Charlotte Nightlife

Mobuchu

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to Brixx here in Dilworth tonight for the second time in less than two weeks :yahoo: ( I am addicted). I thought of this thread when I returned home because East Blvd was abuzz with people walking everywhere. Brixx's patio was full, Starbucks was full,Caribou's deck was busy, the whole strip was bustling and after living in the neighborhood for a year it only gets more active in the warmer months and longer daylight hours into late night. If this part of town is not a great example of one of Charlotte's busy and fun neighborhood districts, I don't know what is. No hype:D

saw paul oakenfold dj at scorpios last weekend. it was a great show. i had never been to scorpios before, but i was very impressed. it was a really nice place and was packed. we had a lot fun.

The Scorpio is one of the oldest dance clubs on the east coast having been at that location since the late 70's It once had a dance floor like that one that John Travolta became famous for in Saturday Night Fever. It was the only lighted dance floor in CLT in the disco days. When the bar was burned to the ground (the first time) the floor melted and the owner said she couldn't afford to rebuild something like that again.

saw paul oakenfold dj at scorpios last weekend. it was a great show. i had never been to scorpios before, but i was very impressed. it was a really nice place and was packed. we had a lot fun.

wait Oakenfold played at scopios last weekend??????? why doesn't anyone tell me about these things saw tiesto at velocity last year amazing, best show ever and i've been to ultra 3 music fest in miami three years in a row now

abroad whats that matter? Tiesto was the best in the world how many years ago. next year go to UMF2007, the first year I went it was armin, tiesto, van dyk, oakenfold, chemical brothers, tiesto, and sasha/digweed, and that was just the main stage, there was 7 other stages, Locals from miami stage, breakbeat stage, drum and bass stage, trance allstars, house stage, progressive stage, everything, 55,000 people in bay front park, miami, no better party than a miami party cuz a miami party don't stop, just make sure you get a hotel, my friend and I went don't there in 2003 and our car got locked in a parking garage, and slept on biscane blvd on a park bench accross from american airlines arena, sorry I went off on a tangent

Yea tiesto was here, he was at velocity it was a hopping party, the next week boy george was there and that was a good party, the same month van dyk played at velocity, they have a good trance/house scene and its wonderful, i spin myself, it a great way to pass the time, and create something of your own :-D

I Love how these high profile DJs will come play in these small clubs makes me happy, I mean velocity isn't small by any standard, but it doesn't compare to the clubs I went to in barcelona and ibiza, crazy fun 140,000 sq ft club, thats when you know the world loves you

http://eldivino-ibiza.com/

the island with the most beautiful women and men I've ever seen

you like techno, then when you go to spain try to make it to ibiza, that is if you go to barcelona, its wonderful, what are you in europe for anyways? but even in england you can find some of the best nightlife in the world, if you need any suggestions just give me a PM I'll be glad to show you the way

Well, I checked out Gilda's in Noda, and Loft 1523, and Can's all over the last 3 weeks. Here is my personal assestment.

Gilda's :: Noda

Very similar to Tutto Mondo's in apearence and crowd. "That Guy Smitty" who also djay's at Tutto's was spinning downtempo and soulful house music the night I went, and their was a good mix of all types of people, blue collar to white collar. Even though there did not appear to be a dress code a lot of people where dressed up.

Loft1523 :: Elizabeth

Even though there is a dress code I believe, they did not seem to mind I was wearing tennis shoes and a workers jacket, as I was going to attend a Visulite Show after some drinks. There were a lot of people dressed up here as well, with people mostly in there mid 20's-40's. Young hipsters and older more conservative dressed people enjoyed drinks with a dj spinning acid jazz, nu-soul & down tempo. Very good mix of all colors, and I really liked the city view.

Cans :: Graham/Gateway

Seemed more of like the Uptown banker & just out of college scene. Some what of a sports bar with 80's as there theme, but I did here a lot of newer top 40 music. Very crowed but there was a good fun vibe. Some of the beers where a little pricey, and the food was medicore. I think I will like this place a lot more when the rooftop area opens in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the write up. I agree with you for the most part. Although, I thought the food at Cans was pretty good. Also, with being so huge, there are all sorts of people there. Although, it does have the fratboy/banker vibe a lot of the time.

I agree with you. A more "grittier" nightlife scene is something I hope Charlotte developes over the next decade.

Do you guys know about little 5 points in Atlanta. It's got a very cool, eclectic, gritty, punk, atmosphere. It's Just a good example of the kind of gritty atmosphere yall seem to want.

Do you guys know about little 5 points in Atlanta. It's got a very cool, eclectic, gritty, punk, atmosphere. It's Just a good example of the kind of gritty atmosphere yall seem to want.

Love 5 Points. I always thought NODA or Central/Pecan would become Charlotte's 5 Points. Could still happen I suppose.

While taking pics of other things in uptown tonight I ran accross this scene. Not sure if this is the same group that was playing in this spot last year, but they sound similar. It gives off a great vibe having street performers playing music while walking around at night. You could hear them from 2 blocks away. Mostly just drums this time, with kids and belly dancers dancing around a small flame. This is only the first time I have seen them this year, but they have done vocals and played guitars too.

Also thought it was cool seeing guys playing chess at tables in the tiny Interstate tower park accross the street, just reminds me of Washington square park and the small park that was next to the WTC in NYC. I asked but unfortunetly they were not too fond of me taking their picture, lol.

128662458_9688a0afbb_o.jpg

128662457_3f131aebe4_o.jpg

128662456_6ebb1f201b_o.jpg

Morlin Avenue Baby !!! I went there many a day. Great shoping for urban gear when I was younger :P . A great mix of people that are totally unique. One of my favorite spots in all of ATL. If you want something similar travel two hours west to the five points in B'ham. For a cty its size you will be impressed. I actually think that Five Points South in B'ham is better from a live music standpoint than some cities I have been to that are 4-5 times as large. No joke.

A2

Back in charlotte for the weekend, and last night my best friend frequented tudo mundos, and Canns (canns for the first time), and Canns was just what i expected, I was very excited about it when I first read about it in the CBJ it was great, a nice 20 something crowd, good music, only thing that sucked was the long line, but I don't think its been open too long so the long line is explainable

This is not related to any new development, but the old church that was formerly The Steeple in Plaza-Midwood is now The Goblin--a goth-style club. It will be interesting to see if it is successful.

aside from the corny name, i have heard that they "pat" you down upon entering and that bouncers are constantly walking around shining flashlights in your face and in darkened corners... doesn't that seem to go against the grain of pseudo-vampirism?

i jest, as i find it entertaining and sinister... and if i happen one night to be walking by and hear the muffled sound of a JOY DIVISION song fill the air... i will be quit happy.

• 9 months later...

Archived