Downtown Signs for Visitors

torgo

The signs to which I am referring are those newer green signs downtown for "CenterCity", "Heartside", etc etc. What do you all think of those? I am on the fence on this one. They look pretty good, but there seems to be an awful lot of them, and to me it seems strange to spend all that money on signs telling people where the arena is while we can barely mow the grass in our city parks due to all the budget problems. I know there are different departments with different budgets and blah blah blah, but I wonder if those signs couldn't have waited a couple of years until the budget expanded a bit. I'm sure there is more to it than what I have presented here, but hopefully this will get the ball rolling...

So what do you all think? Misplaced priorities or smart investment in downtown Grand Rapids?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The signs to which I am referring are those newer green signs downtown for "CenterCity", "Heartside", etc etc.  What do you all think of those?  I am on the fence on this one.  They look pretty good, but there seems to be an awful lot of them, and to me it seems strange to spend all that money on signs telling people where the arena is while we can barely mow the grass in our city parks due to all the budget problems.  I know there are different departments with different budgets and blah blah blah, but I wonder if those signs couldn't have waited a couple of years until the budget expanded a bit.  I'm sure there is more to it than what I have presented here, but hopefully this will get the ball rolling...

So what do you all think?  Misplaced priorities or smart investment in downtown Grand Rapids?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Personally, I like em. My folks, when they come into town, always mention how LARGE and easy to see/read street signs are in GR.

Sorry, a bit off topic.

The signs to which I am referring are those newer green signs downtown for "CenterCity", "Heartside", etc etc.  What do you all think of those?  I am on the fence on this one.  They look pretty good, but there seems to be an awful lot of them, and to me it seems strange to spend all that money on signs telling people where the arena is while we can barely mow the grass in our city parks due to all the budget problems.  I know there are different departments with different budgets and blah blah blah, but I wonder if those signs couldn't have waited a couple of years until the budget expanded a bit.  I'm sure there is more to it than what I have presented here, but hopefully this will get the ball rolling...

So what do you all think?  Misplaced priorities or smart investment in downtown Grand Rapids?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I like em. I've lived here for 26 years, so I know where I'm going, but when I visit other cities for work, and try to go find someting to do afterwork, i have no idea where anything is (and yes I know I could just look at a map). Things like this help navigate the city a little better, and I think make things more "walkable".

I like em.  I've lived here for 26 years, so I know where I'm going, but when I visit other cities for work, and try to go find someting to do afterwork, i have no idea where anything is (and yes I know I could just look at a map).  Things like this help navigate the city a little better, and I think make things more "walkable".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think they're rather festive.

Budgie

I don't know why, but I don't like the fact that downtown GR is referred to as "Center City" on those signs. Why not just call it "downtown"; that's what it is! "Center City" sounds like what they would call the food court at rivertown mall

I don't know why, but I don't like the fact that downtown GR is referred to as "Center City" on those signs.  Why not just call it "downtown"; that's what it is!  "Center City" sounds like what they would call the food court at rivertown mall

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And it is rather unfortunate that they didn't christen the area south of Fulton "SoFu." That would have been cool. Guess they chickened out.

Budgie

Archived