George Hincapie Day

NYTransplant

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations to Hincapie on his win at GP de Plouay.

At the bottom of this article, featured on a pro cycling news site, is a great mention of the Greenville Cycling Classic coming up in mid October. Scroll all the way down to see the section titled "Greenville, South Carolina To Host George Hincapie". Great exposure for Greenville.

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=3429

Congratulations to Hincapie on his win at GP de Plouay.

At the bottom of this article, featured on a pro cycling news site, is a great mention of the Greenville Cycling Classic coming up in mid October. Scroll all the way down to see the section titled "Greenville, South Carolina To Host George Hincapie".  Great exposure for Greenville.

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=3429

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm still hoping George is going to bring his buddy Lance along for the Classic. :whistling:

• 2 weeks later...

Stranger things have happened, and this news makes one think that your wish is not out of the question.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050907/ap_on_...g_retirement_10

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow :blink:

I didn't see that coming.

One of my favorite quotes is something Bob Roll said, I can't remeber it verbatim, so I'm paraphrasing:

1. The only way to beat Lance is to not make him angry.

2. Beating Lance makes him angry.

Looks like they made him angry. :o

Don't forget, Friday is George Hincapie day. The festivities start at 6:00pm.

Somehow my wife & I managed to make our way up to the front of the stage. I got lots of photos of George, Lance, Mayor White and Jim DeMint. After the speeches, Lance was making his way off the stage and back into the Hyatt. My wife grabbed my hat & my sharpie and sprinted through the crowd and put herself between Lance and the Hotel doors. As he made his way in, he was gracious enough to sign the hat. She brought it back to me as I was waiting in line to get George's autograph on the hat. I shook George's hand and congratulated him and he signed my hat. My wife brought my bike wheel up for George to sign. She was very exited all night about getting to meet George & Lance. Way Cool night B)

a884df4d.jpg

c5639b00.jpg

19f2e0a5.jpg

It turns out that I was unable to delay my prior appointment ( :( ), but it looks like you had a WONDERFUL experience tonight! GREAT photos, NYTransplant!!! :D You've gotten my nod for UP photographer of the year. ^_^ How was the ceremony? Did Lance speak? What did George have to say? Mayor White? Senator DeMint? Man, I wish I could have been there!

It turns out that I was unable to delay my prior appointment ( :( ), but it looks like you had a WONDERFUL experience tonight!  GREAT photos, NYTransplant!!! :D  You've gotten my nod for UP photographer of the year. ^_^  How was the ceremony?  Did Lance speak?  What did George have to say?  Mayor White?  Senator DeMint?  Man, I wish I could have been there!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Skyliner, I must say that for me, this was a great experience. I've been a fan of Lance, George and the Postal/Discovery team for many years. To be able to experience this is something I never thought I would have a chance to do.

Mayor White read read the proclamation making September 9th George Hincapie Day and presented it to George.

0b2965ed.jpg

Jim Demint also had a proclamation.

9f3120f7.jpg

Lance then got up and had some great things to say about George as a teammate and as a person. The first thing he said was "There is a saying in Texas, I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as fast as I could. George wasn't born in Greenville, but he got here as fast as he could." Lance mentioned how much George loves Greenville and that he has tried to convince him move to Texas, but he wants to stay in Greenville.

The one thing you could see is the closeness and genuine friendship the two of them share as they sat on stage together.

756f55dc.jpg

WYFF has a story & video on their web site.

Wow NYTransplant, your photos are a lot better than mine. Thanks for posting them. It really was a great event and the turnout was even better than I expected. My kids were very excited to see both of those guys up close and in person. We saw Armstrong race at the Tour de Georgia this spring, which they also loved, but it was hard for them to really recognize him with the glasses and helmet.

Most importantly, this kind of exposure is good for the cycling scene in Greenville. Hats off to everybody involved in staging this great event

Archived