Tallahassee Trivia!

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tallahassee was one of only two Confederate Capitals not captured by the Union Army during the Civil War. The other capital was Austin.

Tallahassee was chosen for state capital of Florida because it was close to the midpoint between the state's two major cities of the time, Pensacola and St. Augustine.

Edited by ironchapman

Thats Pensacola and St. Augustine!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I edited my post because you are pretty much a Tallahassee encyclopedia, but I thought it was Jacksonville, seeing as it was the territorial capital. I thought I read that somewhere.

Edited by ironchapman

actually yes... Tarzan the Original move was filmed in Wakulla Springs, so too was Creature from the Black Lagoon, and Airport 77.

There was once a Law and Order type TV show called Tallahassee 7000 with one of the "Grumpy Old Men" (I believe the one with the droopy cheeks) as a main star.

On the eve of the Civil War, Tallahassee led the state in wealth and population. Confederate soldiers repelled Union troops at the Battle of Natural Bridge in March 1865, earning Tallahassee the distinction of being the only uncaptured Confederate capital east of the Mississippi. The site is now a state park 10 miles from downtown.

During the 17th century, Spaniards established their presence among the Apalachee Indians with the creation of Franciscan missions such as San Luis de Talimali. Skirmishes among European powers resulted in dispersal of Apalachess Indians and destruction of the missions in 1704.

By the end of the 18th century, Creek and Seminole Indians re-populated the area. Today knon as Mission San Luis, a state-owned park minutes from downtown, extensive excavations have been conducted in the 1656 Franciscan church complex, Apalachee council house, Spanish fort, and Spanish and Indian residential areas, many of which have been reconstructed.

Thanks Iron... I was looking for the details on the Christmas deal...

The first Christmas mass celebrated in the United States was held in Tallahassee. Artifacts recently discovered in an excavation of the Hernando de Soto encampment (1539-1540) are the only archaeological evidence of de Soto's expedition in North America.

Early in its existence a terrible fire made ashes of the city and its trees. Locals rebuilt the downtown in brick & stone, instead of wood, and went on a tree planting spree. Legend says they planted several hundred-thousand trees which is likely a reason Tallahassee is now known as a Tree City USA.

Tree City USA is a designation from the Arbor Day Foundation for good Arboring practices and promoting the canopy.  A lot of cities get it.

Do you have any links showing that Tallahassee led the state in population or wealth?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Tree City USA plug wasn't intended to refer to the Arbor Day Foundation, but to the fact that when people think of Tallahassee they normally think of trees trees and more trees.

Sure alot of cities get the Arbor City distinction, it just so happens we were honored yet again this year. But I do appreciate you clearing that up for us all.