Sub-Section URL Aliases

emerging.me

Hey guys,

I think this is technically possible, but it might be too big of a task for a volunteer team to tackle. ... Would it be possible for each city sub-section on the UP boards to have their own short URL? In other words.. to direct people to the Columbia, SC section, I now have to give the full address...

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showforum=193

Not exactly clean and neat enough to include your sig or something.

What if directories could be created for each state/city on the server and an index page put there with a redirect built-in. That way you could just tell people to go to...

http://www.urbanplanet.org/sc/columbia

I know it wouldn't be easy, but I'm sure I'm not the only one that's thought of this.

Keep up the good work!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I meant in an email signature... my bad.

When I correspond with local officials, business leaders, community leaders, etc., I like to refer them to our city's UP section.

I suppose you could still do it that way though if you used HTML formatted email, but I don't. Just throwing it out there. I know it would take some time and effort.

While I'm not ready to release this as I'm working on other projects that would tie into cities and regions I am planning to release such URL's as columbia.urbanplanet.org or charlotte.urbanplanet.org and by going to these pages it would go to the city's page. I can't say that it would go directly to the forum as I'm working to increase functionality possible on UrbanPlanet.org but it would go to that city's specific page on our site. :)

Archived