Bad Bridges

Tre 4

Why do we have some of the worst bridges, and have to wait to 2011 to get new ones to replace the old bridges? Forsyth County has what AAA called the state's worst bridge -- the Business Interstate 40 bridge that passes over Liberty Street. The 51-year-old bridge, which carries 3,000,500 vehicles a month , is scheduled to be replaced in 2011.

http://www.wxii12.com/news/7048998/detail.html

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know where you can find this information, but it would be interesting to see how much on the dollar Winston-Salem (and, for that matter, other cities in NC) get back for every tax dollar the city's residents send to Raleigh and Washington. I know that New York City gets a lot less back from Albany and Washington in taxes than the citizens of the city pay. For instance, a NY state judge ruled that the state owes the city over $20 billion for its schools.

Does anyone know where to find that information for NC cities?

i would like to know that as well, but for Georgia. I was under the impression that Atlanta took most of the money in the state until a wise UP poster corrected me. I have done the math and that person is correct. Atlanta does not get near its return on tax dollars. neither does smaller cities such as Augusta, Macon, Columbus, etc. I guess it's all relative.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. NC Bridges. W-S needs alot of work. It is good to see that atleast some are slated for replacement.

i would like to know that as well, but for Georgia. I was under the impression that Atlanta took most of the money in the state until a wise UP poster corrected me. I have done the math and that person is correct. Atlanta does not get near its return on tax dollars. neither does smaller cities such as Augusta, Macon, Columbus, etc. I guess it's all relative.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. NC Bridges. W-S needs alot of work. It is good to see that atleast some are slated for replacement.

The thing that stinks is that they won't be widening the new Bus 40 bridge at all. They need to take out the interchange at Cherry St and make long acceleration and deacceleration lanes.

Well theres one bridge the DOT can mark off. The Green St. Bridge was hit by a confused truck driver yesterday. Apparently, he was confused on which 40 to take. Guess he found out huh. But really, this just gives us more reasons to rename all these bussiness routes around here.

Yea me too. I kno the Liberty St. Bridge on Bus 40 is one of the states worst. Bus 40 and Winston seem to claim alot of them. As for the green st. bridge, Fox 8 said it will probley be closed for good. It's been planned for replacement for awhile anyway, but with the DOT like it is. It will still be years away.

Well theres one bridge the DOT can mark off. The Green St. Bridge was hit by a confused truck driver yesterday. Apparently, he was confused on which 40 to take. Guess he found out huh. But really, this just gives us more reasons to rename all these bussiness routes around here.

Take a look at this story in the W/S Journal today. The guy was hauling an oversized load from Florida. His permit said the route he should take was "I-40 East to I-40 BYP to I-40 East." He didn't see any signs for a BYP 40 so he took BUS 40. Like he said, "If the permit would have said, 'Just stay on 40,' I would have stayed on 40. The permit's really confusing." I have to agree with him.

It doesn't surprise me that Winston-Salem has 4 of the 20 worst bridges in the state. For decades, it seems as if W-S doesn't exist in Raleigh's eyes.
If you're implying that NCDOT only (preferrentially) funds roads in the Triangle, that's a load of bull. ALL of NC's cities are way behind on transportation funding. If you're going to say that W-S doesn't exist in Raleigh's eyes, you'll have to say that Raleigh doesn't exist in Raleigh's eyes, either.

Did you look at the list? Did you happen to notice that FOUR of the worst bridges in the state are in Wake County as well? And then notice that THREE of the four in Forsyth are scheduled for replacement by 2011, while NONE of the four bad bridges in Wake are on the program yet. (the I-440 bridge is part of a yet-unscheduled - past 2013 - widening project.)

So, yeah. W-S is not alone. ALL of NC's cities have serious issues when it comes to public infrastructure.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived