What Cities Can One be Openly Gay In?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^Portland and Seattle are quite receptive to gays although they are not free from discrimination ive seen many a gay and lesbian couples all over downtown and close in neighborhoods holding hands kissing and so forth in public and people here dont seem to take offense or react in a negative way. lesbians in Portland seem to congregate in SE Portland from what ive seen and there are many neighborhoods where you see rainbow flagas and so on ive never seen so many until i moved here rainbow everything hehe. However, i dont think there are really any full fledged gay neighborhoods here i think they are just scattered all over the city.

What cities are best for a person to be openly gay in? Some cities are safer than others. Other cities, while safe, are not as accepting as others. Some cities people can talk openly about sexuality in, while in others people do not mention it, kind of like the U.S. military's "Don't ask, don't tell" policy. Where would cities like Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Detroit, Indianapolis, and Louisville fit, in your opinion? I'm interested in hearing others' perspectives.

Sodom and Gommorrah?

I have heard, nit verified, that Atlanta now has a higher gay population then even San Fran, Don't see how though. But yes, I think Atlanta, Midtown inpoarticular, is probably the gay capital of the east.

Not a chance man. You should get out of Atlanta. Miami and Chicago I know for sure have a MUCH larger gay scene. I am guessing any city in the NE megalopolis would too. And although its Atlanta, its STILL Georgia. This is the heart of the right wing Bible Belt. Gays that step two seconds out of Midtown could easily be chastized.

So, Midtown has a nice gay population, probably top 3 in the south, but certainly not top 3 in the east.

Cologne, Germany is also a very gay-friendly city. It reportedly has the highest gay population in Germany. In fact, most of western Germany is pretty gay-friendly, but once you get into Bavaria or into the "Former east side" things get a bit iffy. Things in Austria and southern Germany tend to be much more socially conservative because of the strong Catholic tradition.. but it doesn't go as far as the Evangelicals.

Not a chance man. You should get out of Atlanta. Miami and Chicago I know for sure have a MUCH larger gay scene. I am guessing any city in the NE megalopolis would too. And although its Atlanta, its STILL Georgia. This is the heart of the right wing Bible Belt. Gays that step two seconds out of Midtown could easily be chastized.

So, Midtown has a nice gay population, probably top 3 in the south, but certainly not top 3 in the east.

FYI - Midtown is no longer the exclusive center for gays in Atlanta, in most cases - gays live in other neighborhoods in Atlanta. In addition, are we discussing 'gay scene' or cities with large gay populations. Midtown's gay history developed due to the need for gays to segregate themselves inthe 1960's/1970's - that is no longer the case, as since the 1980's many gays live / gentrify other neighborhoods.

I'm not making a statement that Atlanta's tolerance of gays is note worthy or comparable, but to argue that once a gay person leaves Midtown they would be chastised is somewhat elementary of an arguement.

You obviously are either not gay or not very traveled. Most people in the gay world know that Atlanta is VERY gay...One of the top 3-4 gay places in the USA. Out Magazine, The Census bureau, and numerous other sources will back me up.

And like Brad says...Gays are EVERYWHERE in Atlanta...not just Midtown, which was like the Hotbed of gay life in Atlanta in the 80s. In fact, there are gay bars and clubs scattered around the suburbs....probably a dozen or so in places like Marietta, Decatur, Duluth and Chamblee.

To the gay world, Atlanta is best know for its Grandaddy of all Circuit Parties...Hotlanta, which made Atlanta into a NUMBER 1 Gay destination AROUND THE WORLD in the 1980s-90s. And Im not boostering this is very true....get your facts straight dude!!

You obviously are either not gay or not very traveled. Most people in the gay world know that Atlanta is VERY gay...One of the top 3-4 gay places in the USA. Out Magazine, The Census bureau, and numerous other sources will back me up.

And like Brad says...Gays are EVERYWHERE in Atlanta...not just Midtown, which was like the Hotbed of gay life in Atlanta in the 80s. In fact, there are gay bars and clubs scattered around the suburbs....probably a dozen or so in places like Marietta, Decatur, Duluth and Chamblee.

To the gay world, Atlanta is best know for its Grandaddy of all Circuit Parties...Hotlanta, which made Atlanta into a NUMBER 1 Gay destination AROUND THE WORLD in the 1980s-90s. And Im not boostering this is very true....get your facts straight dude!!

I beg your pardon, but having a big circuit party is hardly the hallmark of a gay mecca. Atlanta is cool, but it can't hold a candle to Provincetown, San Francisco, New York, LA or Palm Springs as a gay destination.

I beg your pardon, but having a big circuit party is hardly the hallmark of a gay mecca. Atlanta is cool, but it can't hold a candle to Provincetown, San Francisco, New York, LA or Palm Springs as a gay destination.

I guess that was my point. Thank you Waccamat. And I agree, most areas within the perimeter in Atlanta are pretty gay friendly. I meant that Midtown is the epicenter and still IMO the seat of gay Atlanta. Like any large city, Atlanta has several urban neighborhoods that gays are attracted to these days. Hell, even here in Louisville there are several neighborhoods with high gay concentrations. This doesnt make Louisville the gay capitol of the south, however. I would say Atlanta is right on par with New Orleans for gays, but well behind Miami, making Atlanta 2 or 3 in the SOUTH for gays.

But outside the perimter you are in the deep south Bible Belt, and you better watch out if you are gay. Therefore, Atlanta is not as "accepting" as you would like to think. And there are still at least a half dozen if not more cities that are much more gay centered than Atlanta. Can you honestly claim that Atlanta has a stronger gay scene and is more accpeting than Chicago? (And Chicago isnt even top 5).

Columbus is one of the strongest cities for gays and lesbians in the midwest. Columbus has extremely strong GLBT community. The city has many neighborhoods which are very gay friendly. Victorian Village just north of downtown Columbus has one of the largest concentrations of gay people in the USA outside of San Francisco.

Many friends that I know who have moved to Columbus from other places in America say it is the most "gay" place they have lived in. Columbus urban core is where the highest percentage of gay people live. The outskirts of Columbus' metro are not as accepting as some other metros where the central city is less accepting than Columbus' central city though. Columbus has openly gay city council members and has protected gay rights while the Ohio Law has not done such a good job in the past 5 years.

Columbus is one of the strongest cities for gays and lesbians in the midwest. Columbus has extremely strong GLBT community. The city has many neighborhoods which are very gay friendly. Victorian Village just north of downtown Columbus has one of the largest concentrations of gay people in the USA outside of San Francisco.

Many friends that I know who have moved to Columbus from other places in America say it is the most "gay" place they have lived in. Columbus urban core is where the highest percentage of gay people live. The outskirts of Columbus' metro are not as accepting as some other metros where the central city is less accepting than Columbus' central city though. Columbus has openly gay city council members and has protected gay rights while the Ohio Law has not done such a good job in the past 5 years.

Ah, thats bull. Everyone's city "has the highest gay concentration" outside SF. I have seen several people claim this. Columbus has a decent gay scene, but not substantially better than any other similar Midwest city. Leave it at that.

Columbus just markets itself well, I dont feel different from Louisville to Cincinnati to Columbus, its just all about talk and perception to me. I cant believe no one has really mentioned Chicago either. Of course because the large center of general population it is going to be more diverse and have different kinds of people. I have always felt Chicago had alot of offerings for the gay community and there are many openly gay people out and about all over.

I guess that was my point. Thank you Waccamat. And I agree, most areas within the perimeter in Atlanta are pretty gay friendly. I meant that Midtown is the epicenter and still IMO the seat of gay Atlanta. Like any large city, Atlanta has several urban neighborhoods that gays are attracted to these days. Hell, even here in Louisville there are several neighborhoods with high gay concentrations. This doesnt make Louisville the gay capitol of the south, however. I would say Atlanta is right on par with New Orleans for gays, but well behind Miami, making Atlanta 2 or 3 in the SOUTH for gays.

But outside the perimter you are in the deep south Bible Belt, and you better watch out if you are gay. Therefore, Atlanta is not as "accepting" as you would like to think. And there are still at least a half dozen if not more cities that are much more gay centered than Atlanta. Can you honestly claim that Atlanta has a stronger gay scene and is more accpeting than Chicago? (And Chicago isnt even top 5).

Yes I do believe Atlanta has a stronger gay scene than Chicago...maybe not as large but Atlanta is alot smaller than Chicago. Percentage wise it has more gays and lesbians. And no, Atlanta is not that far behind Miami in gays and Lesbians...and this is from a person who spends LOTS of time in BOTH Miami/Lauderdale and Atlanta.

Atlanta probably has more gays and Lesbians in the metro area than Nola has people in general right now...sorry but true. And so what if Atlanta is in the bible belt. So is Nola and if you go outside South Beach and Lauderdale you can get hag-bashed just as easy as you can in po-dunkville Georgia. In fact I have been hag-bashed in South Beach of all places (which really isnt that gay anymore) by hip-hoppers. Id still say Atlanta is in the top 3-4 cities in the country for gays and lesbians...large metros at least. I wasnt talking about small cities like palm springs or Provincetown. if I were id through in Decatur Georgia...which probably has a higher percentage of gays and lesbians than either of those towns.

Ah, thats bull. Everyone's city "has the highest gay concentration" outside SF. I have seen several people claim this. Columbus has a decent gay scene, but not substantially better than any other similar Midwest city. Leave it at that.

Id disagree with you there too. From what ive seen...and ive been to both Louisville and Columbus several times, Columbus has a much stronger gay scene.

And in the previous post I meant to say hag bashed..not hag bashed.

You can be openly gay in all cities. Its ridiculous to believe you can't be. It's up to the person and not the city. Millions do it everyday. This does not mean everyone will accept you. I saw a gang of skin heads attack a gay celebration in Tompkins Square (NYC). It takes back bone. This does not mean I would walk down the street in assless chaps or sequenced high heels, but I wouldn't do that on Christopher Street or Castro.

Sorry - But wrong, wrong and wrong. I happen to live in a census district that is ranked 4th nationally in the number of same-sex couples, and we are 9 miles from Midtown - in NW DeKalb County. There are now gay bars outside the Perimeter, including "gasp" Cobb County! The deep South Bible Belt crap is old news, dude. Gays are singlehandedly gentrifying Blue Ridge, about an hour North of the City in the Georgia mountains. There are gay bed and breakfast inns scatered about the mountains. Time you took a closer look at the Atlanta area, and North Georgia. <_<

Id disagree with you there too. From what ive seen...and ive been to both Louisville and Columbus several times, Columbus has a much stronger gay scene.

And in the previous post I meant to say hag bashed..not hag bashed.

agreed ^^^^

Yes Columbus is one the most gay friendly cities in America. I am thankfull for this gay friendly city existing every day. I am gay and i have traveled to most cities and if you are unaware of how gay friendly Columbus is I would welcome you to come here and really explore the city. I will take you around myself if you need me to.

Columbus has the strongest gay scene in the midwest after Chicago no doubt. If anyone isn't aware of this they are ignorant and I do not to explain a solid fact that is everywhere around me in the city I live in.

Columbus has the first restaurant to be themed to the history of gay culture and has given the gay population in the states around Ohio a truely open gay city. I have had friends move to Columbus from Seattle, San Francisco, and other cities and say Columbus is very gay friendly.

All of Columbus gentrified urban neighborhoods are a result of only the cities gay community. I will not have someone dishonor our city by trying to compare it's gay scene to Louisville, and I will not waste any more time on it here. I would much rather spend the time and energy in one of Columbus' gay friendly neighborhoods. goodbye

pictures of Columbus' gay pride in columbus, the largest gay pride between Phili/Washington to Chicago

pridecap05.jpg

pridecbd.jpg

agreed ^^^^

Yes Columbus is one the most gay friendly cities in America. I am thankfull for this gay friendly city existing every day. I am gay and i have traveled to most cities and if you are unaware of how gay friendly Columbus is I would welcome you to come here and really explore the city. I will take you around myself if you need me to.

Columbus has the strongest gay scene in the midwest after Chicago no doubt. If anyone isn't aware of this they are ignorant and I do not to explain a solid fact that is everywhere around me in the city I live in.

Columbus has the first restaurant to be themed to the history of gay culture and has given the gay population in the states around Ohio a truely open gay city. I have had friends move to Columbus from Seattle, San Francisco, and other cities and say Columbus is very gay friendly.

All of Columbus gentrified urban neighborhoods are a result of only the cities gay community. I will not have someone dishonor our city by trying to compare it's gay scene to Louisville, and I will not waste any more time on it here. I would much rather spend the time and energy in one of Columbus' gay friendly neighborhoods. goodbye

pictures of Columbus' gay pride in columbus, the largest gay pride between Phili/Washington to Chicago

pridecap05.jpg

pridecbd.jpg

Where did I mention Louisville ANYWHERE? All I said was dont act like Columbus' gay scene is that great. It is good but not substantially better than any other Midwest city. Outside Chicago, most Midwest cities have a pretty similar gay vibe and acceptance. Columbus could possibly have more numbers than a few other gay Midwestern cities (judging by their parades I have seen), but it is hardly anymore accepting. Any metro over 1 million will have a decent gay scene. Columbus doesnt "blow" any of those scenes out. The Columbus boosterism has gone too far here so I called it out.

Same with the Atlanta deal, I am just not buying that Atlanta has anything that can compare to even a small part of Chicago's gay scene on North Halsted.

Well, then you have obviously never been here! How many Pride parades are you aware of that routinely have 300,000 plus in attendance every year? There are only a handful of cities in the country that can boast numbers like that.

BUT, if you don't believe any of this, just keep on thinking whatever you want to.

Well, then you have obviously never been here! How many Pride parades are you aware of that routinely have 300,000 plus in attendance every year? There are only a handful of cities in the country that can boast numbers like that.

BUT, if you don't believe any of this, just keep on thinking whatever you want to.

Once again, read my quote then get back to me. I said that outside Chicago, most Midwest cities of similar size have similar gay scenes. I also noted that Columbus may have a few more gays due to its larger parades (although this is not all encompassing). And 300k people at a gay pride parade? Sure Columbus has huge ones but 300k people? Prove it. I wanna see a newspaper article stating that from a reliable source.

Dude - First of all, get your panties out of a wad!

I'm not talking about Columbus - I'm talking about Atlanta, and I don't have to prove anything. Look it up yourself.

LOL, no panties are in a wad. I dont believe ATL has a "higher concentration" of gays than Chicago, SF, NYC, LA, or Miami. You will never convince me that. ATL is a great city, and has a great gay scene, but dont overplay it. Thanks.

Archived