Columbus Projects & Developments

ATLman1

03-09-09%20CS%20Exterior%20View%203%20EDITED%20II.jpg

Columbus State has released some new pictures of there proposed rec center. Also, they're changed up the location of the rec center, it's not going to be in ANY of the original places, it's going to take the place of the parking lot in front of the Lumpkin Center.

Some people might say "Wait.. seriously? That's stupid" - but really, it's very smart. CSU is running out of land, so the only way to continously grow is to force people to park in the parking deck and use the extra land to build their campus.

The CSU Foundation also has alot of land around the school, they own ALOT of houses but they don't own enough to get rid of the whole neighborhood just yet.. CSU is in it's early years and there are alot of great changes are new things coming, i'm proud of was the new president is doing.. alot more change that when the past presidents have been around.

03-09-09%20CS%20Exterior%20View%203%20EDITED%20II.jpg

Columbus State has released some new pictures of there proposed rec center. Also, they're changed up the location of the rec center, it's not going to be in ANY of the original places, it's going to take the place of the parking lot in front of the Lumpkin Center.

Some people might say "Wait.. seriously? That's stupid" - but really, it's very smart. CSU is running out of land, so the only way to continously grow is to force people to park in the parking deck and use the extra land to build their campus.

The CSU Foundation also has alot of land around the school, they own ALOT of houses but they don't own enough to get rid of the whole neighborhood just yet.. CSU is in it's early years and there are alot of great changes are new things coming, i'm proud of was the new president is doing.. alot more change that when the past presidents have been around.

I am so proud of the new president and CSU for doing this... the school is doing an excellent job for pushing away from the sprawling layout of the campus into a more efficient semi-urban look. It'll be much more easier for people like me (who walk) to navigate the campus. I love the design of the building as well. It looks bigger than the original Lumpkin Center, by the way.

Does anyone know what the designs will look like for the Baker Village Revitalization? What about the new construction going up across the Brewer School on Buena Vista Road?

The development across from Brewer School will be a very unique (for this area) housing development. The design incorporates a number of modern design principles. Large overhangs that serve to create front porches while also providing shading for better day-lighting of the interiors. The buildings are arranged in a manner that facilitates community safety and interaction. The budget and materials are similar to other market rate housing but are combined to create a unique form. I will see if I can post the rendered image but based on the pace of construction, you will see the finished project soon.

The development across from Brewer School will be a very unique (for this area) housing development. The design incorporates a number of modern design principles. Large overhangs that serve to create front porches while also providing shading for better day-lighting of the interiors. The buildings are arranged in a manner that facilitates community safety and interaction. The budget and materials are similar to other market rate housing but are combined to create a unique form. I will see if I can post the rendered image but based on the pace of construction, you will see the finished project soon.

I just wish that these new developments were more urban in design. I don't mean the aesthetics, but the structural design. It's an opportunity to introduce new urbanism concepts to Columbus and show that they can work. Such as this public-private development in DT B'ham. 229801-0-0-1.jpg

I am so proud of the new president and CSU for doing this... the school is doing an excellent job for pushing away from the sprawling layout of the campus into a more efficient semi-urban look. It'll be much more easier for people like me (who walk) to navigate the campus. I love the design of the building as well. It looks bigger than the original Lumpkin Center, by the way.

That is a really great decision. That will leave some other room for future dorms. The school must develop up. The school needs actual dorms for students who might not want or can afford apartments. I could see multi-story dorms on the campus by 2014.

I just wish that these new developments were more urban in design. I don't mean the aesthetics, but the structural design. It's an opportunity to introduce new urbanism concepts to Columbus and show that they can work. Such as this public-private development in DT B'ham.

New Urbanism design varies in density as appropriate to the site/market. Many New Urbanist planned communities are two story developments. Your Birmingham example would be appropriate for Uptown/midtown Columbus. It is not appropriate to place just anywhere in the city. The site across from Brewar changed from, I believe it was three suburban single family home lots into a new 28 unit development with a community center. That is a significant change in density.

The reality is that when you move from 2 stories to 3 stories and up you began to incur additional costs/code implications that the market can't justify in most locations. In order to justify the cost of mid-rise, urban apartments, you need to be located in desirable, diverse urban environments. There are sites downtown where the Birmingham example you indicated would work well. I would love to see the Ledger Enquirer building demolished and a mixed use, ground floor retail, lofts above scheme executed. It would actively engage the sidewalk/streetscape along Broadway. The slope of the sight would allow for structured parking at the levels below the Broadway grade.

The site is large enough to create it's own synergy. The available ground floor retail space would be large enough to accommodate the 28,000 sq ft Publix Grocery urban store model for example, or hopefully a more classic urban grocer-marketplace-cafe option found in well established urban communities. It is adjacent to the nearby lofts on the riverfront and the currently active parts of Broadway. It is also a short walk to the new Thayer YMCA.

The site adjacent to and behind the Country's on Broadway would also be an excellent location for a large, mixed use development.

Edited by Zumthor

New Urbanism design varies in density as appropriate to the site/market. Many New Urbanist planned communities are two story developments. Your Birmingham example would be appropriate for Uptown/midtown Columbus. It is not appropriate to place just anywhere in the city. The site across from Brewar changed from, I believe it was three suburban single family home lots into a new 28 unit development with a community center. That is a significant change in density.

The reality is that when you move from 2 stories to 3 stories and up you began to incur additional costs/code implications that the market can't justify in most locations. In order to justify the cost of mid-rise, urban apartments, you need to be located in desirable, diverse urban environments. There are sites downtown where the Birmingham example you indicated would work well. I would love to see the Ledger Enquirer building demolished and a mixed use, ground floor retail, lofts above scheme executed. It would actively engage the sidewalk/streetscape along Broadway. The slope of the sight would allow for structured parking at the levels below the Broadway grade.

The site is large enough to create it's own synergy. The available ground floor retail space would be large enough to accommodate the 28,000 sq ft Publix Grocery urban store model for example, or hopefully a more classic urban grocer-marketplace-cafe option found in well established urban communities. It is adjacent to the nearby lofts on the riverfront and the currently active parts of Broadway. It is also a short walk to the new Thayer YMCA.

The site adjacent to and behind the Country's on Broadway would also be an excellent location for a large, mixed use development.

Obviously, different development types are appropriate/inappropriate for a location. A 5-acre lot estate development is no more appropriate in downtown Columbus as a 4-story mixed use development would be in Upatoi.

There are at least 6 areas of Columbus where such developments could be successful. 1) downtown, 2) midtown, 3) Medical District, 4) Bibb City, 5) Rosehill, 6) CSU/Peachtree. I say could be because even within those areas, some sites would be more suitable than others. Three of those six areas could one day utilize a Warm Springs light rail line. A light rail line where TOD's are encouraged could work in this city if timed correctly given the potential population boom. Otherwise, there will be sprawl. The last phase of the CPC could even accommodate a mixed use development as could have the last phase of Bradley Park. They could have added a couple of floors to those little retail strips and had a nice little community in there. As it happened, that whole development was kind of patch-worked.

I heartily disagree with the notion of demolishing the Mediterranean portion of the L-E building.

Obviously, different development types are appropriate/inappropriate for a location. A 5-acre lot estate development is no more appropriate in downtown Columbus as a 4-story mixed use development would be in Upatoi.

There are at least 6 areas of Columbus where such developments could be successful. 1) downtown, 2) midtown, 3) Medical District, 4) Bibb City, 5) Rosehill, 6) CSU/Peachtree. I say could be because even within those areas, some sites would be more suitable than others. Three of those six areas could one day utilize a Warm Springs light rail line. A light rail line where TOD's are encouraged could work in this city if timed correctly given the potential population boom. Otherwise, there will be sprawl. The last phase of the CPC could even accommodate a mixed use development as could have the last phase of Bradley Park. They could have added a couple of floors to those little retail strips and had a nice little community in there. As it happened, that whole development was kind of patch-worked.

I heartily disagree with the notion of demolishing the Mediterranean portion of the L-E building.

I agree with your 6 site locations for higher density development. The CSU/Peachtree location has so much potential if a light rail line were put in linking it to downtown. A higher density of live -work -play -learn in this area would have so many benefits to the community. Not only would it improve the quality of life, I believe it would save the city in operating expenses in the long run. Maintaining roads, water, sewer, police, and fire resources in a denser area will be cheaper than constantly spreading out those resource across the continued suburban sprawl.

Regarding the Mediterranean portion of the LE building, you do realize that is a more recent "tacked on" contrivance. It is not an historical asset. To me, it is the architectural equivalent of supergluing Mercedes emblems on to the hood and wheels of a Ford Pickup. The disengagement from Broadway that the set back creates is antithetical to good urban design. Faux Italian villa artifice picked from a catalog and tacked on to a facade is not good architecture. Columbus needs, and that site deserves, an architectural solution worthy of the resources it will take to transition that site into a new, dynamic, mixed use development. Saddling a developer and an architect with trying to "preserve" the Italianate contrivance will only diminish the end results. There are buildings worth the time and effort to preserve, that is not one of them.

I would like to see the old Raymond Rowe building razed. That corner on Broadway would be perfect for a mixed-use project. Any word on what the plans are for that building?

I have not heard of any plans but I think it may be possible to change the curtain wall system (the exterior skin) of both Raymond Rowe and the tower portion of the Leger Enquirer building. Substantially more windows would be required to make either of these viable for loft conversions. However, re-using the existing structure would be a more sustainable solution. I would love to be able to keep all that glass at the base of the Raymond Rowe building and have a nice, well designed restaurant and bar. At night, lit up, with all that glass on a street corner, the place would be very engaging and could become a beacon for new development in the adjacent buildings.

Regarding the Mediterranean portion of the LE building, you do realize that is a more recent "tacked on" contrivance. It is not an historical asset. To me, it is the architectural equivalent of supergluing Mercedes emblems on to the hood and wheels of a Ford Pickup. The disengagement from Broadway that the set back creates is antithetical to good urban design. Faux Italian villa artifice picked from a catalog and tacked on to a facade is not good architecture. Columbus needs, and that site deserves, an architectural solution worthy of the resources it will take to transition that site into a new, dynamic, mixed use development. Saddling a developer and an architect with trying to "preserve" the Italianate contrivance will only diminish the end results. There are buildings worth the time and effort to preserve, that is not one of them.

Sure, it may be a relatively recent 'addition', but it's there now. And at least it's not one more red brick building. It has some flavor, even if it's 'contrived'. The set back could be an asset. It's not antithetical at all. There are many good examples of urban design that have small green spaces to create a little respite between the building an the concrete surroundings. I get nervous when people talk about tearing something down because it doesn't fit a current day notion of what's worth saving. I'm not saying it's worthy of historic register or anything. Someone one day will want to demolish the 'new' Government Center. Those people will be no better than the one's who demolished the old Courthouse.

post-13798-1241451667_thumb.jpg

post-13798-1241451675_thumb.jpg

post-13798-1241451683_thumb.jpg

Edited by aboutmetro

Sure, it may be a relatively recent 'addition', but it's there now. And at least it's not one more red brick building. It has some flavor, even if it's 'contrived'. The set back could be an asset. It's not antithetical at all. There are many good examples of urban design that have small green spaces to create a little respite between the building an the concrete surroundings. I get nervous when people talk about tearing something down because it doesn't fit a current day notion of what's worth saving. I'm not saying it's worthy of historic register or anything. Someone one day will want to demolish the 'new' Government Center. Those people will be no better than the one's who demolished the old Courthouse.

Yes, I have to say, the fact that it is not "one more red brick building" is definitely in it's favor. The pictures you listed are from the 12th street side of the building not the Broadway side. Yes, that portion of the building should be saved, that portion has historic value. It is the portion along Broadway that I think should be revisited.

Regarding the set back, my concern is that at present it is a parking lot, a very suburban model. It creates an unwelcome void in the street scape. Yes, urban park spaces between buildings can be quite an Oasis. If the wall separating this space from Broadway were removed, and a cluster of restaurants and retail were able to open up on to a public plaza with lots of green and flowing water elements, then yes, I am sold on the set back. However to keep it as a parking lot walled off from the most pedestrian friendly street in Columbus, that to me is not desirable.

Yes it was wrong to demolish the old courthouse just as it was wrong to demolish the old city market in Savannah to build a parking garage. Those mistakes and others led to the Historic Preservation movement. However, the desire to protect the valued sometimes is stretched to protect all that is simply older than the new. To me, a smarter approach is to view the city much as a gardener views his garden. Selectively planting, pruning, and weeding as necessary to create something beautiful and enjoyable.

• 2 weeks later...

The landings on Airport Thruway is getting a new sports bar called pickel and barrel at the site of the former backyard burgers rest. Their website shows they currently have a location in milledgeville. No date on a opening yet but the hiring process has begun already.

The Phenixian high rise condominium that was set to be built just across the river in downtown Phenix City has ditched by the developer, Ronnie Gilley Properties. As of now the Phenix City Council has not been given the final word on whether or not the development of the condo will be pursued, but from what it seems and what has been reported by WTVM, it will not be built. I've tried going to the Ronnie Gilley Properties website, but viruses have tried to infiltrate my computer by doing so... so I advise others to exercise caution trying to visit there. It also sends a clear indication that their business might be in disarray.

Even though this development is partially irrelevant to Columbus, it is an extremely horrible loss to both cities. This could have become the catalyst needed to spur the dynamic urban development that we so desire in both areas.

Edited by xikartu

The Phenixian high rise condominium that was set to be built just across the river in downtown Phenix City has ditched by the developer, Ronnie Gilley Properties. As of now the Phenix City Council has not been given the final word on whether or not the development of the condo will be pursued, but from what it seems and what has been reported by WTVM, it will not be built. I've tried going to the Ronnie Gilley Properties website, but viruses have tried to infiltrate my computer by doing so... so I advise others to exercise caution trying to visit there. It also sends a clear indication that their business might be in disarray.

Even though this development is partially irrelevant to Columbus, it is an extremely horrible loss to both cities. This could have become the catalyst needed to spur the dynamic urban development that we so desire in both areas.

That is terrible news. PC is half of the downtown market.

• 2 weeks later...

As of now the plans for the Phenixian are still a go the statments you are reffering to came from pc mayor Coulter he only made a guess which was ignorant on his part he never spoke with gilley properties. J.W. Brannen Pc's riverfront econmic development director told the east alabama citizen the project is still a go and RGP has devoted millions already to securing the land needed to build the high rise condo. Plus their company is still doing fairly well they are building a multimillion dollar complex near Dothan

As of now the plans for the Phenixian are still a go the statments you are reffering to came from pc mayor Coulter he only made a guess which was ignorant on his part he never spoke with gilley properties. J.W. Brannen Pc's riverfront econmic development director told the east alabama citizen the project is still a go and RGP has devoted millions already to securing the land needed to build the high rise condo. Plus their company is still doing fairly well they are building a multimillion dollar complex near Dothan

Any word on when construction might begin?

• 2 weeks later...

Im sure everyone is aware, but the National Infantry Museum opened today.

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/news/breaki...ory/754022.html

3,000 people were on hand for the festivities this morning. An article last week talked about the economic impact of the museum. It threw out huge numbers (millions of dollars of impact and hundreds of thousands of visitors), which are probably wishful thinking. Hoepfully it will draw people from the surrounding areas into Columbus and provide visitors from further away something interesting to do while they are in town. I am excited about going out there. Not growing up in a city with a military presence, I am probably not as familiar with Ft. Benning and the Infantry as some of you locals, but I think I can get intothe museum, me being a big history buff and all.

• 4 weeks later...

It's started renting. WRBL

Video

Dollar Tree has opened a new location by the Airport Thruway Walmart. They're also building another location in the Billings Crossing by the Gateway Rd Walmart.

Pickle Barrel Cafe has opened in the old Backyard Burger on Airport Thruway as well.

Lastly, CSU has some construction going on. They are fixing some roads that are alittle out of wack. Allowing you to make a full loop around campus now. Before, in front Richards Hall, you had to go through a parking lot to get around the full loop of campus.

Also, they're remodeling the library adding some new computers, some fresh paint and also a small bagel and coffee shop inside the library. Construction is coming to a close on the new Student Success Center, set to open in November. And construction is about to start on the new Student Rec Center which is going to be placed in the old parking lot in front of the Lumpkin Center - this will force students to park in the parking deck (Good! 'cause they're paying for it)-- the 96,000 SQ FT building should be done by October 2010.

More info on all of these projects at http://www.colstate.edu/news/viewnews.asp?ItemNum=1190

• 2 weeks later...