Belk at Eden Mall

StevenRocks

Has anyone been to the Belk store at Eden Mall in Eden? It's the largest surviving business in one of the deadest enclosed malls in North Carolina that's still occupied.

This store opend in 1980, and save for a handful of minor details, is architecturally unchanged inside and out some 25 years later. I hadn't been there in over 15 years until I checked it out on Saturday. I was flabbergasted that the store hadn't changed at all after all this time, yet completely facinated.

Does anyone know of any other stores stuck in a timewarp this bad?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ Agreed. That mall is toast, though the owner is planning some sports and recreation-related concessions and building improvements on the old Kmart end. I doubt it'll save the place, but it's an effort.

Check out the article: steve's blog {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} Eden Mall to add sports complex, restaurant

Someone needs to take some pictures of the Belk though, before the place gets closed and moves closer to the new Wal-Mart Supercenter(my guess on what will happen eventually.) It is the only store I've ever seen that is still a pitch-perfect store from 1980, down to the last detail. It really is a treasure for retail geeks everywhere.

No, never been there. But I have been to the one in Reidsville. I used to go there a lot. But it's been 10 years since I went last.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You must go to Eden Mall, roadgeek. If you like old retail and miss Carolina Circle as much I know you do, it's gonna make you happy.

It's not nearly as outlandish, but it has it's own early '80s charm, and since so much stuff has left over the years and not been replaced, the mall is frozen in time, like a retail museum.

The Belk is the prize though. 99% authentic from opening. Prefect pitch 1980 store.

Has anyone been to the Belk store at Eden Mall in Eden?  It's the largest surviving business in one of the deadest enclosed malls in North Carolina that's still occupied.

This store opend in 1980, and save for a handful of minor details, is architecturally unchanged inside and out some 25 years later.  I hadn't been there in over 15 years until I checked it out on Saturday.  I was flabbergasted that the store hadn't changed at all after all this time, yet completely facinated. 

Does anyone know of any other stores stuck in a timewarp this bad?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I do know of the Bestway grocery store on Walker Ave in Greensboro. There used to be a chain of these 20+ years ago, but this is the only one left. Exept for the merchandise and cash registers, it is like walking into 1970.

122802edenmall.jpg

(Doug Thompson / Capitol Hill Blue)

Footsteps echo in the empty hallways of the Eden Mall in Eden, North Carolina, just two days after Christmas, 2002. Eden, once a thriving textile mill town in northern North Carolina, is struggling like many towns where the principal industry has either closed or moved out. On the second shopping day after Christmas, a day when most shopping malls are packed, fewer than 50 cars could be found in the parking lot of Eden Mall.

Not to be nitpicky, but I thought it was Harris Teeter that bought out Big Star.  Unless that one was sold individually before the buyout/merger...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Eden Big Star store was sold individually somewhere around 1985 to Food Lion. Big Star didn't sell out to Harris Teeter until 1988.

I very vaquely remember Big Star. I swear, I don't know if my mind is playing tricks on me or what but didn't they have a "Big Star" on their stores in addition to the words "Big Star"? Maybe I'm just associating the image with the name but if any1 can scrounge up a semi modern (aka '80's) image of their logo or picture of 1 of their stores it would be cool :)

Archived