Greenville Summit (old Hotel Greenville)

csedwards72

I saw a sign on the old Hotel Greenville, now the Greenville Summit subsidized housing building, across from First Presbyterian stating that a hearing is being held by a design/preservation commission re: the building. Any news about the building? It's looking really ratty these days; perhaps it could be remodeled like the Poinsett Hotel was and turned into a nice hotel again or condominiums or the like?

Also, my earliest memories of the Hotel Greenville are from the 1970s, when it was already run-down. Was it ever a nice hotel like the Poinsett was? When did it go downhill? Any other news or recollections of that hotel would be really appreciated.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That sign has been there for quite a long time now, but I've not heard of anything but rumors of renovation. It appeared that there was some exterior work being done yesterday afternoon, so maybe it has already begun?

I highly recommend going to the main Library and looking in the local and regional history room for anything and everything regarding the old hotel's past. If you find out when it first opened, you will be able to read the Greenville News for that very day to see what was reported on its grand opening. :) You can even pay a small fee and photocopy anything from the old paper.

• 4 months later...

I've been watching the work progress on the exterior of the Greenville Summit and it appears near completion. This upgrade has transformed the building from a depressing eyesore to a beautifully respectful resemblance of its original appearance in the early 1900s. The new canopies have really added a quality look. I don't have any pictures today, but will try to get some soon. :shades:

I've been watching the work progress on the exterior of the Greenville Summit and it appears near completion. This upgrade has transformed the building from a depressing eyesore to a beautifully respectful resemblance of its original appearance in the early 1900s. The new canopies have really added a quality look. I don't have any pictures today, but will try to get some soon. :shades:

This is looking nice. I noticed last week. Do you have photos Skyliner?

• 10 months later...

What's wrong with the 1950's?

I walked by this building over the weekend and as nice as the outside now looks, the interior looks as if it's straight out of the 1950s! I've never been inside but it seemed very plain and dated.

No wonder developers transformed the Poinsett, not this, into the Westin.

Archived