New highrise?

knightrider162

In my past couple of trips downtown ive noticed a rather large building going up in front of the Comfort Inn, close to the Ashley River bridges... I know the buildings behind that location are MUSC but does any one know the plans or anything for this one???

Its usually rare that a tall building not get like on the front pages and i was waiting for it...

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, the building in front of the Comfort Inn facing the Ashley River bridges is going to be an apartment complex. I don't think it's going to be that tall, though. Maybe 8 stories.

Behind the Comfort Inn is definitely all MUSC construction. A new hospital tower, power plant, and 1800-car garage are being built in that one block!

Actually, the building in front of the Comfort Inn facing the Ashley River bridges is going to be an apartment complex. I don't think it's going to be that tall, though. Maybe 8 stories.

Behind the Comfort Inn is definitely all MUSC construction. A new hospital tower, power plant, and 1800-car garage are being built in that one block!

..yep...those are condos in front of Comfort inn. The MUSC tower is getting up there pretty good though. I think it will be an iimpressive structure when finished.

Thank you for correcting me on this. I was told by an MUSC employee who works at the VA that the building that fronts Lockwood was also MUSC construction (in addition to the new hospital on Courtenay Drive), so obviously she was mistaken. I wondered how it was all needed for MUSC, so new apartments makes a lot more sense.

Yea. That new building in front of Comfort Inn seems really out of scale with the other buildings as you drive up Lockwood. It really towers over the street. The Comfort Inn and the SCFCU branch building are dwarfed by this new building.

The pump tower is pretty ugly looking. Its a pity it is in such a prominent location. However, the city needs it.

I'll probably take some photos over the weekend of the the MUSC complex, new condo tower, and pump station. In general, lots of construction going on downtown. Taco Bell has a new building on the cross town (old one was torn down).

The Morris Avenue development (I'On group) is also progressing. Lots of clean up taking place around this development. Its amazing how house prices are going through the roof up Rutledge Avenue.

I'll probably take some photos over the weekend of the the MUSC complex, new condo tower, and pump station. In general, lots of construction going on downtown. Taco Bell has a new building on the cross town (old one was torn down).

I happen to know that the original building was not torn down. The new KFC/Taco Bell is a RENOVATION project. Had they torn down the old building they would have had to raise the floor elevation several feet for flood requirements (similar to Hardees across the street). :thumbsup:

Part of the master plan for MUSC involves acquisition of some of the fast food restaurants, demolishing them, and building additions for the hospital such as a research building. One dream I have is for them to demolish the Harborview Tower on Hagood Avenue and rebuild it with better architecture and more stories, preferably making it 18-25 stories tall. The current building is just a gray box with little windows on it.

Actually, I like the new condo building. I think it fits in scale with the rest of the buildings on Lockwood. This area is the only place with modern, taller buildings. I can't wait to see how the new MUSC tower is looking!

I think the Comfort Inn and the SCFCU building are going to be eventually torn down for more apartments or another hotel. The location is too good for any hotel to pass up. It is an especially good location for out-of-town visitors seeing VA or MUSC patients.

Archived