Jackson, Mississippi

tombarnes

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tombarnes, the arena in Pearl will not be built - the deal fell through, the guy did not have the finances after all. Considering the flack they caught for requiring the guy to submit financial records and proof of financial backing before demolishing Smith=Wills stadium, the Jackson city council is looking pretty good right about now.

re: the new downtown arena - I know it's relatively small, but for now I believe it's the perfect fit. I'm torn between the locations proposed though. I've always thought the area on Jefferson street at the site of the old city works yard on the bank of the Pearl River would be a great place for an arena. But, that was before the new convention center (serious site work has started in earnest, by the way) and the fabulous Telcom center. Now, I would like to see the arena located in the convention district and in the proximity of the King Ed and Standard Life buildings. The SL bldg will likely be devloped by the King ED developers as soon as the police headquarters are relocated to their nearly complete renovated building. The convention center, telcom center, and arena could all be used in conjunction with some huge gatherings. Plus they say they are close to announcing a new large hotel across the street from the cc and tc.

I'm a hockey fan. a few years ago when we still had our team here (the Jackson Bandits), one of the most fun things I've ever done was when my wife and I took the train trip with other Bandit fans to New Orleans to see the Bandits play New Orleans' team at the New Orleans Arena. with our beautiful Union Station train depot, I can see lot's train passengers coming to town for convention district events, (including hockey). By the way, we lost our team because of the coliseum - no alchohol sales and, get this, no home games during most of January, all of February, and most of March, because of the gigantic Dixie National Rodeo and state high school basketball tournaments during that time.

As for as a larger arena is concerned, I believe that should be a joint effort by the metro area governments, with all entities involved in funding, etc. And I believe the perfect location would be somewhere inside a 1/2 mile circle with the center of the circle at the stack (I55-I20 junction). That is not only close to downtown Jackson but is essentially the center of the state if not the crossroads of the south (Jackson's old nickname).

A perfect area, in my opinion, for that large joint metro arena, is the area just west and north of the "stack" , on the east bank of the Pearl river on highway 80, where currently a trucking company, a truck parts type place, an adult bookstore, and an adult motel/massage parlor are now located. that location is highly visable and horribly underused at present. the land is flat, plenty adequate for a large stand alone arena, and all the parking necessary, on a kind of peninsula between the 'stack' and river.

Edited by spoody

The Pinnacle at Jackson Place

The long-awaited addition to One Jackson Place has been announced. The 39m office tower will be eight stories and is expected to include retail and residential components. The building will be built on wnat is now the front lawn of One Jackson Place.

The Clarion Ledger

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Jackson Police to Return to Headquarters Next Week

The Jackson Police Department will return to its renovated headquarters building next week. This means that the Standard Life Building will soon be available for its planned conversion to condominium use. This is a very positive step for downtown Jackson. I would not expect the renovation to begin until some time next year, or even 2008, but it is in the works.

The Clarion Ledger

Edited by tombarnes

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This will get things moving in downtown Jackson. The Standard Life project will be a good addition to the area as well. I'm very pleased to see this moving forward- at last. David Watkins is truly committed to the successful completion of the King Edward.

Edited by tombarnes

• 3 weeks later...

A Refreshing Voice From the Suburbs

After hearing the many voices of outright hostility from the satellite cities around Jackson, it is a breath of fresh air to see that there are those who realize that these suburban havens would falter without a strong city at their core.

The Madison County Herald

Edited by tombarnes

Belhaven is a pleasant section of the city. You might also consider Fondren, a downtown area which is growing steadily. There are new condos under construction there right now- the Flats at Fondren Place. Are you looking for a house or a condominium?

• 2 weeks later...

Work on the Convention Center to Begin Soon

While preliminary site work has been underway at the convention center site, actual construction is scheduled to begin soon. I'm not convinced that the design for the convention center is the best choice, but this really can't be changed at this point. The convention center will be a catalyst for further development downtown. It's great to see that something is fianlly happening with this long awaited project.

The Clarion Ledger

MORE NEWS ON JACKSON PLACE DEVELOPMENT IN DOWNTOWN JACKSON

QUOTE FROM ARTICLE"Jackson Place will be the finest commercial mixed-use project in Mississippi," said Steve Rogers, president and CEO of Parkway. "The master plan is to create a total environment in which people can live, work, play, invest and benefit. Our excitement about the development of Jackson Place is matched by our belief in the possibilities for positive growth in the downtown area."

MISSISSIPPI BUSINESS JOURNAL

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

Embassy Suites Planned for Ridgeland

An Embassy Suites hotel will be built in Ridgeland. I am curious whether or not this will cause a cancellation of the Embassy Suites projected for the Old Capitol Green development downtown.

The Clarion Ledger

Edited by tombarnes

Having just moved here, I must say Jackson is a beautiful place. The city is beautiful, with lots of old trees and easy to get around. There are a couple of things I wonder about that I'm sure someone on here can answer.

1. There are no large city parks. The state park charges for its use, and after that the parks are all 5 or less acres. There seems to be a lot of land around the Pearl that could make a great park. Its all flood plain anyway, why not make it a park?

2. Crime seems to be way over done here. The large southern city I am from had double the murder rate, 25% violent crime rate and a comparable property crime rate. It seems as though everyone here is scared to death of living here. We have been looked at funny when we have told folks in the suburbs that we decided to move to Jackson. Why are people so scared?

3. There needs to be a central entertainment area. Was there ever one and will there ever be another?