Photos De Jour - Grand Rapids and West Michigan Area

GRDadof3

Thanks!!! I always seem to be the bottom post. Kinda annoying sometimes. But anyways, my friend took this while she was in town.

GRView_LO-3.jpg

Welcome Jamez! Awesome shot.

What do you mean by "I always seem to be the bottom post"? Maybe I can help (it might be your user settings).

What do you mean by "I always seem to be the bottom post"?

I'm guessing that's because your settings are to only show 10 posts per page, but it's probably for the best.

I had to revert to this setting because when people reply to posts containing images, they include the images. This means the same images appear many times on one page resulting in extremely long load times.

I'm guessing that's because your settings are to only show 10 posts per page, but it's probably for the best.

I had to revert to this setting because when people reply to posts containing images, they include the images. This means the same images appear many times on one page resulting in extremely long load times.

I've got my setting at 40 posts per page but he still happened to the last post on the previous page. That's just the way it goes sometimes.

When people reply to posts with images it should effect load times because the copy of the image is loading from the same source as the original image. It can be annoying though when people reply with the old images and their comment doesn't refer to any of them. Or if they have a comment on one image but they copy all of the rest of them too.

W

Grand Rapids, what a city. I hear many people say it's one of Michigan's best cities... although not ruling out Lansing. I also like its somewhat conservative.

Welcome Coolbreeze!

Somehow my aol email told me that you replied to my message, but I don't know what they are talking about. Anyhow, since you like Grand Rapids, I wanted to steer you to my pictures of that and many other US cities. Visit www.picasaweb.google.com/miklospogonyi

I have not been to Lansing, but what I've heard and pics I've seen it's not great. I have seen Kalamazzo and like it a lot.

As with any two-wheeled vehicle, I imagine you just lean. At slow speeds, however, who knows? Maybe you just fall over. :)

There are a few penny farthings in the GR area. I think Jeff, one of the employees at Alger Schwinn, has one? There were a couple of them that did a lap or two between races at the Tour de Gaslight criterium race.

As with any two-wheeled vehicle, I imagine you just lean. At slow speeds, however, who knows? Maybe you just fall over. :)

There are a few penny farthings in the GR area. I think Jeff, one of the employees at Alger Schwinn, has one? There were a couple of them that did a lap or two between races at the Tour de Gaslight criterium race.

Like AlexPKeaton said, I believe that you just lean, and if you're not going fast enough, you fall off. :) It's hard to believe that at one point in the US, highwheel racing was one of the more popular sports in the US, and the world class highwheel racers were the fastest humans in the world. I believe that they held races in the Civic Auditorium on Lyon in the early 1900s.

Just to get back on topic, here are some recent photos:

Delilah DeWylde <sp?> and the Lost Boys at Frederick Meijer Gardens Tuesday night concert series:

2758082211_cdd7a7db9f_b.jpg

Oberon=Summer

2750922645_a1523f2eed_b.jpg

Checking out the Wolverine Worldwide Corporate HQ:

2751752758_6cecf61dcb_b.jpg

American beech on the Chief Wabasis Nature Trail, Wabasis Lake county park:

2751716508_d843949e7e_b.jpg

Cycling back to our campsite on 11 Mile between Ramsdell and Wabasis Lake Rd:

2750870157_ea72a58843_b.jpg

Rockford Police Dept. apparently has a lot of extra cash lying around. Seems like you could purchase a few nice bicycles for the price of a souped up Segway:

2750846485_3b4b8886f1_b.jpg

The new Rockford river trail is pretty awesome:

2750822531_3067b8fda7_b.jpg

Edited by fotoman311

Blueradon, I believe that last photograph is of Jewelweed. Jewelweed often grows right next Poison Ivy and, although I've never tried it, is supposedly a remedy for Poison Ivy. So if you or anyone else realizes they've just rubbed up against Poison Ivy and will be unable to wash it off quickly, do a quick search for that plant. Break open the stem or some leaves and rub all over the exposed area and you may just avoid a terrible breakout!

While we're on the subject of trails, here is a photo I snapped this weekend while cycling the White Pine Trail from Grand Rapids to Big Rapids:

2775718369_459832e867_b.jpg