Pawtucket Dining and Nightlife

Recchia

Love to hear it. And hon, if your stuff is as good as these guys swear it is, you could acheive the status of deity 'round these parts.

Hey, where is your business located? I'm thinking I might want to swing by sometime to impress a date.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
250 Main Street, Pawtucket. In the terrible "downtown loop". Menu is here: Kafe Lila and some directions can be found here: the Grant at 250

It's hard ot be one building, one cafe, one anything, and revive a downtown. I'm not saying we are courageously taking on people's downtrodden point of view and single handedly changing the world, but in a small way, I think we are, and it is difficult. But everoyne in the building has a great business that is growing, and a few people are even getting walk in clients... so it's happening slowly and steadily.

Went to Lila's yesterday. Great ice coffee. Large sofas to chill out on. Good vibe to the place. This is only the 2nd place I have ever been to in downtown Pawtucket, so it got me to come to town. Saw a guy sitting on a step drinking a Bud. Yeah, it was only 10:30 AM. Must of been thirsty :huh:

Went to Lila's yesterday. Great ice coffee. Large sofas to chill out on. Good vibe to the place. This is only the 2nd place I have ever been to in downtown Pawtucket, so it got me to come to town. Saw a guy sitting on a step drinking a Bud. Yeah, it was only 10:30 AM. Must of been thirsty :huh:

• 1 month later...

For those of you who have not yet been back to the the East Avenue Cafe, it has been opened again for a while now. I had the chance to speak with one of the new owners and they are really trying hard to get rid of the bad reputation that the place had gotten before it actuall closed. The restaurant has been renovated with new televisions and decor. The bar is now much more comfortable to sit at and enjoy a game. Last week while visiting I noticed that they are putting in a new liquor storage area in the corner of the bar (near the front door entrance.) It looks like it will be classy with walnut or oak shelving.

As for the food, they are trying. Gone are the pig roasts of the past. This is due to the City of Pawtucket would not allow the outdoor roasting pit to be used. Also the clam bakes that you could purchase over the web are gone. I have to admit the Fish and Chips are much better than before. I think the best thing they did was to serve the slaw in it's on bowl so it's not slopped on the plate with the fish. The portion is huge. I am a big guy and I still have trouble finishing it all. Another great idea is the Two for one Sandwich night on Tuesdays. Any two sandwiches from the menu for only $10 and the sandwiches dont have to be the same. I had a pulled pork sandwich and a friend had an Old Smokey Burger. One side comes with the sandwich. Also the place is trying something new, Breakfast on the weekends. I have gone twice for this. I have to be honest, it's was hit and miss. The first time was quite good, while the second time was rather disappointing. I think that they should stick to lunch and dinner crowds. Also, they still serve the complimentary soup with lunches so it was nice to see that back.

The place is also starting "Beer Dinners". One price for a complete dinner with a different beer for every course to compliment the food and the food to compliment the beer. These dinners are led by an expert from a local brewery.

The East Avenue Cafe now has a huge international selction of beers and ales.

I would encourage you all to give the East Avenue Cafe a try again! The bar and restaurant are now owned by one of the former bartenders from the good old days (pre 2005).

:alc:

I don't think its back to what it once was, but it is certainly a vast improvement of what it had become. I concur wholeheartedly on the fish and chips - a very generous portion, done very well. The beer selection is also quite solid.

East Ave. Cafe has regained its spot in the rotation of places the wife and I go when we want to watch the game, and grab a beer or two and some pub. That said it is usually not the first choice.

I'm really loving this place over the past 6 months or so. The wife and I try and hit this place on Monday night for 20 cent wings which are really good. The bartenders are extremely friendly and very helpful. I asked which Newport Storm Cyclone series beers they had and the bartender brought over the four different bottles for me to look at. They have an extensive selection of beers and are about to add 20 more taps. They have all sorts of specials on certain nights including live Irish music, beer dinners and brunch. If you are into sports like me, you will have no problem watching a game on one of their many TVs.

This place is a good neighborhood bar.

• 5 weeks later...

I just want to give a shout-out to East Ave Cafe...

We watched all of the Red Sox playoff games there (well, I watched the away games, since I was at all but one of the home games), and the place was just fantastic all around. Food was good, drinks plentiful and cheap, and everyone friendly and accommodating. AND, as the Sox completed the sweep of the Rockies, they gave our huge group several bottles of champagne to celebrate and thank us for making their place our place for the Sox. Just really really awesome. Thanks East Ave Cafe!

(Also made me happy to soon be living down the street at The Grant...)

• 8 months later...

man this place is gathering cobwebs!

Kafe Lila has been serving great lunches and brunches lately, try the veggie enchilada with guacamole. so good! Its gotten to the point where I crave Lila's iced coffee.. no one in RI comes even close to the smoothness and flavor of Lila's cold brew (the only place that comes in second to Lila is 1369 in Boston).

Have there been any new food developments in Pawtucket? I wish someone would move into the Mad House Cafe spot!

man this place is gathering cobwebs!

Kafe Lila has been serving great lunches and brunches lately, try the veggie enchilada with guacamole. so good! Its gotten to the point where I crave Lila's iced coffee.. no one in RI comes even close to the smoothness and flavor of Lila's cold brew (the only place that comes in second to Lila is 1369 in Boston).

Have there been any new food developments in Pawtucket? I wish someone would move into the Mad House Cafe spot!

I am also obsessed with her iced coffee. Now that I've started making breakfast every day, I only need to run in and grab coffee. I just can't get enough. In fact, I'm down to my last inch and want more!

I've really enjoyed having breakfast at Amy's on Pawtucket Ave (Job Lot plaza)...food's yummy and Amy is a lovely hostess.

Pawt finally gets its very own taco truck! My husband almost drove over the curb at the corner of Barton and Dexter when he saw the Mexican flag waving in the breeze. Thank God the people who sell blankets and shoes weren't there, as he probably would have taken out a small child or two, he was so excited.

And the tacos are good and cheap. Apparently they just started Thursday night, and every time we've gone by since, there have been at least ten people sitting and a couple more waiting in line.

Rumor has it that Don Nacho had been selling the tacos from his house for a year or so (right behind Portugalia Liquors) and finally got the $ for his own truck. I;ve got one happy Mexican in my house now.

Um, what's a taco truck and where is it?

West African cuisine coming to downtown

Thanks to a loan program from the city's Planning and Redevelopment Agency that will help pay for some building code improvements, a new West African restaurant will be opening up downtown by the early fall.

[/quote

A Taco Truck is a Mexican Restaurant on wheels. You can get an authentic taco (Pork, Beef or Chicken) for $1.00

Sorry I did not post the location as it was posted by GabachaYucateca two posts prior to mine.

It is in the parking lot at Barton and Dexter, across from the Dunkin D.

Um, what's a taco truck and where is it?

West African cuisine coming to downtown

Thanks to a loan program from the city's Planning and Redevelopment Agency that will help pay for some building code improvements, a new West African restaurant will be opening up downtown by the early fall.

Archived