo, Brasil... and it was AWESOME!! Imagine what could be built today! I think THAT would be even better than a regular themepark (which already exists in East Tennessee, Kentucky AND St. Louis.. all within driving distances)... but with an Indoor Waterpark... people from all around would be driving to Nashville to go... THAT would be great! And I love the idea of having it somewhere on the east bank. I just hope they don't fill up the east bank with too many boxes (these things should look like actual buildings if they were ever built), cause I think residential towers would be AWESOME there. It would be nice to go down the river and have towers on both sides (ala the chicago river).

Archived