Reynolds Tower II

ericurbanite

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heres the link to the story.

Building Higher Together

"The duo also has proposed a 32-story building on land bounded by Hillsborough, Dawson and Morgan streets. And they're working on a deal that could bring a 15-story office building to the southeast corner of Harrington and Hillsborough."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, that is great. I am glad to see some high rises to be built on the horizon.

Southeast corner of Harrington and Hillsborough? That's right next to the 32 story proposal (it's in the 300 block, on the same side of the street.) This article is rather pessimistic about Reynolds' chances to make the 32 story building work, but it's also good to hear that he's still hard at work on it.

I love the quote at the end of the article:

"When the Hurricanes win the Stanley Cup, they're not going to have a ticker tape parade out on Six Forks Road," said David Reynolds. "They're going to have it on Fayetteville Street and Hillsborough Street. It's a focal point for our whole community."
That's an interesting way of illustrating why downtown is important - even the suburbanites who otherwise wouldn't if downtown burned to the ground can understand that.

I think if you step back and think about this, the 32 story tower sounds like it might be in trouble. Reynolds is havin a hard time finding a tennant and a deadline is looming. Perhaps the 15 story tower which would be nearby is the backup/more attainable plan.

To be honest, a 15 story building would fit in a lot better at that location. The tallest buildings should be near/along Fayetteville Street.

JB

Does it really matter all that much if we get a 32 story tower anytime soon? I want downtown to succeed as much as anyone, but IMO that doesn't necessarily mean having the tallest towers. Get people living, working, and playing there and things will start to happen of their own accord. I'd be much happier with a few more residential ~10 story condos announced right now, honestly.

I wouldn't mind having a new tallest anywhere downtown, I don't think tall buildings should be limited to a block or 2 of Fayetteville Street. I mean Raleigh is approaching 350,000 people, surely it's ok to build a tower taller then 20 stories somewhere downtown NOT on a specific block on a single street....

Bleh I'm just pessimistic I guess. I'd be pleasantly suprised if we get anything over 20 floors out of any of the proposals. Downtown Raleigh will never be downtown Charlotte, and I doubt that many people want it to be....

I simply think that downtown Raleigh needs to start reflecting it's population, I mean it's the 2nd largest city in the state with over 100,000 people more then the 3rd, time to build up a little....

I know having people living, working, and "playing" (ugh I hate saying playing, reminds me of adults in a sandbox or something) in downtown is more important then skyscrapers but I personally think that Raleigh is a great enough city to have both....

I agree, we can have both. When you think about it there are several cities were downtowns havent really started to grow tall until late. And a few still won't Phoenix, AZ can't because of the airport. Sacramento, CA. Austin, TX is just starting to get more tall buildings, and there are other cities in that list. In time Raleigh will have a really great downtown, things have just been postponed sad to say due to our greatest treasure "RTP". Sort of a catch 22. I believe a happy medium can be reached. Just stick around.

Oh we can do it. If the city can pull in an 8th of its population each year, and only a couple thousand are really needed to fill two towers downtown, it can certainly find them.

If RBC and Suntrust are building important operation centers in the state capital, they're not going to want to lowball it.

Even if both buildings wind up 20 stories, that'll still greatly affect the density and livelihood of downtown, and I think from there it'll be easier to attract future tenants for larger projects.

Whether or not we get two 30 floor buildings now or later, I still predict Raleigh's skyline to be twice as big by 2010.

This is the lot between Hillsborough and Morgan right? I'd say that's a good place to put high density development, whether or not it's 30 floors.

God Dawson has so many surface lots. Dawson would be a good street to focus on redevelopment once Fville is fixed. The giant lot between Morgan, Harrington, Dawson, and Hargett would be a perfect place for a 4-floor urban mall or something. That would almost completely solidify growth down the rest of the street.

The giant lot between Morgan, Harrington, Dawson, and Hargett would be a perfect place for a 4-floor urban mall or something. That would almost completely solidify growth down the rest of the street.
Er. The Dawson on Morgan already takes up the north 1/3 of that block. The southern part of it is going to be filled by this project.

With this and the Reynolds project, provided that it happens, Dawson Street is going to change a LOT over the next few years.

Doesn't the SE corner of Harrington and Hillsborough contain a bunch of street-level retail? I think that little strip has a bunch of personality. The NW corner, however, is blight.

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=35.780639,-...07522&t=k&hl=en

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The SE corner has that orange brick mansion that is a law office adjacent to the Flying Saucer. I would hate to see that mansion torn down...it is probably c. 1910 and is one of four left from a dozen or so that used to line Hillsborough in the original grid. Nobody notices that mansion because they are too busy noticing Second Empire. The other two of the four, are the Democratic party headquarters and the red brick one next door to it.

If anyone can think of a good place to move houses like this please let me know, there are several others worth keeping slated to be torn down at some point, including the old Domicile space(c. 1775, the old Whitaker family home/mansion). The Elizabeth Lawerence (c. 1915 4000 sqft colonial revival house like seen in Oakwood neighborhood, but this was on Park Ave behind IHOP) house was recently torn down by a fraternity and efforts to save it failed because there was not a suitable place to move it.

Archived