STOREFRONTS

Mark Miller

There is a new storefront near the corner of Wealthy and Fuller that Bazzani Associates just completed.

I would like to take this opportunity to commend the people at Bazzani that did this project, it is truly refreshing to see someone do a decent storefront. (The building reconstruction / rehabilition looks very good as well).

Lately, it seems, that there have been many storefronts, both new and rehabilitated, that fall way short of what is appropriate. Almost every storefront that has recently been inserted into Monroe Center seems to have been done by someone who is not paying attention to what makes a traditional storefront.

A storefront is one of the easiest things to architecturally design and there are so many good examples of traditional ones that can be used as precedent. There should be no excuse to do them poorly, in either detail or materials.

Another good storefront is the Lott3Metz office storefront. It is basic, correctly proportioned and utilizes materials properly. Compare and contrast to what is happening on Monroe Center or at the Tini Bikini.

Anyone who has photos of good (or bad) storefonts that can be discussed here is welcome to share them.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a new storefront near the corner of Wealthy and Fuller that Bazzani Associates just completed.

I would like to take this opportunity to commend the people at Bazzani that did this project, it is truly refreshing to see someone do a decent storefront. (The building reconstruction / rehabilition looks very good as well).

Another good storefront is the Lott3Metz office storefront. It is basic, correctly proportioned and utilizes materials properly. Compare and contrast to what is happening on Monroe Center or at the Tini Bikini.

Thanks GR.TP, I'll pass the word to the big guy.

Two of my favorite storefront renovations are Wealthy Bakery and Art of the Table. All of the renovations are appropriate for the building. The windows, doors, awnings and even planters are all executed in a way that integrates well into the historic district. The paint selection and graphics of the two businesses also complement each other. It also helps to have such successful businesses occupying the area. Boy does the bakery do a good business or what!

The storefront of Wealthy at Charles is pretty inviting as well.. If I remember right, Olive in EGR only did an 'OK' job of rennovating their store front. I haven't been out there in a while.

Olives does not seem to be very busy. At least not like Roses. No atmosphere - you can tell by just driving by. I don't think it will last. There hasn't been any buzz about it and nobody I know has been there. That area has a hard time with restaurants which is suprising to me. Jade Pig needs to find a winner of a restaurant for its new complex. I think a Big Bowl is an excellent choice, but I would rather it be downtown!

I've been to Olive's. I'd say it's okay, nothing spectacular. The menu is too small. The space is pretty small, too. I sort of wish the greasy burger place was still there, I like options. GR needs to realize that everything counts - food, atmosphere, storefront, service... Too much trying to be everything to everybody, not enough being really good at something. But this is more restaurant review thread...

Two of my favorite storefront renovations are Wealthy Bakery and Art of the Table. All of the renovations are appropriate for the building. The windows, doors, awnings and even planters are all executed in a way that integrates well into the historic district. The paint selection and graphics of the two businesses also complement each other. It also helps to have such successful businesses occupying the area. Boy does the bakery do a good business or what!

At night, those two storefronts are just awesome to go past.

Now if only the people across the street would do the same. :whistling:

Complete and utter trash. :) is basically the same era as Wealthy Street Bakery but it has seen better days and has barred up windows. I hope someone takes this building and rehabs it probably (probably four storefronts).

I also agree that the facades on Monroe Center leave a lot to be desired. No variety from building to building, nothing ornate, almost prefab looking.

It still looks a heck of a lot better than Yen Ching did with its tile front. :shok:

And while on the topic of facade's on Monroe, who in the hell picked out the door of XO? It looks like something you get at Menard's; not cool.

Joe

I can't picture what is across the street?

Thanks GRTP! :thumbsup: Check out the pictures that dbrok posted in the picture of the day thread.

Archived