Cruise Ship in the Sky

monsoon

Could the return of the dirigible be a new way to travel between cities in the USA?

More at this link.

I have to say its a beautiful ship. If they get it off the ground it might revolutionize air travel a bit, while not as fast as jet travel, there have to be significant savings in fuel and airport space. Its being designed by Worldwide Aeros Corporation

aeroscraft_550x440.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love the idea. It's doubtful that this would be much more than a flying playground for the very rich, but it's a wonderful idea. If the thing is cheap enough to operate and enough passengers can be crammed aboard uncomfortably, then perhaps commercial airlines will buy them. If not, it may become a new Concorde. I'd still love to travel aboard something like this!

I've seen proposals for large derigibles for awhile. there is a company right now that is supposedly close to having a super sized cargo one. They are talking about these things eventually being over 1000' long. It will be interesting to see if they become successful.

Kinda neat. Only problem is: Didn't derigibles go out of style for a reason? {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}What's the evacuation root in case of a fire?

Also interesting fact: The spire of hte Empire State building originally had a place for derigibles to hook up to it.

I've seen proposals for large derigibles for awhile. there is a company right now that is supposedly close to having a super sized cargo one. They are talking about these things eventually being over 1000' long. It will be interesting to see if they become successful.

The company Metro mentioned has something on their website about cargo/heavy lifting airships. Seems feasible for certain things that, as they said, need to be transported as a single, large component.

Here's another link of interest:

Zeppelin NT

That'd be awesome to see commuter airships transiting between nearby city to city with moorings on supertall skyscrapers! :thumbsup: Wasn't that the original intent for the Empire State Building mast? Quiet, clean, comfortable electric flight......maybe too impractical though....

Archived