DOWNTOWN SAN JOSE BALLPARK CONCEPT

surrill

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah! Just what we need. <_< There are things on which that kind of money would be much better spent. We don't need a pro-ball team. Leave that to San Francisco and Oakland.....

WHAT?!?! How can you be so short sighted! Yes, a stadium would be expensive to build. But the economic impact could be great. The tax revenue from the shopping from the people it would bring, the hotel tax.. Say for example a new stadium cost 100 million to build. And over 20 years of use, the economic impact it created, generated over 2 billion in tax money.. Would you not agree that was a worthwhile investment? To make, you have invest. Government taxing people for all the income needed to run all the services required the population requires is crazy. San Jose needs this kind of development. More city recognizing means more jobs and more money and a better standard of life..

I hear that the studium is going to be built by bond money anyway.. its not going effect the budget anyway...

Depends on how they approach it. It seems like these projects are often not well thought out. Build it out of the way, like Candlestick (and yes, it is Candlestick!!! At least to me). Localize the traffic issues that are likely to be generated away from the downtowns. I personally don't like being on the Embarcadero when there is a game at PacBell. Traffic on 101 was a bit easier to deal with, not sure how it'd affect our local freeways. They're already bad enough with the gross incompetence of 99% of the drivers on them. I'd rather see money stuffed into public transit that actually works. A better standard of life? Yeah, for the pro-ball players. Ask the homeless in S.F. how PacBell has made their lives better. If it is built, let's hope it's not by the same people working on SJ Intl. - a third grader could have implemented a better design there....

Sorry, it's nothing personal, but I'm just not interested in pro-sports venues in San Jose irregardless of whatever revenue might or might not be made by a stadium.

i hope it gets built..we need it bad...this is a town of a million people...we need to urbanize....we cannot have a suburb of a million people....no way!!!! san jose is slowly but surely turning into a real "City" and those who dont like it and wanna live in the 'burbs, get out tha way and go to los banos!!! a ball park is a great start..hope fully after that we can get some 500 footers in north sj and coyote.....

.............................................MULACHY FOR MAYOR!!!!>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

i hope it gets built..we need it bad...this is a town of a million people...we need to urbanize....we cannot have a suburb of a million people....no way!!!! san jose is slowly but surely turning into a real "City" and those who dont like it and wanna live in the 'burbs, get out tha way and go to los banos!!! a ball park is a great start..hope fully after that we can get some 500 footers in north sj and coyote.....

In the grand scheme of things, is a ballpark a measure of greatness? And what exactly do you mean by a "real" city? Don't get me wrong, there's a lot I like about my native San Jose, but aren't we already a real city?

Now, Santa Clara is the "burbs". Los Banos is BF Egypt at best!!! :lol: (no offense to any of you Los Banonites! :silly: )

In the grand scheme of things, is a ballpark a measure of greatness? And what exactly do you mean by a "real" city? Don't get me wrong, there's a lot I like about my native San Jose, but aren't we already a real city?

Now, Santa Clara is the "burbs". Los Banos is BF Egypt at best!!! :lol: (no offense to any of you Los Banonites! :silly: )

lol yea los banos is pretty bad....but no i disagree, san jose is not a "city"..... i mean it is, but i mean a 24 hr city;......high density, high rises, public transportaion, a vibrant downtown, art and CULTURE.....thats what we need....CULTURE......we dont have that here......we re the 10th largest city but its more like 10th largest municipality.....listen, i can respect the fact that maybe u enjoy a less crowded san jose, but the reality is that like it or not, its growing, and its gonna keep growing and growing and growing, and guess what??? there isnt much land to build on after coyote valley, so we have no choice but to go high density and taller with more options on transportation such as bart and more light rail lines....its simply going to happen and its happening......we re getting bigger....people wanna live here....the weather is great , the views from the hills are beautiful, we have beaches over the mountain, gambling 4 hrs away, skiing 3 hrs away, fishing, shopping, wine tasting, jobs , u name it!!! so if the people keep comming and comming, lets give em some more entertainment......lets give em baseball, foot ball, hockey, basket ball , lets start our own culture.....lets get the caucasian, mexican, african american, asian cultures that enrich san jose, throw em in a pot and come up with this unique flavor that u can only find in sj......the days of orchards and canneries are over my friend....to many people wanna live here.might as well prepare for the growth, accept it and make these people feel at home....a great way to start is with a beautiful downtown stadium and a team that people in the valley can be proud of..

Well, I'll give you that; it is a bit mundane, isn't it? ;) I'm definitely not opposed to growth; I'd love to see a serious skyline in San Jose!! (Of course they kinda need to keep it on one side of SJIntl.'s approach path, ya think?) But like you said, we have a lot of color and culture here. I'm just not seeing how a ballpark will add to that.... :huh: I see what you're saying though, and I can buy it. (The Sharks ain't cuttin' it....? :lol: ) You're right, San Jose isn't a 24 hour city, true enough.

I'd just rather see the money spent elsewhere at this time. Heck, I'd be happy if the city would just get some of its more poorly maintained streets paved....!! :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

well again, you mentioned the streets being paved. You can't get the streets paved if there is not enough money from taxes. I would assume that you owe a home here. Do you want your property taxes to go higher to pay for the homeless/streets when it can come from other places? I am not sure how old you are, but I have talked to a lot of older people that have lived here most of their lives and they all say the same.. They are happy with San Jose the way it is. San Jose has alot of potental to make alot of money from events and other things. If we don't get the money another city will.. Like SF. I do agree with you about traffic issues. I am a huge supporter of public transportation. I feel that this country would be alot stronger if we did invest more in public transit. But again, property taxes alone can not pay for everything that we need. But again, having these things downtown will boost the density and it will utililize the transit system we have. I do not want san jose to gain size as in land area but in density. ENOUGH with this spreading out crap. I like being able to live downtown and then drive 20 minutes and get nothing up mountains and trees.. This city is great and hopfully it will only get better!!

• 3 years later...

Archived