COMPLETE: RISD Chace Center

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't mind the day-glo bricks on the Chace Center itself, I just don't like the way they wrap onto the Bank Building. The Bank Building should have a different material/color so that it doesn't look like the Chace Center is growing around it.

• 2 months later...

Man, I am continually delighted by the views of new 195 bridge from downtown. During the planning phase, it never occurred to me that it would change the downriver vistas so dramatically.

From this spot on certain days , S. Water St. heading southeast to the hurricane barrier, when there is a breeze and the water is kicked up a little you would swear that you were in Newport and not downtown Providence. Now that the riverwalk has been extended on both sides, this is a very beautiful part of downtown that many people have not found yet. Good for fishing, kayaking, etc.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

On Friday evening, as part of the Inauguration Ceremony for RISDs new President, John Maeda, there will be a projection upon the North Main Street facade of the Chace Center, should look neat from what I've seen/heard of it.

The building dedication is the 27th, at which point this thread will be titled, "COMPLETE."

• 2 weeks later...
Just my two cents but I really don't like the way this building relates to the street and sidewalk. that big gray door with black numbers just stuck on looks awful. Feel like it is the back of a building. I gues the entrance is on the side but I don't know. Between this and the warehouse of classroom space in that entire stretch there is nothing at steet level.

It is a nice new building that did away with a small parking lot on S. Main St. which is good. But I was expecting alot more from the number one design school in the world.

I don't see this blending in with anything else nearby. this looks like it should be on Rt. 6 in Johnston next to the Atwood Medical Building.

I think the biggest problem with the building is what we have wasn't what was designed. It was redesigned on the fly as the school came to the realization of how much (or little) money they had to actually build it. Had they had a more realistic budget from the get-go, I'm sure we'd see a much better building.

Maybe JWU will be the one that surprises us. Or the new Brown Medical School when constructed in/near the Jewely district. Or Conley Pier. Or the Empire at Broadway or 110 if that ever happens. Any of the proposed hotels won't do it. But maybe the Dynamo House could. Time will tell.

The Chase Center had everything going for it and it failed. Hopefully the inside is better than the outside.

• 1 month later...

Archived