Atlanta's Hidden Gems

Martinman

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wonderful idea for a thread, Martinman. Is this what you were downtown today for?

Some beautiful pictures of the forgotten treasures of our city.

I must say that my favorite of these buildings has always been the Candler. The decorations on it make it a signature building for those years in Atlanta's history. I've always been a fan of those sculptures around the doorway.

These buildings are truly amazing. They are surrounded by relative newness but yet they are far superior in execution. These pictures are excellent but they are even more pretty in person. Everytime I have walk past these buildings I am amazed at their beauty. :wub:

While I am proud of the new buildings in Atlanta, these buildings are true gems of the city.

For all the tearing down that Atlanta did, it does still have some great historic skyscrapers as Martinman has pointed out. I do not have photos, but I really like the art deco ones from the late 1920s/early 1930s. I am thinking of the William Oliver Building on Peachtree across from Woodruf Park downtown and the Doctor's Building on Peachtree just south of Crawford Long Hospital. The William Oliver Building is now condo and the Doctor's Building was recently renovated for offices. I also really like the Ponce diagonally across from the Fox Theater. It is a great high rise apartment building from the 1910s that is now a condo building.

Though it's much maligned, I also like the AT&T building in downtown, art deco tower that looks more like a stump. Because it was never completed, they stopped after 10 stories in the 1920's & added a few more in the 1930's. But this could have been Atlanta's premier tower, but to top off the humiliation, AT&T stuck a telecom structure on top.

If anyone has the time, view the detailing of the facade of this building, especially the entrance of the lobby - great art deco.

Maybe this is a bit broad and not hidden, but I freggin' Love The Vinings area :wub:

Last Cinco de Mayo I went and explored it a bit more after eating a tasy meal from La Paz (and a few Margaritas to boot :D ). It is truly an unbelievable part of ATL. If I moved back that is where I would "set up shop". Talk about a beautiful girls. Hubba Hubba ! B)

A2

Archived