Former Old Stone Bank Building purchased by Brown

AriPVD

I don't really think Brown as any plans to skip across Route 95 to RIH, we'll have to wait for that wasteland to be developed by the hospitals and the private sector. Brown's plans seem to be to extend the medical research area into the Jewelry District. It would be more likely probably that we'd see hospital expansion (or partnershops between Brown and the hospitals) in the Jewelry District for lab space and research facilities.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't have any special insight into the situation, but my intuition after working in a Brown fellowship in Lifespan hospitals is that your prediction is more than likely correct. Brown and RIH/Lifespan are really two entirely separate entities, and as with business/academia relations, everything isn't always in synch.

The area around the hospitals will almost certainly be of and for the hosptials, and Brown will almost certainly be looking at the JD. Where there is some overlap between the two, look at it to be like what takes place now in the Coro Building, with a mish-mosh of different Brown/Lifespan functions, divisions, and purposes. But this isn't altruistic. Money changes hands here without much sentiment.

- Garris

PS: Nothing new in this announcement about the Old Stone Bank building purchase from Brown to its community (I have a feeling that big parking garage didn't hurt), but this what we were all sent, in case anyone is interested, especially in the tone and reading between the lines ("located at the foot of College Hill and

convenient to the Jewelry District")...

"Dear Members of the Brown Community,

Recently, the Subcommittee on Strategic Growth recommended and the

Corporation authorized the University to purchase 121 South Main

Street, the former Old Stone Square. This week, we signed a purchase

and sale agreement for the building for a purchase price of $31.5

million with closing anticipated sometime in the fall. The 160,000

gross square foot building, located at the foot of College Hill and

convenient to the Jewelry District, has eleven floors of commercial

space. In the near term, the University will manage the facility as a

fully taxable commercial property and will honor all leases.

This decision was based on the high-quality, flexible space that the

building offers, which the University can easily adapt to meet a range

of space needs over time. In addition, the proximity of the building

to the University's historic campus offers, we believe, an unusual

opportunity for eventual strategic use. Finally, the income generated

by existing lease agreements will help cover the costs of acquiring

and operating the building.

As we implement the Plan for Academic Enrichment, our space

requirements will continue to grow, both on the College Hill campus

and beyond. 121 South Main Street provides the University with the

increased flexibility necessary to meet evolving space needs.

As space becomes available in the building, the Provost's Space

Committee will assess and recommend academic and administrative

programs that might be accommodated by moving into the building.

We expect that this purchase, when accomplished, will provide Brown

with much needed flexibility as we continue to implement the Plan for

Academic Enrichment.

Sincerely,

Ruth J. Simmons"

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have any special insight into the situation, but my intuition after working in a Brown fellowship in Lifespan hospitals is that your prediction is more than likely correct.  Brown and RIH/Lifespan are really two entirely separate entities, and as with business/academia relations, everything isn't always in synch. 

The area around the hospitals will almost certainly be of and for the hosptials, and Brown will almost certainly be looking at the JD.  Where there is some overlap between the two, look at it to be like what takes place now in the Coro Building, with a mish-mosh of different Brown/Lifespan functions, divisions, and purposes.  But this isn't altruistic.  Money changes hands here without much sentiment. 

- Garris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Garris-

As you know New Haven and Yale quite well, can you describe the way Yale has spawned the biotech industry there. I know I drove past Yale New Haven hospital and all of the new biotech buildings, but I couldn't really grasp the physical connection to the rest of the University or the city in general.

That situation was what I was thinking about when I was thinking about RI Hospital, but it may be much different.

thoughts?

I like the Rubics Cube. It's the only "modern" building worth a crap in town.

I once took the elevator up to the top floor, and it was empty. Wear a suit and tell the desk at the top that you're just looking. Maybe go late so it's empty. These are the most incredible conference rooms I've ever seen. Huge floor to ceiling glass on both inner and outer walls, and comedically giant tables. I made myself at home and checked it out, including a 2 man conference at the biggest table. Beautiful view.

• 11 months later...

I don't really think Brown as any plans to skip across Route 95 to RIH, we'll have to wait for that wasteland to be developed by the hospitals and the private sector.

When Brown presented their Master Plan last year, it showed their buildings over ALL of the I-195 land. All f te institutions are coveting that land: RIH, W&I, Brown, etc. But is that what's best for the City? A lot of institutional uses along our waterfront?

Archived