U.S. 17 in between Beaufort and Charleston

Charleston native

Slower speeds are always safer, no matter how frustrating it is to the driver.

What is more dangerous are the inconsistent speeds from all motorists along the highway. Passing lanes do help but in the case of US 17 through the 2 lane segment, its not enough.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Slower speeds are always safer, no matter how frustrating it is to the driver.

Hmmm...I disagree completely. How is it safe for an elderly person to be driving 35 mph on a road with a speed limit of 50 while a long line of motorists builds behind the person? The risk for rear-end accidents and chain reactions increases dramatically. It also makes passing more hazardous as the line of cars builds. Think of how faster moving traffic is affected on an interstate with the same situation. Slow does not equal safe, and whoever came up with that logic needs their head examined, IMO. Consideration for others on the highway will always be safer.

To be fair, Spartan said slower speeds (as in speed limits), not slower drivers. Your scenario assumes the latter.

But even then, I would disagree, as the dimensions of the road pretty much determine how fast a person is likely to drive. Residential neighborhoods don't have 4 and 5 lanes of highway in each direction because that would encourage people to drive fast.

• 2 weeks later...

:yahoo: Good news is becoming hard to come by lately, but this is very encouraging. US 17 is evidently on track to be widened. My cynical side of me says that this project is way behind schedule, since it should have been done a decade ago, but I'll set that aside. Once this project is completed, US 17 will finally be a safe, quicker route to US 17. SC transportation officials hope to have the permits this summer to for the project, though it's unclear whether money for the $173 million project will be accessible. The FHA approved plans for US 17, meaning no lengthy environmental impact analysis is needed.

[url="http://www.charleston.net/stories/?newsID=83222

• 2 weeks later...

...In 1992 the budget for widening the road was 28 millon dollars but it was stop by certain groups wanting buffers and the state said in could not afford the project with the buffer issue.

Look at the cost to human life and suffering that may have been prevented if it was widened.

Look at the cost to the S.C. taxpayer 28 million to 200 million in 14 years.

lawsuits were threaten in the early 90's.

I hope these groups and the state infrusture bank can live with themselves for we as citizens will have to live with there decisions...

Indeed, CID2005. History should not be kind at all to the people and organizations (the state legislature and the CCL, for instance) who procrastinated on and interfered with the project when it was supposed to be done in 1992. The lives lost because of their idiocy and foolishness is sickening, to say the least. Think about it, for an investment of 28 million dollars, the state would have saved over $172 million and the lives of about 30 people. Just plain nuts.

For the article on the funding, click on this thread.

Indeed, CID2005. History should not be kind at all to the people and organizations (the state legislature and the CCL, for instance) who procrastinated on and interfered with the project when it was supposed to be done in 1992. The lives lost because of their idiocy and foolishness is sickening, to say the least. Think about it, for an investment of 28 million dollars, the state would have saved over $172 million and the lives of about 30 people. Just plain nuts.

For the article on the funding, click on this thread.

It drive me crazy that everyboby has said that Hwy 17 must be improved, but they will only loan the money

and not grant it .

The DOT is saying they can not pay back the loan and they are considering to drop the project all together.

I am very disappointed in the infrustruture bank for not doing the right thing.

I feel that the bank is now responsable for the future deaths and the inflated cost the road when

the state finally does the widening.

I heard on the news last night that the State of South Carolina as an excess of a 100 million left over

from the budget, well guest what i have the prefect place for it.

This state has such a bad reputation for spending the least amount of money on the roads, yet these idiots do nothing to foster positive change!! It's absolutely disgusting: I read the article in the State this morning about our state's excess money. Why can't these dingbats clue in and make a commitment to building this highway and save lives??!?! :angry: It's times like these that motivate me more to move to Florida.

This state has such a bad reputation for spending the least amount of money on the roads, yet these idiots do nothing to foster positive change!! It's absolutely disgusting: I read the article in the State this morning about our state's excess money. Why can't these dingbats clue in and make a commitment to building this highway and save lives??!?! :angry: It's times like these that motivate me more to move to Florida.

Thats why we should all work to vote out these old timers that we have in the state house these days. I think that the younger generations may be more receptive to good ideas.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have had 2 near accidents myself on this road. One in 2006 returning w/ my grandparents from HH to Mt P, and the other a couple of years earlier, when I was going down it to visit a friend in Beaufort. Any news on when the expansion could possibly be complete. I mean, how many people have died in the last few years even since they started talking again about this horrible stretch of roadway. I'm sorry, I but human safety way over the environment. Get this thing done, and quickly.

Ohioan, I am thankful that you avoided these accidents safely. You have provided yet further evidence that warrants widening of this highway. It really is amazing to me how slow our state is in building safer roads. If this were Florida or Georgia, US 17 would be a six-lane limited access freeway by now!

• 1 month later...

I talked to an inside source of the DOT today, and he said that this project is going to be one of the frontrunner projects for the state to begin very soon. Although he did not give me dates, the department is scheduled to get funding soon and bid on the contractor. He acknowledged that US 17 is a top priority for DOT, and they're determined not to botch it. This is good news...I'm just waiting for the pavement to start being laid. :thumbsup:

I talked to an inside source of the DOT today, and he said that this project is going to be one of the frontrunner projects for the state to begin very soon. Although he did not give me dates, the department is scheduled to get funding soon and bid on the contractor. He acknowledged that US 17 is a top priority for DOT, and they're determined not to botch it. This is good news...I'm just waiting for the pavement to start being laid. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
I drove the highway yesterday, and the widening has begun. I believe they may even save the existing canopy of trees by putting the new lane over about 100 feet, thus leaving a nice, green median. (I'm hopeful that is so--the clearing of trees that I saw was in a swath far to the west of the existing highway.)

Also, a new bridge at the river forming the Beaufort/Colleton County line is well on its way to being done. I was surprised it is so far along that no one mentioned it before.

Archived