Medical Mile/Michigan Street Developments

joeDowntown

6 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

IIRC, these buildings are just outside the boundaries. 

The look inside to me.  The definition of the Norther border of the preservation district is "Southern property lines of Michigan Street.".
That does suck for the owners, although still makes them perfect rental units given Medical Mile's job density.

Double good for those of us north of MIchigan/I-196 as the museum-zone created by Heritage Hill will push development to the north.

heritage-hill0001.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2020 at 11:34 AM, Raildude's dad said:

I went to Creston Christian 1955-1965, my dad went to Creston Christian when it was located on Leonard across the street from St Alphonsis. The 2-story apartment complex

Same place my in-laws went. But for HS, they went to Creston; it was in walking distance.

• 4 weeks later...

I've always loved this building, but it's probably not the highest/best use of the property with its location next to VAI and the Medical Mile. There's a rendering of a really cool, quite tall flatiron-style building on this site. Would be cool to see the high rise concept reborn. I believe it was Visbeen who did the rendering I saw. No asking price on the listing? Anyone know if there is a price somewhere in the MLS?   https://www.crexi.com/properties/466357/michigan-cornerstone-apartments

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, KCorner said:

I've always loved this building, but it's probably not the highest/best use of the property with its location next to VAI and the Medical Mile. There's a rendering of a really cool, quite tall flatiron-style building on this site. Would be cool to see the high rise concept reborn. I believe it was Visbeen who did the rendering I saw. No asking price on the listing? Anyone know if there is a price somewhere in the MLS?   https://www.crexi.com/properties/466357/michigan-cornerstone-apartments

Very cool looking building!  Will be interesting to see what it goes for.  Also fun to spot one of the prints I sell out in the wild in the dining room photo :) . 

(a version of https://www.greatlakesprintshop.com/product-page/grand-rapids-1868 if you're curious.  #shoplocal ;)  #theholidaysarecomingup)

18 hours ago, KCorner said:

That rendering has always excited me. Height there would be very good for the skyline and density on the north side of downtown would be a huge plus. Get away from the sterile feeling.

• 2 weeks later...

This is (eventually) bad news for Allegan County, but if I was a pharmaceutical company in MI I can't think of any other place I'd rather be. It seems like a shame that the government had to hand over $2 million as part of the deal. This isn't Flint, for Christ's sake.

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2020/10/perrigo-building-448m-headquarters-in-grand-rapids-plans-for-170-new-jobs.html?outputType=amp&__twitter_impression=true

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

(Small news) I noticed the old car wash on Michigan and Eastern has be getting work done to it lately. I was wondering when that would be redeveloped. did some digging and unfortunately all the work is to just turn it into a laundry mat. I know there are already plenty f bars and restaurants on this strip but if I'm being honest I was hoping for another.... or at least better than another laundry mat.      

56 minutes ago, HavingAhoot said:

(Small news) I noticed the old car wash on Michigan and Eastern has be getting work done to it lately. I was wondering when that would be redeveloped. did some digging and unfortunately all the work is to just turn it into a laundry mat. I know there are already plenty f bars and restaurants on this strip but if I'm being honest I was hoping for another.... or at least better than another laundry mat.      

The newer one? Thunder mountain?

I suppose all of the chemical run-off from the car wash doesnt make it a great redevelopment option for much more.

I will be facinated as to how they turn a car wash into one.

I always had fantasized  about starting  a laundromat that had arcade games, study tables, wi-fi, food vending machines, and TVs with movies or sports, for students that need a place to wash clothes, but not the boredom and otherwise unproductive time waiting. 

Likely this one will just be a more stereotypical one. LOL!

16 hours ago, HavingAhoot said:

But will I still be able to wash my dog there???

12 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

I always had fantasized  about starting  a laundromat that had arcade games, study table...

Same.
Think: Tap room in the front, laundry in the back.   Try our Tumble Dry Stout!

It seems like a good location for a laundromat, it is next to a lot of housing.
Laundromats are under appreciated neighborhood assets.

Would not be surprised if this business is temporary.

Edited by whitemice
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

I suppose all of the chemical run-off from the car wash doesnt make it a great redevelopment option for much more.

I will be facinated as to how they turn a car wash into one.

I always had fantasized  about starting  a laundromat that had arcade games, study tables, wi-fi, food vending machines, and TVs with movies or sports, for students that need a place to wash clothes, but not the boredom and otherwise unproductive time waiting. 

Likely this one will just be a more stereotypical one. LOL!

This would be cool. I always have left to run an errand while doing my laundry at College/Michigan. I think this one said it will be an unattended laundry mat