building story comparisons

this is information that i have run into on the net, which i found interesting. adding up all of the building stories (well, floors, actually, to split hairs), you come up with the following totals for all structures over 7-floors in manchester, portland, nashua, bangor, auburn, lewiston, concord, and burlington.

portland: 278

manchester: 194

bangor: 46

burlington: 42

nashua: 39

concord: 22

south portland: 17

rutland: 17

auburn: 14

lewiston: 7

portsmouth: 0

this does nto include approved, proposed, or currently under construction strucutres.

hope at least somebody finds this as interesting as I do.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What did you use as your main source for this? I'd love to do a Southern New England list (Providence, Hartford, New Haven, Worcester, Springfield, Bridgeport, Fall River...).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i was arguing with my dad about how much development was here and there and so forth and so we decided to do a comparison using skyscrapers.com. it was relatively easy to add them all together for northern new england cities given that they are so small...but i imag2ine doing the same for hartford and boston etc. would be very time consuming. all in all it took about 5 - 7 minutes. southern new england would take a few days and lots of patience... :wacko:

ah what the hell, im not going anywhere for a few hours...ill see if i can do a few, wow, is this really how i am spending my saturday? of well. here goes nothing:

providence: 631

new haven: 595

worcester" 548

springfield" 355

bridgeport: 351

fall river: 116

maybe i will do hartford if i have time, but it has something like 50 buildings over 15 stories so it would be time consuming. i dont think boston is worth the while, maybe i can convince my little sister to do it for me lol

I looked at both of your stats and checked it out myself at skyscrapers.com (the same place you went). It's funny becuase I came up with different results and I dont know why. I double checked also.

Starting from the most-

Cambridge, MA- 809 floors of buildings 7 floors and up

Providence, RI- 422 floors " "

Springfield, MA- 311 floors " "

Worcester, MA- 271 floors " "

Manchester, NH- 119 floors " "

Portland, ME- 107 floors " "

Fall River, MA- 102 floors " "

Bangor, Lewiston, and Augusta all had 0 floors " "

I couldn't help but add in some of the proposed and under construction projects to Providence's numbers:

Current = 631

GTECH = 12

Knight Street Condos = 10

Waterplace 1 = 16

Waterplace 2 = 19

Hilton Residences = 27

Fogarty Bldg. Hotel = 13

"Atwells Site" = 25

OneTen Westminster = 36

55 Broadway = 27

Waterford Residences = 31

Total = 847

red = in-progess

This is just a funny fact-

The John Hancock and prudential building together equal 112 floors,

That is 5 more floors than the whole town of Portland added together (7 stories and up)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wouldn't expect any less from 2 super-scrapers like the Pru and the Hancock :)

Interesting thread I must say.

I looked at both of your stats and checked it out myself at skyscrapers.com (the same place you went). It's funny becuase I came up with different results and I dont know why. I double checked also.

Starting from the most-

Cambridge, MA- 809 floors of buildings 7 floors and up

Providence, RI- 422 floors  "                                            "

Springfield, MA- 311 floors    "                                            "

Worcester, MA- 271 floors    "                                          "

Manchester, NH- 119 floors    "                                            "

Portland, ME-    107 floors    "                                            "

Fall River, MA-  102 floors    "                                          "

Bangor, Lewiston, and Augusta all had 0 floors    "                  "

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well thank you for double checking, but i think i found where the discrepencies are coming from in our counts: you say you checked for all buildings 7-stories and up, but what it appears you really did was just count the stories listed under the high-rise section on skyscrapers.com. for this, portland sums up exactly to 107 floors. you are right. but i said all buildings 7-stories and higher. so this means that you need to sum all of the high-rises, and then sum all of the low-rises (found in a separate location on the website under "other buildings") and put the two together. under portlands low-rise category there are at least five 10-story buildings and a few 11-stories listed. put them all together and you have 278 total for all buildings over 7-stories. if this is not what i came up with the first time around, then it ought to be close (remember i was doing this by eye and it is easy to miscalculate sometimes). but you should remember to check both cetegories and add them together, that is why i said all buildiings over 7-stories, because there is no way portland would beat oout manchester just in terms of high rises, it doesnt even have a 20-story yet and manch has 2 or 3 i think. it is only when you include all of the smaller structures that portland stands out. double check me again if you wish.

This is just a funny fact-

The John Hancock and prudential building together equal 112 floors,

That is 5 more floors than the whole town of Portland added together (7 stories and up)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well boston itself is 9-times the size of portland. comparing the two metro regions, the size difference becomes even greater. and as i showed before, your calculations were off, so added together, these two boston skyscrapers actually have 166 floors less than the whole town of portland added together (7-stories and up)

Portland having more 7 plus story buildings than Manchester dosnt suprise, Portland has a much fuller look, Manchester reminds me of the John hancock and prudential in Boston, the way that there kind of off by them selfs.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i know exactly what you mean, although, sometimes i must admit, i wish portland had a building or two that looked out of place, just so that we could fill in the blank area around them...we need more height!!

Archived