"Alticor"

zenstyle

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I often wondered if the name change had somthing to do with possible public relations issues with the name Amway. The Amway name, however, is still used and still remains the largest entity under the Alticor umbrella. While many folks think the company runs some sort of pyramid scheme, it's my understanding they were cleared by the Feds of having participated in any illegal activities. I'm certainly not going to thumb my nose up at people that have done more for Grand Rapids than any one else.

Granted, the DeVos and Van Andel families have done a lot for GR, but how much different would the city look if instead of having two great philanthropic families, it had one multi-billion dollar corporation headquartered downtown (and I don't mean downtown Ada)?

I often wondered if the name change had somthing to do with possible public relations issues with the name Amway.  The Amway name, however, is still used and still remains the largest entity under the Alticor umbrella.  While many folks think the company runs some sort of pyramid scheme, it's my understanding company was cleared by the Fed's of having any illegal activities.  I'm certainly not going to thumb my nose up at people that have done more for Grand Rapids than any one else.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know, either. But just because they're name was cleared by the feds of any wrongdoing doesn't mean that haven'e been branded by the public. Case in point: Michael Jackson! :rofl:

I'm not going to knock them either, though, even if they are way out in Ada. I'm no expert, but it seems like they have been good for the region and contributed a lot to downtown GR.

I don't know, either.  But just because they're name was cleared by the feds of any wrongdoing doesn't mean that haven'e been branded by the public. Case in point: Michael Jackson!  :rofl:

I'm not going to knock them either, though, even if they are way out in Ada.  I'm no expert, but it seems like they have been good for the region and contributed a lot to downtown GR.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Before we bash "scamway" ask the residents of downtown Flint what general motors has contributed to thier landscape lately. Its great to have local patriarchs, and selling soap is a long way from selling crack.

No one needs to kneel and worship them, but what is wrong with investing in downtown? They make money doing it and our city gets buildings, residents, retail, etc. It seems like a win-win situation to me. I'd rather have Amway building stuff downtown instead of sitting on their giant pile of money way out in Ada.

Granted, the DeVos and Van Andel families have done a lot for GR, but how much different would the city look if instead of having two great philanthropic families, it had one multi-billion dollar corporation headquartered downtown (and I don't mean downtown Ada)?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yah, we could have One Enron Center, or Worldcom Plaza downtown. Or I hear Tyco is looking for some tax-free land for a new HQ :D Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

And zenstlye, I think the word Alticor gets mentioned because that is legally the company name that is putting up the new hotel. It's really that simple, regardless of your beliefs.

Zenstyle,

Chill out or go somewhere else. Enough said.

Joe

Before we bash "scamway" ask the residents of downtown Flint what general motors has contributed to thier landscape lately. Its great to have local patriarchs, and selling soap is a long way from selling crack.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

While I don't think it's a scam, or illegal, I can say that I get tired of people commenting on my " great customer service skills", and then asking me if i'm interested in a "great business oppurtunity". I'll take to making my fortune the old fasion way with hard work.

I do hail the philanthrophy of the founders though, they arent just building, nice buildings, they are setting this area up to thrive for years to come.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In Lansing GM is still here, building a new factory, and has done nothing for the city just to be a good neighbor. Be greatful you have local donors to your downtown, I wouldn't care about their business practices if lived in GR.

In Lansing GM is still here, building a new factory, and has done nothing for the city just to be a good neighbor. Be greatful you have local donors to your downtown, I wouldn't care about their business practices if lived in GR.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Right on, hood. As long as what they are doing is legal and not outside ethical standards, then who cares? Although, I don't think the DeVos crew builds all these buildings out of the goodness of their hearts. They are still in in to make money, but, again, so what? As long as they aren't building crap then I am all for it.

I realize they are out to make money, but it appears they are taking risks that other developers won't. The new Mariott is an example, I'm sure it will be successful, but I wouldn't bet my millions on it. Lansing only has one major hotel downtown and no developers have even hinted at building a new although I bet it would be successful. It takes someone with an interest in the city they are building in to take that kind of risk, they deserve at least some praise.

I realize they are out to make money, but it appears they are taking risks that other developers won't. The new Mariott is an example, I'm sure it will be successful, but I wouldn't bet my millions on it. Lansing only has one major hotel downtown and no developers have even hinted at building a new although I bet it would be successful. It takes someone with an interest in the city they are building in to take that kind of risk, they deserve at least some praise.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with that. If I am not mistaken, hasn't the convention center also lost a few million since it opened? They do have an interest in this city, because otherwise, they's have a bunch of buildings in Manhattan or Chicago. And most of their buildings end up looking pretty good too, which is more than we can say about certain developers in GR... :whistling:

Say what you want about the Amway people, but their efforts have greatly benefitted the quality of my life. West Michigan would be pretty dull without all of the things they have done.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. BTW, welcome d59.

Without Devos and Vanandel wed only have the Meijer Family to donate their money to the city. Given the Meijer family's super fiscal conservatism, I don't think we would ever see a "Meijer Grand Plaza", or any development of the sort.

I disagree completely with the Amway families on most issues, and I believe that a Devos trying to run for governor is like nominating Jeffery Fieger to run for governor.

#1 You will never see me on my knees with an Amway family ass in my face.

But like Jack Thompson trying to agree with Hillary Clinton about Grand Theft Auto, I do have to admit, at least they do put a little effort into the city they call home, even if it sometimes stymies other development.

As we all know nothing last forever, So enjoy their philanthropy while they still are feeling generous, because all it takes is one generatio of greedy spoiled brats to ruin it for all.

Archived