Economic Competitiveness

PVDJack

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably not... I don't think the private schools have to participate in the standardized testing...

If you're interested in the privates, the best thing to do is talk to parents of students already there, as they usually shopped multiple schools and are intimate with the performance of their own...

- Garris

I do already go to a private school - I'm a Mountie. :D It would just be interesting to how we compare.

Anyways, in my biased opinion, I do think private schools are better. First, I have loads of work, which is annoying but a good thing (I have at least 4 hours of homework a night, but this is because of honors classes). On the way to school I see kids getting on school buses that aren't even carrying books.

Recchia - what school did you go to?

Anyways, back to my chemistry homework. :D

Biotech company to add 450 workers. At the news conference announcing the expansion by Amgen Inc., House and Senate leaders unveil new legislation to keep biotechnology and biomanufacturing companies expanding in the state. [ProJo.com]

After years of an anti business and anti wealth attitude the democratic controlled legislature is finally seeing the light. If we could only vote in a couple of more republicans. Reducing the tax on the wealtheist Rhode Islanders is another great move and will probably help in filling all those multi hundred thousand (million) dollar condos being built down city with some new money from out of state.

Mark

Recchia - what school did you go to?

Anyways, back to my chemistry homework. :D

The one and only Bishop Hendricken.

I'll admit, I get flustered when the whole Catholic School thing is brought up. I'm sure my experience was not the norm at Hendricken, but it was at least for my class. It just always felt like hypocrisy was at its best when I was there. It's a shame too, because there are some really great teachers there, particularly in the science and math departments. The others bring them down.

In addition to this good news, Forbes Magazine ranked Providence in the top 50 out of 200 for best city to start a business!

Wow, do you have a link to that article, I wonder how we rank that while, what the criteria are.

providence metro is actually ranked 37 with boston and hartford metros at 40 and 41. i wonder how they got the populations... providence's seems low and they have new york metro at only 9 million (i thought it was 16).

It looks like they broke them down a little different than the Census. I like their way better. :D Anyway I noticed that Newark was listed as a seperate metro of 2M or something. So they divided it way differently.

It looks like they broke them down a little different than the Census. I like their way better. :D Anyway I noticed that Newark was listed as a seperate metro of 2M or something. So they divided it way differently.

i guess when thinking about starting a business, you can't really count some of the places in the actual new york metro to be part of the new york metro... it really can skew the results. they probably pulled bridgeport out of there as well. my guess is the thought behind that is how many people from new york would support a business in newark? that's a tough one...

i guess when thinking about starting a business, you can't really count some of the places in the actual new york metro to be part of the new york metro... it really can skew the results. they probably pulled bridgeport out of there as well. my guess is the thought behind that is how many people from new york would support a business in newark? that's a tough one...

Well ... people from the city do go out in the "tri state area" to go shopping for, say, cars. I think the Mercedes dealership in Danbury, CT draws a lot of rich folks from the city.

Well ... people from the city do go out in the "tri state area" to go shopping for, say, cars. I think the Mercedes dealership in Danbury, CT draws a lot of rich folks from the city.

might be able to get better deals on cars outside the city (there are car dealerships in manhattan, believe it or not). but as far as other businesses are concerned, i think they pretty much have it all right there. it's truly amazing, in my opinion... in many cases, you never have to leave your immediate neighborhood for months, except to go to work and have fun.

http://www.projo.com/business/content/proj...1.1c905a56.html

once again, not sure what the purpose of these articles are... definately not a morale booster :rolleyes:

What I don't understand is how it seems like we've got some good things going on (Fidelity+ Amgen expanding here more with high paying jobs, maybe Bristol Myers, the possibility for taxes to be at a level playing field for all of our residents compared to our neighboring states at last, statewide WI-FI, this biotech bill http://www.pbn.com/contentmgr/showdetails.php/id/120836 and our core city ultimately being healthier than it has been in a while)

why such a negative outlook?

• 4 weeks later...

In addition to this good news, Forbes Magazine ranked Providence in the top 50 out of 200 for best city to start a business!

Mark

Good but not good enough, that means their are 49 other places better to start a business

Is your glass half full, or half empty. This means that there are 150 other worst places to do business. :thumbsup:

Well 150 other places on the list. My comparison is similar to Search Engines. When your doing a search how far will you go until you click an option. While some users might look and look, most will only glance at the first page or top ten before moving on. While I'm happy were at 50 I hope the next time this list comes out our rating is higher, witch I exspect it will be.

Well 150 other places on the list. My comparison is similar to Search Engines. When your doing a search how far will you go until you click an option. While some users might look and look, most will only glance at the first page or top ten before moving on. While I'm happy were at 50 I hope the next time this list comes out our rating is higher, witch I exspect it will be.

Most will only scan, but companies seriously evaluating a move or location for a startup will dig deep. However, the main location for a business starting *anywhere* is that the owner lives nearby. Have RI be a place that fosters an entrepreneurial mindset and development options and businesses will grow because the people who start them are already here.

Example, if all the local universities had entrepreneurial studies programs, especially tied to business schools, as well as active technology transfer programs, there would be more business starts here.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the single biggest concern I have with RI's long term health:

Unfunded Pension Stats

I read an article recently about a retired principle in RI. He retired when he was 55! This is common. This is unsustainable economically. You are talking about 25 years of escalating pension payments, along with health care costs, for every single retired civil servant. When you look around and wonder how it is we can be paying the 6th highest taxes in the nation and yet have medicore schools, poor roads, and ill-kept public places, you have to start with this issue.

• 9 months later...

Archived