Plymouth, NC

RiverwoodCLT

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

P6.jpg

The building just barely visible to the left of the plaque in this picture looks like an old railroad depot. Is this correct? Any other pictures? It looks like it's in pretty good shape, too. If I'm right about this being a depot, then you can tell that Plymouth must have been a pretty major commercial and population center when it was built, because the railroads just didn't build brick depots any old where.

Plymouth is a pretty nice little town. I live relatively close by in Greenville...one of these days i'll post some pics of other Eastern NC towns. I noticed that Eastern NC doesn't get discussed too much in this forum.
Yeah, we don't seem to have much representation from Eastern NC. You should definitely do a photo thread on Greenville!

Greenville is definitely a growing area. It seems as though the city leaders are finally putting an emphasis on revitalizing the commercial and retail portions of downtown.

I'll take my digital camera out and see what I can do.

Not taking away anything from Plymouth, but there are several nice "coastal" towns in Eastern NC - Edenton, Bath, Washington, New Bern. All of them have that historic feel to them and haven't been over-commercialized.

I've definitely heard good things about New Bern. I'm just waiting for a chance to get out there myself. I was actually hoping to bike out there some day from Raleigh. Perhaps I'll take a weekend and do it next spring - bike out and take Greyhound back. Problem is, I don't know too many people who enjoy that sort of traveling...

New Bern is a nice historic town...springtime would be the best time to go, in my opinion. When I first moved to Greenville, I drove down to New Bern several times and was pretty impressed with the historic preservation of many of the houses near the downtown area. The downtown has several independent retailers and art galleries. The view of the downtown area is nice from the Neuse River Bridge (US 17) and from US 70.

If you bike down that way, i'd recommend going all the way down to Morehead City and Beaufort, which are two nice towns as well. Beaufort has some homes from the 1700's (as does New Bern).

Thanks for sharing the photos! I was in Plymouth a few years ago with my dad on the way back home from the Outer Banks. All I know is that it is a small northeastern NC town that is kinda depressed. My dad and I went over to look at that battleship replica........it is amazing that they had ships that looked like that back in the 1800's!

I will post some pictures of eastern NC one of these days. I have tons of New Bern but just not available on my PC. I have some of Greenville, Morehead City area, Bath, Wilson, Jacksonville, Wilmington and so on. (none are digital though)

I think I might head out some time in the next two weeks and snap some digital photos and post them...if I can figure it out. :)

Archived