Utilities

frag24

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question for you all...

Tallahassee is about to vote on wether or not it wants to join Jax and a few other communities in contributing to the construction of a new Coal Fired Energy Plant in Taylor County (Perry, FL)... any thoughts on what direction we should take. I'm inclined to vote no at the present time because I think we can do better than that. Am I not being realistic?

here is my take...

1) Any new Power plant, regardless of type, will in the long run help stabalize prices. You increase your supply, so, in theory, you can at the very least keep up with demand.

2) If People are worried about the polution aspect, If they look into how mondern day Coal Fire plants are built, the would see that they are not the plants of the sixties. There is so much done to the 'smoke' that comes out that it is extremely clean. Some polution yes, but not to the point people are thinkging.

3) If I were realy considering building a new power plant, Ild go Nuclear. (dodges tomatoes) I know alot of people have problems with them, But Ive worked in a Nuc Plant before and I can tell you that they are extremely safe. Everything, and I mean everything, is triple redundant, if two go out, at once, they bring the enitre plant down. I wouldnt worry about Planes crashing into the reactor Tower either, its three layers of about 5-10 foot thick steel reinforced concrete walls. Three of them. The inner wall is the thickest. If your worried about radiation. The average worker gets more radiation from a Coal plant than in a nuc plant (not including refuelings). If your concerned about nuclear waste. you get an exponetialy greater amount of waste from hospitals. Anyway, Its expensive to start up, but you are talking about easily triple the enegergy production capability as with a coal plant. Once its up, its also far easier to keep up.

When was the last Nuc Plant disaster> Chernobyl

When was the last coal fire plant disaster> Dont kow, thats becaus ethey are that frequent, mostly in third worl contries

(stepping down off of pedistol)

Cheers guys

Josh

The real problem with nuclear plants is the expense to build them and the expense of decommissioning them at the end of their life, which I've read can be more expensive than the construction expenses and lifetime operating expenses combined. Most of the energy production in this country is from coal fired plants and it will stay that way for a long time. Are new nuclear plants planned for anywhere in this country?

The real problem with nuclear plants is the expense to build them and the expense of decommissioning them at the end of their life, which I've read can be more expensive than the construction expenses and lifetime operating expenses combined. Most of the energy production in this country is from coal fired plants and it will stay that way for a long time. Are new nuclear plants planned for anywhere in this country?

Duke Power is currently planning to build another nuclear plant in upstate SC. There is one already in Oconee County (extreme western corner of the state). Oconee and a couple of other counties are jockeying to get the plant.

Duke Power seekd new nuclear plant

Yes, utilities are not like cell phones - you have to take what is there. In Jacksonville, JEA is your choice (unless you want no electricity, an manual well, and a septic tank). Overall, they are pretty good. I flip the switch, I have power; I turn on the faucet, I have water; I flush the....well you get the idea.

I have had both clay and JEA... Clay is cheaper and more stable. Not to mention it is smaller so people affected by outages get a fast response.

I am now on JEA on an older grid and you can bet every time it drizzles, the transformer blows and we are without power from 1-4 hours.

I have had both clay and JEA... Clay is cheaper and more stable. Not to mention it is smaller so people affected by outages get a fast response.

I am now on JEA on an older grid and you can bet every time it drizzles, the transformer blows and we are without power from 1-4 hours.

Merlin-

How abt the water service? Thanks!

Archived