Pawtucket Dining and Nightlife

Recchia

Is Jac's still open??

I finally decided to try them today and their phone number has been diconnected!

They appeared open the other night when I drove by...

And I thought I saw a craigslist ad for counter help from them. However, one never knows. The way Madhouse and even established places like Barney's went kaput almost overnight gives one pause.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They appeared open the other night when I drove by...

And I thought I saw a craigslist ad for counter help from them. However, one never knows. The way Madhouse and even established places like Barney's went kaput almost overnight gives one pause.

Whew! I finally tracked down a working phone number and they are still open! It just happens that neither the phone number listed on their website, nor the one listed in Superpages, Google Local etc is correct.

They still need to work on some things, though. There's still not adequate signage to indicate that there is a business there to passing cars, and you can't tell from the street when driving if they're open or not. I don't think there are hours posted anywhere on the establishment, and I get the feeling that "when we're there" is kind of their hours system right now.

Rasoi opened as promised. Unfortunately the weather did not cooperate with them for an opening night. It was pretty slow, but then again there was nobody in LJ's or the Garden Grille either. for that matter, I think there was one couple at Chez Pascal and maybe two at Oak. Just a slow night for dining out. Of all those places, Rasoi was the busiest.

If it weren't for the threat of rain, I would have brought my digi to try and capture the sign. It is a brushed stainless sign (or at least, it is made to look like brushed stainless or maybe brushed nickel) with the restaurant logo cut-out of the block and back-lit. It actually looks really good. Of course the problem with it is that it is a horizontal sign along the face of the building, and you can't really get the effect of it unless you are approaching the restaurant itself. From East Ave/Hope St. it just looks like a hunk of metal on the building.

I didn't even check out the menu, I was just walking by to check it out. I also haven't been to K&C in years so I'm not sure what their menu looks like nowadays. For some reason I always end up somewhere else when I go to Thayer and whenever I am in the mood for Indian I end up at Not Just Snacks or Taste of India.

I will probably try it out in the next week or so and will give a full report.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
I peaked my head in the door and picked up a menu the first day they opened. Interior is modern, hip, bright. Menu is different than K & C I believe (although haven't been to KC in years). Had a section called "mini- meals" and some Indian dishes I have not seen before (although the menu on their website below does not include those mini meals for some reason). Looks interesting.

Rasoi

My Brothers Pub on the corner of Columbus and the Industrial Hwy is being sold after 30 years. It was allegedly the first "pub" in Rhode Island.

Not what you'd call a great restaurant, but not bad if you just want beer n' snacks. I'm looking forward to seeing what replaces it. It's right near the ballpark, so a family-type restaurant would probably be a good if tired idea.

My Brothers Pub on the corner of Columbus and the Industrial Hwy is being sold after 30 years. It was allegedly the first "pub" in Rhode Island.

Not what you'd call a great restaurant, but not bad if you just want beer n' snacks. I'm looking forward to seeing what replaces it. It's right near the ballpark, so a family-type restaurant would probably be a good if tired idea.

• 1 month later...

I think this is an important point:

"We have to realize we're going to have losses as we go forward" trying to foster business development, Scown said of PBDC. "At least we're trying and that's more than some cities and towns can say."

What a shame..

Seems to me that they could have kept the Crazy Burger feel and not spent so much money on Morris Nathanson to design the place, I went there a whole bunch but always thought they were trying to appeal to these moneyed people that lived where? Certainly not near the Apex?

I never felt really comfortable when i went there, like i was a bit too scruffy and the no budweiser thing was just ridiculous.

That being said, I'll miss the place.. there is a huge hole left downtown in its wake.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I give up on Jac's Wraps...

I'm driving down from Boston this afternoon, it's 55 degrees out, people everywhere, so on the way home I decide to pull into Jac's wraps at about 3:05 PM to get a smoothie. I pop out of the car and - closed...

That's right. Sunday afternoon, beautiful day, it's closed. There aren't even any hours posted anywhere on a door or in a window...

I give up. I'm running a 4:1 ratio of closed:open when I swing by, and this is at all hours on all days. I'm not even going to look anymore. The owner seems like a nice guy, I love the wraps, they did a great job with the building, but... You've got to be open, or at least indicate when you're going to be open... If they go under, I'll be sad, but won't be shocked either (they still don't have decent signage they are there in the first place...)...

So I went to Three Sisters Cafe (the former Maximillians in Oak Hill) for my smoothie fix instead. I've looked hard (and unsuccessfully) in Providence for smoothies as good as I make at home, and now I've finally found a place. The smoothie I had here was nearly perfect, a great blend between icy and creamy and with all natural fruit ingredients (no "syrups" that substitute as fruit). Very sweet. They say they are using the old Maximillians ice cream equipment and recipes (with the suggestion that perhaps some equipment needed to be replaced... "Everything we've added or replaced is for the better, trust us."). The interior is a bit redone, with some stools here, a couch there, wall hangings everywhere to give it more of a cafe feel, but it's all obviously done on a budget...

So, unfortunately, is their barely-there signage. In fine Providence tradition, their signage is invisible, a postage stamp sized plastic banner hanging above the door with near invisible grey lettering-on-black background...

- Garris

• 2 months later...

I asked the staff at the Garden Grille about what was going on with the Russian Market (in the shopping plaza on East Avenue - you know, where Barney's Bagels used to be). They said it was going to be a Dunkin Donuts. I hope this rumor is not true, but I thought I'd spread it anyway... Has anyone heard anything different?

Archived