SW Virginia Population Estimates: 2005

weill

City/County............................2005 Estimate.................% Change

Alleghany County.......................17,200.............................0.0%

Bedford County..........................63,000.............................5.3%

Botetourt County........................31,800.............................4.3%

Craig County..............................5,100..............................0.0%

Floyd County..............................14,800............................6.5%

Frankiln County..........................50,100............................5.9%

Giles County..............................16,500............................-1.2%

Henry County............................55,100............................-4.8%

Montgomery County...................87,900.............................5.1

Pulaski County...........................34,400............................-2.0%

Roanoke County.........................90,000...........................4.9%

Bedford......................................6,200...........................-1.6%

Covington..................................5,800............................-7.9%

Martinsville................................14,700...........................-4.5%

Radford.....................................15,500..........................-2.5%

Roanoke....................................93,600.........................-1.4%

Roanoke Metro..........................635,000.........................2.5%

Salem........................................25,100.........................3.2%

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, Steven, I am just curious what is driving the growth in your area.. new jobs.. retirees?
It's primarily retirees and commuters. The job growth is mostly in the service sector.

well i live in the city that is about to become a town (martinsville) and the city that declines and the county that grows (Roanoke)
I was for Martinsville-Henry County consolidation before, but it sounds like the county is going to pull against if for financial reasons. What's your take?

There was an article in Friday's paper about population in the area. http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/wb/xp-50089

I'm still annoyed about the Roanoke mayor saying last year or so that he wasn't bothered by Roanoke's decline in population. He didn't think it was a big deal. Maybe he was just trying to put on a brave face about it but it seems to me a steady, consistent decline is something to worry about.

yeah, but here in martinsville, we HATE the county, atleast from what im around....oh well, im leaving to go to Roanoke right now so i will talk to yall later
Really? ididn't realize that there was that much of a rivalry. You learn something new everyday.

Have a good time in Roanoke.

yeah i guess some people have to rivalry with henry county, including me.

yeah i went to roanoke yesterday and i went to the Roanoke Dazzle B-Ball game and they wanted me to do the Utz chesse ball eating contest....and I WON!! Luckly K92 was there and gave me more than what the Staff at the RCC gave me.

• 1 year later...

These statistics confirm the fact Roanoke/Salem/Roanoke County is really a city of 208,000 with a metro area of approximately 500,000. Also, the valley as it is called(which is just an urban area) is a trade/service area of over a million people. Most people who don't live here misunderstand the low population figures for this area. As we see all around us, the valley is now a built up urban area. Future growth will spill over into Botetourt, Bedford and Franklin Counties. We must all become aware of growth issues and how it will change the quality of life we currently enjoy. We can't stop it but we must plan for it now.

These statistics confirm the fact Roanoke/Salem/Roanoke County is really a city of 208,000 with a metro area of approximately 500,000. Also, the valley as it is called(which is just an urban area) is a trade/service area of over a million people. Most people who don't live here misunderstand the low population figures for this area. As we see all around us, the valley is now a built up urban area. Future growth will spill over into Botetourt, Bedford and Franklin Counties. We must all become aware of growth issues and how it will change the quality of life we currently enjoy. We can't stop it but we must plan for it now.

• 2 months later...

Archived