113 members have voted

1. 1. Which City has a Better Quality of Life

• Dallas
    • Houston

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

^ & ^^^ OK, you guys have me perplexed, how does the Bay Area remind you of Dallas? Please be specific, to me they are about as disimiliar as it is possible for two places to be. Or by Bay Area do you guys mean the sprawl that lies around Oakland/San Jose? San Fransisco itself seems nothing at all like Dallas, especially in it's urban/planning elements, but also it's people, culture, etc. At one point both were frontier type towns, but that was over a century ago.

^ I agree, I used to live in the Bay Area too and Dallas reminds me of it. Obviously there are no mountains in Dallas though. No ocean either. Mainly the east bay IMO.

Yeah geographically it's not much like it..at all...and there are actually seasons in Dallas :rofl: but the "feel" and pace of the two are sort of similar. I guess the best way I can tell is that I feel "comfortable" when I go there. San Francisco proper of course is not really like anything in Dallas, but most folks in the Bay Area sort of separate SF out from the rest of the Bay Area, anyway. What Dallas reminds me of are the suburbs that ring the bay, which is where I lived (in fact, I've only been to SF about a half dozen times in the 20 years I was there. Going to SF was like an event, or a day or weekend trip). If I don't move back to CA, or get my desert dream home in the southwest, I wouldn't mind living in the Dallas area too much.

• 4 weeks later...

I guess the best way I can tell is that I feel "comfortable" when I go there. San Francisco proper of course is not really like anything in Dallas, but most folks in the Bay Area sort of separate SF out from the rest of the Bay Area, anyway. What Dallas reminds me of are the suburbs that ring the bay

Having first visited San Francisco this August, I'll admit I was scratching my head at the comparison :-) But I see what you're saying, the Metroplex reminds you of the Bay Area. That's more understandable, excluding local topography & climate of course.

To me though, Austin is unquestionably 'the San Francisco' of Texas on so many factors (if you're not analogizing Texas & California city rivalries) - the bohemian reputation, tech industry, not indifferent suburbs.

Have you been to Houston? I lived there 6 years, and miss it still. Your post struck a nerve because "comfortable" is exactly the word I use to describe Houston. Living in the Montrose neighborhood was a lot of fun, I had a funky place in an incredibly well-located neighborhood 3 miles from my job downtown. If you're mainly comparing suburbs to suburbs, well, beyond being rather well-integrated I don't know anything that would make Houston's stand out over Dallas'. I rarely complained about the heat and humidity, and I'd always rather be hot than cold. If you're into the desert, it certainly isn't that - more of the sultry, steamy coastal South, plentiful rain year round with some chilly days in winter. Great trees. Crappy roads. Pretty decently scheduled highway upgrades. Intoxicating architecture. All of the arts. Fascinating museums that put L.A. to shame. Ahead of the curve on zoning (they don't, generating varied and denser multi-use neighborhoods, although it's not radically different.) Excellent downtown, although Dallas' is also well above par. Incredible potential for in-fill development, transit strategy finally taking off.

Even given Dallas' many advantages, circa 2100 I believe Houston will be the more "alpha" of the cities, much larger, more headquarters, buzz, etc. - in the way that Los Angeles long ago became much larger and more 'important' than San Francisco, although of course it didn't start out that way. It's not unlikely they will continue to develop in similar ways. Or by then El Paso could be capital of the solar system, who knows. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, that makes sense...yeah, I suppose the Metroplex is what I meant (I always forget to use that one), though I've spent most of my time there (probably 80%) in Dallas proper, not too much out in the 'burbs ore out towards Ft. Worth.

Anyway, no, I've never been to Houston. I'm at the same time a little reticent and very curious to go there based on what I've heard - some people love the place to bits, to the point where they could never even fathom living anywhere else, while others say it's a dirty, smelly, wholly unpleasant place to be, to the point where I have heard it referred to as the "Armpit of America". Nobody I've talked to has ever said it's "OK", "decent", "reasonably nice", or anything in between. I'm pretty perplexed on what it's like, as I'm not sure I've heard any place that's quite so polarizing. I've head about the lack of zoning, which I've always kind of liked the sound of. I do know I don't want to go there during summer...the heat, as you said, doesn't bother me, but the stifling humidity down on the coast would just kill me. It's barely tolerable for me up here in Tyler as it is. Houston's about a 4 hour drive IIRC, I may go down there sometime and see for myself sometime.

• 3 weeks later...

I love both cities and really admire the "looks" of Dallas over Houston, but city wise, Houston is better IMO. Offers more variety. And if you want to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city, You have great suburbs to escape to: Pearland, Clearlake, Sugarland, and The Woodlands.

• 3 weeks later...

Both. I'm often in Dallas & Houston for leisure and family visits and find both cities to be amazing in every aspect. The only difference is that Houston invests more in its inner-city than Dallas. Drive through 3rd Ward and you'll see that much of 3rd Ward is about as upper-class, if not more so than River Oaks.

• 3 months later...

not completely relevant, but if you are looking for a job it looks like the Dallas Metro is better than Houston... The numbers are so huge does it really matter?

According to US Metro Economics, Dallas Metro ranks 30, and Houston Metro 35.. These rankings include GDP and GMP

untitled232.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

i'm not sure it is trying to be unbiased, I think it is just to see what people like. I am sure people will vote for their own, but also some outsiders may come here and vote. I don't think there are over a 100 people on this forum from Houston and Dallas.

After growing up in a small central Texas town, living in Austin for ten years, Dallas for a very short time, then Houston for the past twenty four years, I can say Houston, hands down. Of course, all of this stuff is very subjective, but I will give example/rebuttal/comment.

Houston doesn't smell bad at all, but I know what they're talking about. Many, many years ago the smell from the various energy related plants along the ship channel blew toward town. That was alleviated generations ago! I assume via plant upgrades.

I agree with the writer about the urbanity of Houston. Not many other cities in the country actually have that feel. Certainly no others in Texas. Houston is much the cosmopolitan city. Not that Dallas isn't, but Houston feels like a bustling charge ahead city. Dallas feels like a small town town that got big.

I've often heard such comments as above that Dallas is much more sophiscticated and high class, etc. ... Houston blue collar. Houston has much more history of heavy industry. That doesn't mean because there's more of that, that there's less of the other. I can tell you for sure that the blue collar population is not responsible for the fact that Houston has the superlative performing and visual arts venues that are truly world class. And to verify that just consult knowledgables outside of the state. Dallas isn't even in the running. The wonderful city of Ft. Worth, thanks to such as the Bass family, has two of the best art museums in the country, yet most PR you get is about Dallas.

The lack of zoning here is only gross in isolated neighborhoods. Not that it's not recognizable in even nice parts of town. And Houston, though humid during the summer, at least gets lots of rain and anyone can have beautiful lawns and landscaping for less cost; and have lots of it. It doesn't burn up here like in San Antonio, Austin, and especially Dallas. Also adding to the greenery year round are pine trees, here being the sourthern most extension of the East Texas pine woods and thicket. Houston is one of the most heavily forrested cities in the country and there are great efforts to make it even more so; not just for esthetics, but also air quality improvement efforts. The city, probably fifteen years ago, passed a commercial landscaping ordinace which seems to have turned into a competition amongst land developers on who can provide the most lush landscaping in their developments. It's just more than you see in other cities. Any new street and highway projects incorporate forestation on esplanades, easments, etc. Not that other cities in Texas don't have and try to do the same thing; it's just that even with irrigation, greenspace and landscaping can take only so much heat without rain. Things tend to burn up even if artificially watered.

And due to the energy industry and the port, the international aspect of the city is far ahead of any other in Texas. And this diversity is another of its great attractions for me.

Not heavily publicized, but the marinas in Clear Lake/ Webster/ League City/Galveston rival any in CA or FL. There is currently a boom in that area.

But we are behind in rail thanks to mayors we've had and especially Tom Delay. Kathy Whitmire, the mayor of the 80s, was very progressive and visionary, but she was defeated in her rail (actually monorail) promotion efforts by the those who were politically ambitious and took advantage of those opposing her efforts, the ignorant, and those with lack of vision.

I agree with the writer about dowtown area. It's in the transition from becoming wonderful to fabulous. Commercial occupancy being at a great low after many years is causing a building boom downtown like we havent seen since the 70s and early 80s. Loft conversions downtown seem to be slowing down, but the dowtown area is becoming hemmed in by a periphery of residential condos, midrises, apartments, etc.

Houston has progressed, evolved, and grown since I've lived here. And this blurb that I read years ago I agree with whole heartedly. Houston is becoming Austinized and Austin is becoming Houstonized.

On line see 002mag.com for a free read of some of what's going on.

I just love it here. The only other city I would make an effort to move to would be Seattle.

After growing up in a small central Texas town, living in Austin for ten years, Dallas for a very short time, then Houston for the past twenty four years, I can say Houston, hands down. Of course, all of this stuff is very subjective, but I will give example/rebuttal/comment.

Houston doesn't smell bad at all, but I know what they're talking about. Many, many years ago the smell from the various energy related plants along the ship channel blew toward town. That was alleviated generations ago! I assume via plant upgrades.

I agree with the writer about the urbanity of Houston. Not many other cities in the country actually have that feel. Certainly none others in Texas. Houston is much the cosmopolitan city. Not that Dallas isn't, but Houston feels like a bustling charge ahead city. Dallas feels like a small town town that got big.

I've often heard such comments as above that Dallas is much more sophiscticated and high class, etc. ... Houston blue collar. Houston has much more history of heavy industry. That doesn't mean because there's more of that that there's less of the other. I can tall you that the blue collar population doesn't account for the fact that Houston has the superlative performing and visual arts venues that are truly world class. And to verify that just consult knowledgables out side of the state. Dallas isn't even in the running. The wonderful city of Ft. Worth, thanks to the Bass family, has two of the best art museums in the country, yet most PR you get is about Dallas.

The lack of zoning here is only gross in isolated neighborhoods. Not that it's not recognizable in even nice parts of town. But Houston, though humid during the summer, at least gets lots of rain and anyone can have beautiful lawns and landscaping for less cost; and have lots of it. It doesn't burn up here like San Antonio, Austin, and especially Dallas. Also adding to the greenery year round are pine trees, here being the sourthern most extension of the East Texas pine woods and thicket. Houston is one of the most heavily forrested cities in the country and there are great efforts to make it even more so; not just for esthetics, but also air quality improvement efforts. The city, probably fifteen years ago, passed a commercial landscaping ordinace which seems to have turned into a competition amongst land developers on who can provide the most lush landscaping in their developments. It's just more than you see in other cities. Any new street and highway projects incorporate forestation on esplanades, easments, etc.

And due to the energy industry and the port, the international aspect of the city is far ahead of any other in Texas. And this diversity is another of its great attractions for me.

Not heavily publicized, but the marinas in Clear Lake/ Webster/ League City/Galveston rival any in CA or FL. There is currently a boom in that area.

But we are behind in rail thanks to mayors we've had and especially Tom Delay. Kathy Whitmire, the mayor of the 80s, was very progressive and visionary, but she was defeated in her rail (actually monorail) promotion efforts by the those politically ambitious that took advantage of the opposition to her efforts, the ignorant, those with lack of vision.

I agree with the writer about dowtown area. It's in the transition from becoming wonderful to fabulous. Commercial occupancy being at a great low after many years is causing a building boom downtown like we havent seen since the 70s and early 80s.

I just love it here. The only other city I would make an effort to move to would be Seattle.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

quality of life depends on so much more than this....how close you are to family and friends, your job, your housing conditions, and your economic status.

It's too hard to say "which is better". I have spent time in Houston and Dallas and I can say that they both have big drawbacks not specific to them including crime, major traffic issues, mass sprawl, and cleanliness.

However, and this is one of the most important things, both cities are growing rapidly with amazing upward mobility. You can have a lives' worth of careers in either city with numerous organizations.

I choose not to vote.

• 1 month later...

Dallas because when you think of Pro Texas Football, u think of The Dallas Cowboys and that team down in Houston.

Houston is to hard to get around, one street has 6 names in one mile stretch, cant handle a Six Flags and is in reach of being hit by Hurricanes.

quality of life depends on so much more than this....how close you are to family and friends, your job, your housing conditions, and your economic status.

It's too hard to say "which is better". I have spent time in Houston and Dallas and I can say that they both have big drawbacks not specific to them including crime, major traffic issues, mass sprawl, and cleanliness.

However, and this is one of the most important things, both cities are growing rapidly with amazing upward mobility. You can have a lives' worth of careers in either city with numerous organizations.

I choose not to vote.

• 5 months later...

WOW I first have to credit the Urban Planet forumers for being able to have this discussion without drawing blood. Unlike some OTHER forums I am formerly associated with.

I am originally from Little Rock Arkansas, which for all intensive purposes is like the "kid brother" of Dallas. The sharing of I-30 forms a pipeline of culture, ideas, and wants between Arkansans and North Texans. Because of this, I grew up inundated by Dallas culture... Six Flags, Cowboys, the awesome Texas economy... oh yeah, and there was that one little television show. I can confidently say that I wasn't even aware of Houston's existence until I was in high school.... I saw this big blob on a road map, and it wasn't San Antonio, Austin, or the Metroplex.

The D/FW embodies so much of what is Texan, and what is truly American... the heartland, the smell of success, glitz and glamour, and a wonderful, independent spirit. These are the aspects I love about Dallas and all of Texas. I spent one great summer living in Arlington, and I got to experience the Big D in every way possible.

But as a matter of preference, I'm a Houstonian. This city shares that successful attitude with Dallas, and a similar successful economy, but it's the edgier, grittier side that appeals to me here. It's mind boggling that a town can be so close knit while having such ridiculous amounts of diversity. The social schedule within a year will leave you going crazy... THE Rodeo, Art Car Parade, Houston Pride, The Houston International Festival, Galveston Mardi Gras, Dickens on the Strand, and yeah so so so much more. I mean what do you say to a city that is red-blooded country western town, home for world-class opera and ballet companies AND a true mecca for Southern Hip-Hop. It boggles my mind that we seem to keep all of this cool stuff as a secret from the rest of the country. If you're not aware, come down for three days... spend one in the inner city area (Montrose, downtown, Galleria), one in the southeast (Clear Lake, Galveston), and one in the Southwest (chinatown, Sugar Land).

At the end of the day, Texas is a very fortunate state to have such pehnomenal urban areas.... Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, Fort Worth, Austin and El Paso have all defined themselves differently. But together, they make a very powerful force within the state, and our country.

There's my one-sided and biased opinion ;)

I'm in Houston every weekend/every other weekend and when I'm there, there's always something to do. I rock with Dallas just the same and they get down in their own way. I have love for Dallas & Houston due to family & friends that reside there. I remember Houston's infamous Northside/Southside rivalry like it was yesterday. Southsiders were being robbed & killed/shot by Northsiders so Southside retaliated. Houston has the whole syrup culture going on which started in the 90s.

Archived