Triangle relocation thread

harringtonhouse

Brier Creek is a safe area crime-wise. It is, however, on the remote edges of the city, about 10-12 miles or so from DTR. It is, however, at the intersection of a major thoroughfare (Glenwood and 540), that makes it convenient if you don't mind the drive. If your Ex doesn't care so much about the walkable part or whether she shops chain stores, there is plenty in that area as far shopping goes (Walmart, Target, Barnes & Noble, a ton of restaurants and on and on). A straight drive south on Glenwood gets you to Crabtree and ultimately downtown, or going for a short drive east on 540 gets you to the Triangle Town Center/Capital Blvd. area. Sandwiched between those two along 440, you have North Hills. So if she doesn't mind a bit of driving or taking the bus to go to anything besides Brier Creek, its a good area. Looking towards the future, its an area the city considers a "node" for development and will most likely get a rail stop once that gets built.

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Downtown has three hotels Clarion, Sheraton, and Marriott (cheapest to most expensive in that order I think) and a motel (Comfort Inn? help...). I bet they are all cheapish by your NY economic standards :P ...I think Clarion might be around 100ish a night but am not sure. Brier Creek (see the Dorthea Dix thread for heated discussion), is very safe, and new, and a typical suburban setup, somewhat like Meadowmont I think you visited in Chapel Hill(?) but less urban in design (meaning not like a downtown) but is nicer looking than some other subdivisions in the area.

Thanks guys, just the type of info I was looking for. I don't might driving within 10 minutes of downtown. I plan on doing it every day though. Is there a good central location in downtown where I could park my car and walk around and catch the prominent sites? I don't mind doing long walks (2 hours or so). I think I would get a better feel on foot if that's possible.

That extended hotel option is definitely worth a look. I'm looking at around 13 nights, so I'll look into that. I know, when I was searching Chapel Hill with my wife, it took us two separate, one week visits, to get a good feel for the area. I'm hoping two weeks in downtown should be enough, especially since I will be alone this time except for a Realtor and can go out exploring at my own leisure.

Thanks

If you stay at a downtown hotel, they of course, have their own parking, and I think its free for guests (not big cities). Most parking is free after 5 (sometimes 7pm) and on weekends except if there is a large special event. The realtors who specialize in downtown will be able to help you with attractions too. Some even have websites touting just that sort of thing. Ann-Cabel Baum Anderson is probably the most visible and active of the downtown realtors who also promote the area as a whole. Her website recaps the properties we have discussed. Also the Downtown Raleigh Alliance, and Cabel's other site get into attractions and such. The Convention and Visitors Bureau may be useful to you. Try a show at the Progress Energy Center for the performing arts. Also try to get in a hockey game even though thats outside downtown. Check out all three university campuses. Drive through Centennial Campus (NC State). Take a historic trolley tour of downtown. The NC Museum of Art is out on Blue Ridge Road, but the Natural Science and History museums are downtown. Check out at least one mall (Crabtree, and Triangle Town Center are downtown, Southpoint is off I-40 in Durham. Check out North Hills (they have a new hotel too actually). Check out the Farmers Market on a weekend day, The Arboretum (off Beryl Drive near NC State), and roam around Artspace during the day (near City Market). If you are in town for the first Friday of the month, definitely get out into the gallery walk. Its fun even if you don't like art that much. The Realto Theater off Glenwood Avenue in the five points area is a cool old single screen venue for current movies....you make a whole day in five points with a meal at Lilys Pizza, coffee/dessert at Third Place, and there are 5 or 6 antique stores. Eat Sunday brunch at either Irregardless or Humble Pie (downtown) or Nofo (five points). Have a drink at Raleigh Times on a weekend night, or try one of several sports bars around town if you like that better. I take people for a drive through Oakwood and past Pilot Mill (you may even like those houses actually). The Mill is all office space, but the village was all rebuilt with new houses with more old school alley ways and such.

I would like to emphasize again, that 10 years ago, our downtown was almost 100% dead after 5pm. View our progress through that lens.

I don't know if they fall into your price range, but the units in the Quorum Center might be an option as well. It doesn't have a pool, but the residences are above several floors of office and it isn't on any of the higher trafficked roads. It is "close but not too close" to Glenwood South. A little farther than West and Paramount, but a block from several decent restaurants -- Second Empire, 42nd Street Oyster Bar, 518 West Jones, Napper Tandys. And it is closer to Fayetville Street than the other Glenwood bulidings.

You might be able to get decent "bang for your buck" in Founders Row, a low rise (three stories) condo building across Davie Street from City Market. It seems to have an older demographic living there, City Market (and Artspace) are on your front doorstep, with Duck and Dumpling (Asian), Tir Na Nog (Irish), Cafe Luna (Italian), Sitti (Medeteranian), Raleigh Times/Times Bar (pub food), Dos Taquitos Centro (Mexican), the Mint (fine dining), the Big Easy (New Orleans), the Oxford (English pub), and Posta Tuscan Grill, all within a few blocks walk. It has gated parking/limited entry, though is also close to a soup kitchen and the panhandlers it attracts. The Hudson, Palladium Plaza, and Person Point are also nearby, in decending proximity to Fayetville Street and increasing proximity to the less afflluent areas.

The only book store anywhere near downtown is the Borders at Six Forks and Wake Forest Roads, so any of the downtown buildings won't put you near that kind of shopping. Other than that, there is only a rack or two in drug/grocery stores and a slightly larger selection in the North Hills Target, which is sad for an area with such a high concentration of people with undergrad, graduate, and post-grad degrees.

For outdoors activities, there are greenways south of downtown along Western Blvd and along Crabtree Creek north of downtown a few miles. There are few flat playing fields (football, soccer, etc.) until you get out to the Dix Property, or on NC State's campus. Pullen Park is a neat place to take children, with an enclosed aquatic center, swing sets, etc. and a Merry Go Round and mini-train in the warmer months. Peak Fitness and Seaboard Fitness are the two major gym/health club options downtown, though several buildings have small, on-site workout rooms.

EDIT - for hotels, if you want to go cheaper than the downtown options, there is a Red Roof Inn south of downtown, just inside the beltline at South Saunders and 40. There are several near the Wake Forest/440 intersection as well, though that puts you a little further from the downtown core.

Thanks for answering all my questions. I think you've covered all the bases. Now, it's time for me to start my "on hands" search and find that "utopia" :lol: . I'm planning on heading down the two weeks just before Easter, but not planning to relocate until the summer. I will let you all know how things turns out.

Thanks so much for helping me out with my search.

The only book store anywhere near downtown is the Borders at Six Forks and Wake Forest Roads, so any of the downtown buildings won't put you near that kind of shopping. Other than that, there is only a rack or two in drug/grocery stores and a slightly larger selection in the North Hills Target, which is sad for an area with such a high concentration of people with undergrad, graduate, and post-grad degrees.

I have to strongly disagree with this. Quail Ridge Books, in the Ridge Road Shopping Center, at the corner of Wade Avenue and Ridge, is one of the best independent book stores in the Country and have won awards to that affect for years. I consider that pretty near downtown.

Borders is closer to downtown than

Quail Ridge though both are more than three miles from Capitol Square. Some people consider the NC State area "downtown" but it isn't any more than Five Points or Cameron Village are. And leave you with a choice of taking Capitol or Wade Ave, neither of which are walking or bike friendly.

The selection at Readers' Corner (and Nice Price nearby if they are still there) are at the whim of their customers.

I used buy a fair number of books from DJ's on Hillsborough Street, but I know I was the exception, not the rule.

• 3 months later...

New to the board! Thanks to the participation from everyone, this thread has been spectacularly informative.

I'm aggressively looking to move back to Raleigh after jaunting all over the country. My complaints about Raleigh when I moved were complaints based in 2001-2005 timeframe and I was in my 20s living there. Just wasn't enough action for me. Fast forward to present day: I have a fiance and a lab, all my friends are here, housing is cheaper than Denver, family...all the grown up reasons to move back to Raleigh. We are city folk though with a thirst for art scenes and urban pioneering...not at the expense of safety though.

Anyway, I'm in the middle of fighting the urge to get a typical N Raleigh townhome. I know I won't be happy there. (they are huge and cheap)

So.....trying not to reinvent the wheel here but what about all the small houses for 100K or less that are available downtown? Are there certain areas better than others.....? sort of Oakwood Cemetary area and all around there seems to be some fixed up small starter homes.....From what I have read in http://newraleigh.com and several blogs, its seems safe compared to other small metropolitan cities but still has a "bad" reputation among Raleigh suburbanites.

I'm coming May 27-31 for intensive housing search. Would love anyone that lives in housing downtown to message me for some real advice.....will payback any advice with cocktails at the closest thing you guys have to Kings now (i can't believe they tore Kings Barcade down for a angel love parking lot, I used to own their original bar/kegerator, long story)

Anyway, any of these worth looking at? I'm clueless on downtown as no real experience down there other than bars.

http://listings.listhub.net/pages/TRIANGLE...channel=hotpads

http://www.steina.com/listings/8mrqp8g6ykl.shtml

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/reb/1153606799.html

Any places at all on this list?

http://www.zillow.com/homes/map/27601_rb/

Thanks everyone...I need more feet on the street and appreciate any assistance or advice

Cheers

Dave

^

Those are all really nice starter homes IMO. The only places in downtown area that I'd stay away from is the area between Chavis Park and Roberts Park. Downtown is a really good place to buy if you want to make an investment that is almost guaranteed to increase in value. Downtown Raleigh is growing like crazy (well...not so much right now because of the economy choking off developer and consumer credit) and some parts saw their property value skyrocket by 300% in our last property valuation about 1.5 years ago. I dont' think you will be disappointed with the options down there if your interested in that part of town.

Good luck on your search :)

Lots of transitioning going on in all those areas. It depends on your tolerance level for certain things. The one on Glascock would be my call. I may know you if you frequented Kings during the Sunday house electronica nights. Feel free to message me Mr Piper.

Yeah the one on Glascock looks pretty nice from the listing.

Your input is encouraging me to look really hard down there....Glad I found this place.

Was more of a weekday drinker at Kings and arcade fanatic. I was there a few Sundays.... I'm looking forward to seeing some old familiar faces in town

Cheers and I'll update you all as I get more leads on houses....

Dave

You might want to also check out the Rosengarten Park sales going on via Cityspace. They are small cottage-style houses...some have been renovated, some not. Price will vary on size and the amount of renovations they've had.

The Glascock house is *way* down Glascock, though it is "hit or miss nice/nicer" as you get closer to the north side of Enloe High School. It is "downtown" only in the sense of being inside the beltline, but that might be what you are looking for.

I don't know anything about the neighborhood around the Lansing house.

The area just south of Oakwood Cemetary has improved the most the quickest, due to its proximity to Oakwood. The police have cracked down on the prostitution, etc. from Cook to Seawell, though things deteriorate (for now) at Idlewild, though it seems there are a few houses on the market there that could keep the improvments moving further east.

The Tarboro Road area near St. Augs has been bad recently, but police have stepped up efforts there recently.

Postell is kinda isolated from the rest of the neighborhood by Hunter to the north and Tarboro/Rock Quarry to the east.

Chavis Heights brought down that area for a while, and there is still some public housing in the area, though not as concentrated.

I have lived on East Hargett for eight years and wouldn't want to live anywhere else. There is the occasional shady types, but it is a lot better than it used to be, and very walkable to Moore Square and Fayetville Street. I haven't seen many houses for sale in the area, though. Some members of the police force have said the 700 block of Martin is the most dangerous block in Raleigh, though I haven't heard shots fired, etc. in years. The police looked like they were going to install a mobile unit at the corner of Haywood and Martin, but nothing has happened there yet.

Definitely would like to be able to walk to something....so Glascock looks nice as a listing but I imagine it is a bit far out there.

Good info on Idewild, looks like lots of 90K or less houses just east.

So you like East Hargett....that info really helps, houses scattered all over the place for sale round there.

Is this house too far east? Looks cool for $139. I'd rather have an older restoration or something to work on than new build but I guess its a start.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/821-E-Ha...1/6435145_zpid/

And several right by there on Camden for sale, this is the nicest

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/112-Camd...1/6386488_zpid/

Then there are a few in "Windsor Park" East of St Augustine, SouthEast corner of Raleigh and Glascock seems far out like Glascock though

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/833-Welf...0/6413047_zpid/

• 4 weeks later...

The wife and I are looking at several areas of the nation for re-location, and Raleigh-Durham is now near the top of our list as our top locale of Washington, D.C. is not going to work out most likely. We are in our late 20s, fairly liberal, and will most likely start a family in the near term. We are interested to the area due to universities and the opportunities they would offer to further our educations with graduate/doctoral degrees, employment opportunities, and housing affordability.

As much as I hate to say it we would probably are looking for a moderate to liberal (by southern standards) suburban neighborhood, although more urban options would most definitely be explored for suitability. Decent K-12 public schools and some ethnic diversity would both be pluses. Any suggestions as to what general or specific areas or neighborhoods to look at would be helpful to start our research. Cary and NE Raleigh around Wake Crossroads are both places/areas I have found in terms of housing to be in line with what we would be looking for, but we are not sure how they would match up to our other preferences. I think Wake County is most likely were we would prefer to live if we chose to relocate to NC, but we are open to any area in the metro.

The wife and I are looking at several areas of the nation for re-location, Raleigh-Durham is now at the top of our list as our other top locale Washington, D.C. is not going to work out most likely. We are in our late 20s, fairly liberal, and will most likely start a family in the near term. We are drawn to the area due to universities and the opportunities they would offer to further our educations with graduate/doctoral degrees, employment opportunities, and housing affordability.

As much as I hate to say it we would probably are looking for a moderate to liberal (by southern standards) suburban neighborhood, although more urban options would most definitely be explored for suitability. Decent K-12 public schools and some ethnic diversity would both be pluses. Any suggestions as to what general or specific areas or neighborhoods to look at would be helpful to start our research. Cary and NE Raleigh around Wake Crossroads are both places/areas I have found in terms of housing to be in line with what we would be looking for, but we are not sure how they would match up to our other preferences. I think Wake County is most likely were we would prefer to live, but we are open to any area in the metro.

Yeah Cary is about 85% white, 9% Asian and 6% Black, according to the US census :

http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/DTTab...YR_G2000_B02001

If your looking for far left, Chapel Hill would be the place in the Triangle to go. If you don't mind moderate, Raleigh would be the place in the Triangle for that. Raleigh's boom towns (in particular Cary and Wake Forest) are more on the conservative side.

I would say that any part of Raleigh would be fine, except for Southeast Raleigh. That is the bad part of the city. Raleigh is like a bunch of smaller cities in one, with each part of town having its own stuff. The public schools are run by Wake County and they are among the best out there and the largest school system in the state. The school system is a mix of year-round, traditional calendar and magnet schools and the the county maintains an "ethnic diversity" policy for their schools, which is sometimes the subject of controversy and lawsuits because they will place kids in schools based on the diversity in the school and not necessarily by how close the school is to you. They are also known (and there was a huge lawsuit over it, which they ultimately prevailed in at the supreme court) to shift kids from a traditional calendar to a year-round school without parental input. So if your looking for any kids you have to be exposed to a diverse population, Wake County schools are definitely the place to send them, if you can put up with their shuffling around.

RuralKing:

Yeah, I reiterate Jones' question about price range...though if you were considering DC, I'm thinking even Chapel Hill would be cheap in comparison.

I think you should be aware that in the Triangle you can have a moderate suburban feel easily without having to look at Cary or North Raleigh automatically. In fact, most of the areas Inside Raleigh's Beltline are rather "suburban" (except for downtown itself) compared to big cities like DC and NY. Same goes for much of Durham, Chapel Hill and even Carrboro (again, except for the downtowns).

If it looks like you're leaning more towards Raleigh than Durham/ChapelHill for various reasons (work, etc), you can still have a suburban feel without going all "Stepford" like Cary is. West & southwest Raleigh (areas from Cameron Village and NCSU to around Meredith College) are very diverse, fairly liberal, and have easy access to the highways and downtown as well. And, depending on the specific neighborhood, about the same prices as much of Cary or NE Raleigh....while much less likely to be "cookie-cutter" homes.

If it looks like you're leaning more towards Raleigh than Durham/ChapelHill for various reasons (work, etc), you can still have a suburban feel without going all "Stepford" like Cary is. West & southwest Raleigh (areas from Cameron Village and NCSU to around Meredith College) are very diverse, fairly liberal, and have easy access to the highways and downtown as well. And, depending on the specific neighborhood, about the same prices as much of Cary or NE Raleigh....while much less likely to be "cookie-cutter" homes.

Archived