Wilmington NC

ncguy06

Im Planning to attend UNCW for college. What do you guys think about the city. I think it looks beautiful in all the pics ive seen. I went there once to visit the NC Battleship, but I dont remember much about the city itself. Have any of you visited or have any comments about the city? Some pics would be nice too :)

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember going up through Wilmington maybe nine years ago, but vaguelty remember the downtown area. The only things I saw up there were the USS North Carolina and a then-active/now-defunct Hannaford's. It would be nice to travel up there again just to take in the scenery.

The film industry has pumped a lot of money into the economy and Wilmington seems to be ever-changing. Last time I was down there (last summer) I loved it... Seemed so different than it was the last time I spent time there (1998?).

With the Cape Fear skyway proposal, passenger rail, port improvements, continued film presence, and more regional cooperation, I suspect Wilmington is becoming NC's new rising star. <- Wow that was cheesey sounding. Well at any rate, I really like the place and can't wait to watch it grow into a bigger city.

My brother just graduated from UNCW and we always go down there once or twice a year. Downtown and some outskirts are really nice, but from I-40 to downtown just sucks. Lots of trafffic, pollution, strip malls, and run-down buildings. Around Wrightsville and the far east side of Wilmington are nice especially Wrightsville beach and this new shopping complex that looks like North Hills here in Raleigh and Birkdale Village outside Charlotte.

In downtown, there are mostly old buildings that house nice stores near and in the Cotton Exchange and along the waterfront. There are also really nice restaurants in downtown. It is really a nice downtown that is comparable to Asheville's minus the skyscrapers, but with an urbanist feel.

Good luck at UNCW. It is a great school with a great atmosphere.

Wilmington is quite an interesting town. Everything you need in a city but with a laid back attitude of a coastal town. The area towards Wrightsville Beach is one of the most exclusive in the area.

Indeed, Wilmington has areas that are in decline, areas South on Market Street towards downtown, but with the booming population in the area hopefully they can rebound.

There are great restuarants, enjoyable clubs, and other activities to do to keep most people occupied. If I had to pick a coastal town to live in, Wilmington would be close to the top!

I lived there from summer of '99 until spring of 2002, and after living there I sort of have a different perspective. I continue to love visiting Wilmington but I would never actually move back there for a few reasons.

1. Traffic Sucks....especially during the summer and rush hour....and remember there are no highways/interstates for people to jump on within Wilmington, only city streets full of oddly timed stoplights and a million tourists who don't know where the hell they are going

2. Isolation....maybe I'm just 2 used to the Triangle...having all of these cities and towns within a short distance but when you live in Wilmington you have a handful of small towns under 10,000 people within 30 miles and that's it. If you drive a little over an hour you have North Myrtle Beach, 2 hours you have Raleigh...I kind of got stir crazy there.....

3. Jobs....well I remember the job situation sucked for anything but minimum wage temporary college type jobs. This was even before the economic downfall started. Plus you don't get paid as much as other parts of the state either....and rent difference isn't much.

There is ghetto in Wilmington too...it's just kind of tucked away from the prime tourist destinations....

But aside from that it is a fun place. I have great memories of downtown on weekends, plays/shows at Thalian Hall and Level 5, the beach at night off season when you and your friends are about the only ppl around, aside from couples making out in the dunes, and, of course memories of some really good parties.

As far as living there goes I guess Wilmington is best for either the senior citizens or the young who are college age and ready to party. It's kind of iffy for those people in between....

• 3 weeks later...

Ok i just got back from a weekend Wilmington trip and well.....That place rocks! The downtown is so amazing, no it's not filled with skyscrapers but its so historical. All the old victorian style houses and giant 100 year old churches. To me it seemed a lot like Charleston on a smaller scale. And there were so many people on the streets even on a Tuesday evening. Most were probably tourists but it added to the vibe. The charming shops and waterfront restaraunts were VERY cool. We even got to see One Tree Hill being filmed and all the people on the streets watching and having a good time. I also had the best vanilla frappuccinno ive ever had in my life. I would definitley say that Wilmington is worth the visit, especially it's downtown.

• 3 weeks later...

Wilmington, NC

P8291815.jpg

P8291811.jpg

Downtown Wilmington is nice, and the water front is so much better now than when I lived near there in 50's. There were old warehouses on the waterfront,

and it did not look very good.

They have art events downtown on Water Street. I picked up some nice art here a few years ago. Nice places to eat here on the river front.

I remember when those condos/apartments were being built. No one really wanted them there, but they were built. Lots of controversy because of it. Personally that is what i think Wilmington needs, more mid-rises. Maybe not waterfront but towards the community college and the conference center would be a perfect spot for 8-10 story mid-rises. Not too many though, maybe three would do for me. they have a great downtown retail scene, so there is some support for downtown living.

In my last couple of post I have been giving Wilmington a lot of press. I think it is one of the Carolinas all around cities. It has history, plentiful jobs, a local beach, and a vibrant downtown. In the near furture it will challenge Fayetteville for the 5th or sixth spot for population. All it needs is more interstate access and Wilmington will really take off.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember when they were building that condo building too, people didn't want it, as if that parking deck that was falling apart was so much better. Btw I worked at the old BB-55 :-p a few yrs back, I got to see that view every day...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was on BB-55 when they towed it up the Cape Fear River.

Got on it at South Port where the Cape Fear goes into the ocean.

• 1 year later...

Archived