HarborWalk

tombarnes

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't recall the exact projections, but it's high enough that it certainly won't be built at once. The Town of Lost Rabbit is being developed nearby. I think the Duany/ Plater-Zyberk group is involved with this project. It is one of the "new urban villages" sprouting up here and there. I hope it works, but I truly want downtown Jackson to succeed as well.

• 3 months later...

The two mentioned in this thread, HarborWalk and Lost Rabbit are probably the most visible right now. However, Rankin County and the City of Madison are both growing at significant rates. It is hard to get anywhere near Ross Barnett Reservoir right now without seeing new developments springing up.

I was about to refer you to the City of Madison's website but it seems they are experiencing some "technical difficulty". Madison is in the process of developing Madison Square which is essentially a new development near downtown that will be, as the name implies, a new town square development with architecture consistent with the historical areas of downtown.

^That great!

I really need to get over to the Jackson area to check out the new developments.

I was in Brookhaven the other day, and there seemed to be plenty of new developments going up along I-55.

I grew up in Brookhaven and absolutely love that city. Brookhaven has lots of old money, interesting neighborhoods and one of the few remaining "true retail" downtowns in Mississippi.

Will there be a hotel connected with the Madison Square development? I know about the Hilton Garden Inn which will be opening soon in Madison, but I think the city could support another hotel as well.

I am suprised that Madison doesn't have more hotels. I would seem that the average business traveler would be more than happy to trade County Line Road for Madison. I think that the future holds even greater things for Madison. However, it does have a reputation for being one of the hardest cities in the south to get a development plan approved in.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

HarborWalk Developer Shops for Financing Again

The develooper who is building this ambitious project has once again sought financing. The problem here is that he told the world he had financing before-- when he had none. I'd love nothing more than to see this project succeed, but question marks appear everywhere. I'll give it a cautious 50/50.

The Clarion Ledger

was not infrastructure changes already made for the developer (road relocation)? Or was that project separate?

And this has a $ .750 B pricetag. Bad news is if he does not already have financing, liquidity is drying up fast on a national level and according to Trump (interview yesterday) a very large % of projects like these will not be built if the Fed does not cut rates.

But seriously, I know this may seem a little far stretched, but I would kick up this projects chances by 15-20% if the Fed cut rates (not that I am saying they should do such, that is a different forum) because these types of projects (if they are not backed by a large investor such as Metlife, etc) are really the first thing to benefit and lose from such changes.

I hope that my 50/50 chance is not too optimistic. I'd love to see this built, but I have not seen much in the way of progress. I think the idea is great, and the plans are beautiful. Unfortunately, the developer does not appear to have his financial house in order- or at least does not have the financing approved at this time. You may well be right, but I'd love to see this thing get off the drawing boards.

HarborWalk Developer Shops for Financing Again

The develooper who is building this ambitious project has once again sought financing. The problem here is that he told the world he had financing before-- when he had none. I'd love nothing more than to see this project succeed, but question marks appear everywhere. I'll give it a cautious 50/50.

The Clarion Ledger

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Construction Begins at HarborWalk

Construction officially begins today on the first phase of HarborWalk. In truth, work began last Friday, but it's good to see any sort of action taking place on the site. I still wonder whether the Hotel Valencia will make it through the process of design into reality. Something tells me that there may be many changes and adjustments ahead for this ambitious project.

WAPT Channel 16 News

Phase One

Construction began yesterday on Harbor Station which will include restaurants, shops and condos. Three hotels are said to be part of Phase One, but I have yet to see anything official regarding the actual construction of the signature hotel, the Hotel Valencia. It is good to see this project finally getting off the ground after so many fits and starts.

The Clarion Ledger

• 3 months later...

It's A Beginning...I Think....

Construction of the first building at HarborWalk has begun. The building will include a small cafe and could be the start of the first phase of the project. The Hotel Valencia may still be a figment of someone's imagination, but it is good to see that something is being built an the property- however slight at this point.

The Madison County Herald

Archived