Shreveport/Bossier City Development

NCB

its all cool. Ive already said what I wanted to say and theyve alread said what they want to say. No need to get the board nazi in here and deleting stuff. Surely nobody on here takes typed text on a message board seriously...do they?

Definitely no need to call Nate a Nazi. ;)

But yes, some people do take things personally and that's why these boards have moderators.

I agree no one should really get ticked over "typed text," but it happens all the time.

Definitely no need to call Nate a Nazi. ;)

But yes, some people do take things personally and that's why these boards have moderators.

I agree no one should really get ticked over "typed text," but it happens all the time.

hey i've been meaning to ask... what's the status of all that land they cleared on I-49 @ bert kouns?

No need to get the board nazi in here and deleting stuff. Surely nobody on here takes typed text on a message board seriously...do they?

Wasn't planning on deleting anything, as long as you guys keep it clean. But I will tell you, I'm one of the more easy-going mods around UrbanPlanet, and you certainly won't get very far around here if you call the moderators "nazis," whether you're serious or not.

See this post. ;)

(*cough, cough* i was just changing the subject *cough, cough*) ;)

Although I think you're right Metlife...it does seem like that area would make a nice medical park. Close enough to serve SBC, and far enough out the rural people (who outnumber the SBC'ers in north LA) wouldn't mind making the trip.

SBC,

I was wondering if you know anything about the new 3 story apartments being built next to Lee Hedges Stadium, behind the Bellemeade Center.

They are going up at a remarkable rate. What is the average rent going to be and what is the expected opening date?

Then again, they could be for sale and not rent.

Just a thought,

Mudbugger

SBC,

I was wondering if you know anything about the new 3 story apartments being built next to Lee Hedges Stadium, behind the Bellemeade Center.

They are going up at a remarkable rate. What is the average rent going to be and what is the expected opening date?

Then again, they could be for sale and not rent.

Just a thought,

Mudbugger

I believe they're going to be called The Summit at Shreveport, and they're being built by Heritage Properties out of Jackson, MS. My wife has had some extensive dealings in that project. When she first started working on it a bit over a year ago, I sat in her office one day and looked through the entire set of construction plans. They do look nice.

I believe this is the same Heritage Properties who is the developer for the embattled apartments to be built out Airline Drive. They also own The Reserve of Bossier City apartments just down from where the new north Bossier apartments are to be built, as well as the Canebrake apartments, located behind Yokem Toyota at the Auto Mall.

I don't know what the opening date is, because this project has been going on for some time and my wife is no longer involved. I'm quite surprised to hear that they're going up fast, because at the beginning things were going very slowly. Once they started work on the property they realized there was a 5' culvert running through the entire property that was never shown on any of the property's plats. That had to be removed, which cost quite a bit of extra money and delayed construction for quite a few months.

I'm pretty sure they're going to be rental units, most likely in that $800-$1100/month range if I had my guess. Most of their properties tend to be more upscale and run within that range. Their Canebrake apartments currently run between $830-$1075/month and The Reserve currently run between $769-$1069/month.

What's with the sudden increase in interest in the Mansfield/70th area? That's one of the highest-crime areas of Shreveport, but lately I've seen numerous developments planned for that general area. Today is no exception. I'm looking over the agenda for the January 3 MPC meeting, and there are two more projects planned for that area:

CITY COUNCIL DISTRICT

Edited by SBCmetroguy

What's with the sudden increase in interest in the Mansfield/70th area? That's one of the highest-crime areas of Shreveport, but lately I've seen numerous developments planned for that general area. Today is no exception. I'm looking over the agenda for the January 3 MPC meeting, and there are two more projects planned for that area

Is this north or south of the Inner Loop? That's one of the highest crime areas?

EDIT: is 70th the same as Hwy. 511? That's all I show on my map...

Edited by Rardy

What's with the sudden increase in interest in the Mansfield/70th area? That's one of the highest-crime areas of Shreveport, but lately I've seen numerous developments planned for that general area. Today is no exception. I'm looking over the agenda for the January 3 MPC meeting, and there are two more projects planned for that area:

CITY COUNCIL DISTRICT

Edited by fridayinla

Given the area, I'm sure these developments won't be anything glamorous, but looking at an aerial there seems to be a lot of vacant land near the intersection (particularly east of Mansfield). This is an inner-city neighborhood with high traffic counts from both thoroughfares - I'm not surprised developers are interested - you just have to target the right demographics. SBC can use more infill development.

The more infill, the better. I'd be curious, however, to know what kind of restaurant is planned. I'm sure the apartments will be just as rough as the ones already in that area, but I'm all for them keeping these types of developments in that area rather than spreading them all over the city!

The more infill, the better. I'd be curious, however, to know what kind of restaurant is planned. I'm sure the apartments will be just as rough as the ones already in that area, but I'm all for them keeping these types of developments in that area rather than spreading them all over the city!

Whats this I hear about Barksdale possibly having a massive expansion?

Whats this I hear about Barksdale possibly having a massive expansion?

Here's the article from the Times dated Dec. 12 describing Barksdale as one of three air force bases that is being considered for a long-planned training camp:

Barksdale mission expansion topic of public meeting tonight

"The chosen base would gain 166 buildings at 124,192 square meters, with up to 9,000 acres -- just under 14 square miles -- required for field training..."

D952336121.JPG

Edited by fridayinla

Agreed, very nice map. I am proud that Barksdale AFB is in Louisiana. Bossier City is shaped like a pork-chop bec. of Barksdale. The narrow strip along the river looks cool. :thumbsup:

I attempted my first colored graphic aerial development last week in the BR Forum.

Yeah, Bossier City has taken on a strange shape because of Barksdale's massive size.

Now Bossier City is growing toward Benton, making it even more oddly shaped.

Beaird Co., formerly Beaird Industries, to hire 100 more employees.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d.../612150337/1002

In my opinion, this is excellent news and shows the strength of the manufacturing industry in Shreveport. Not too long ago, Beaird was on the verge of shutting down; but now they have plenty of business and are expanding their workforce!

I see their giant towers rolling down Bert Kouns on flatbeds quite often, to be shipped off at the port and assembled out west and overseas. These towers are assembled on-site as the bases for giant power-producing wind turbines (windmills.)

Edited by SBCmetroguy

I never have good information, but I think I may finally have some! I was told that the Just for Feet building was bought (or being bought), and the new owner plans on making it a steakhouse. I was told that this person just opened a nightclub downtown also. It's too bad that it will be a steakhouse, but good that it will be something other than vacant. I think that building could make a cool restaurant. Hey Stephen or Brian (aren't both of you on loopnet?), could one of you look up this property to see if it sold?

One more thing, I found this story on Shreveport Times about a fourth house to be featured on "What You Get for the Money."

Local home will be on "What You Get for the Money" on HGTV

Edited by jcasey

I never have good information, but I think I may finally have some! I was told that the Just for Feet building was bought (or being bought), and the new owner plans on making it a steakhouse. I was told that this person just opened a nightclub downtown also. It's too bad that it will be a steakhouse, but good that it will be something other than vacant. I think that building could make a cool restaurant. Hey Stephen or Brian (aren't both of you on loopnet?), could one of you look up this property to see if it sold?

I'll see if I can find that.

One more thing, I found this story on Shreveport Times about a fourth house to be featured on "What You Get for the Money."

Local home will be on "What You Get for the Money" on HGTV

That's cool. I see Shreveport on HGTV fairly often. It's definitely the most featured city fom Louisiana, even more so than New Orleans - which I may have seen once or twice.

Edited by fridayinla

On a quick note - the new Starbucks in the Uptown Shopping Center has officially opened. I saw them listed on Starbuck's website, and called them to confirm their opening. That makes 4 corporately owned Starbucks in the SBC area, and 9 total locations including smaller kiosks (with the yet unopened Hilton location).

The former Just for Feet building on Bert Kouns is still listed as available for sale. The listing shows the owner is motivated and recently reduced the price - maybe the buyer is still in escrow on the property.

Bill McFadden - (318) 797-4393 - listing broker's contact if you want to get the scoop for us!! :D

On a quick note - the new Starbucks in the Uptown Shopping Center has officially opened. I saw them listed on Starbuck's website, and called them to confirm their opening. That makes 4 corporately owned Starbucks in the SBC area, and 9 total locations including smaller kiosks (with the yet unopened Hilton location).

The Airline Drive building to house Bossier's latest Starbucks is coming along. I drove by there just a little while ago. That whole Airline corridor is just amazing. I drove down Vanceville Road and saw where the new townhomes will go, as well as yet another branch of Citizens National Bank at the corner of Airline and Vanceville. I saw a TON of huge pieces of property along Airline Drive with 'Zoning Change' signs posted. :w00t: