St. Mary's Healthcare Construction

snoogit

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

The round about looks like a spitting image of the one that was opened to the public last December at Third and Western. Who was the engineering firm? The raised brick section is called a truck apron and is for trucks with long trailers to allow them to make the turn without going over the curb. I can tell you that a lot of people here in Muskegon confuse it for a sidewalk though, which is not the safest situation. . .

Anyone taken a spin on the new roundabout yet? It's open. I'm not sure why there is that raised brick section in the middle.

1472386869_74f9ded0d5_b.jpg

Hope Lodge putting up their signs:

1472390165_a010acf244_b.jpg

Is this pourous asphalt I see in Hope Lodge's parking lot?

1473240028_3830c91c1c_b.jpg

• 1 month later...
It's funny this got brought up today because the lecture this morning in my Site Planning class was about parking lots, and the prof mentioned this new pervious (rather than impervious) asphalt technology. Apparently they have to vaccume the asphalt regularly to keep it from clogging up.

The porous asphalt is quite interesting. I heard a little about it a while back, we initially thought it would be quite susceptible to damage with freeze thaw (intuitively it would be letting water get into and under the pavement). Traditionally, you want a good seal on the pavment to keep water out. Once it starts to crack then you really get the freeze thaw. I guess part of the reason it does not have freeze thaw issues is because it is so well drained. Drainage is on of the absolute needs for a good pavement, even in locations of year round warm conditions.

One thing to note that they touched on briefly, it has low shear strength. This will resulting rutting, which is why it is not usable on roads or in any high loading situation. It wont work on slopes either because the stresses from vehicle travel up the slope will cause 'slippage' the pavement will detach from the base etc. Lets hope that there is not a daily garbage truck going to collect somewhere in the lot.

Does anyone know if this counts toward LEED certification?

The round about looks like a spitting image of the one that was opened to the public last December at Third and Western. Who was the engineering firm? The raised brick section is called a truck apron and is for trucks with long trailers to allow them to make the turn without going over the curb. I can tell you that a lot of people here in Muskegon confuse it for a sidewalk though, which is not the safest situation. . .

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived