• Madison
    • Chicago
    • St. Louis
    • KC
    • Minneapolis/St. Paul

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally I wanted to poll large cities all across the US to see how they all ranked compared to one another but since I can only list 15 per poll I will try to break it up into sections. In a few weeks or maybe longer, I will take the ending results and form one MEGA poll.

I am really looking for your picks of best cities based on first hand knowledge - you live/have lived there or traveled there quite a bit. Please give examples of why you picked your favorite city and anything else you wish to add.

Very hard to choose just one...

Cleveland- great, solid downtown, fantastic art museum

St. Louis- Forest Park is amazing, downtown has lots of great buildings and great potential

Chicago- the city with big shoulders- enough said- The Capital of the Midwest

Cincinnati- lots of nice buildings- great river setting

Columbus- Good, solid city- too many landmarks demolished for me to love this city- still pleasant

Louisville- Midewstern+Southern- an attractive mix- lots of things to do- nice history

Will add more....

• 2 weeks later...

Chicago should be removed from this poll, b/c it is by far the greatest city in the midwest. It is the 3rd best city in this country behind NYC and San Diego.

Anyways, I have lived in Cleveland and Columbus, and visited Detroit, Cincinnati, St Louis, and Milwaukee. I voted for Columbus, b/c it was the cleanest, and easiest to get around in and compared to the other cities, it is actually growing and expanding. They are also finally getting a nice downtown development boom for housing and retail. Columbus is a real up and comer while many of those other cities continue to lose population to the suburbs or to other regions altogether.

Sounds like Minneapolis is pretty cool, but the big problem there is how cold it gets there. One of my friends moved there and said their are days in the summer where he has to wear a jacket or a sweater. I prefer to be able to wear shorts for more than a couple months out of the year, and hate cold winter weather.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a reason why Detroit is "dirty". I challenge the skyline guy to find out the reason on his own. Perhaps along the way, he'd find out why so many people fall in love with Detroit.

And for those who say the Midwest doesn't have real cities, try telling that to the people of Detroit who have lived here to uphold what some might call an American disaster and lifting up their community through thick and thin. These are the true champions. If anything, the Midwest has the most significant cities in the entire country. The human capital that the interior USA produces is heavily appreciated on the coasts because the roots of these people are essentially the ones who rise to the top and define the global influences of the American coasts. Likewise with the coasts though, too. So, sorry, I happily disagree.

Besides, Detroit is an international coastal city. ;)

cbd%2085.jpg

I completely beg to differ. I have lived in Detroit since 1971. The city is ugly, the city and state are in serious financial difficulty, politics (of the bad kind) is rampant, crime is horrible, and it is THE most segregated city in the U.S. This is not my idea of a fun place, but it's impossible to sell a home and move.

There's a reason why Detroit is "dirty". I challenge the skyline guy to find out the reason on his own. Perhaps along the way, he'd find out why so many people fall in love with Detroit.

And for those who say the Midwest doesn't have real cities, try telling that to the people of Detroit who have lived here to uphold what some might call an American disaster and lifting up their community through thick and thin. These are the true champions. If anything, the Midwest has the most significant cities in the entire country. The human capital that the interior USA produces is heavily appreciated on the coasts because the roots of these people are essentially the ones who rise to the top and define the global influences of the American coasts. Likewise with the coasts though, too. So, sorry, I happily disagree.

Besides, Detroit is an international coastal city. ;)

cbd%2085.jpg

I completely beg to differ. I have lived in Detroit since 1971. The city is ugly, the city and state are in serious financial difficulty, politics (of the bad kind) is rampant, crime is horrible, and it is THE most segregated city in the U.S. This is not my idea of a fun place, but it's impossible to sell a home and move.

and yay, another resurected thread turning into a midwest pissing contest. The title of this thread is "FAVORITE" midwest city. There is not right or wrong answer. No tangible way to gauge OPINION. Whether you like or dislike a place has no bearing on why it's someone elses favorite. Potential pissing contest over, topic closed.

Archived