Growth & Future of Providence

Frankie811

I don't believe that he has to be a member or active participant in the process to make his feelings and desires on the issue known and considered. But of course I'm just speculating.

But, if having a 15 member council is supposed to put the coucilors closer to their constituents, I'm not seeing it. I've met the mayor many more times than I've even seen my councilor, and the mayor usually remembers me when we meet (I don't know how, but he does).

He may have spoken during the debate,(can't recall specifically) but he was not driving the issue. In fact, the committee had passed over the Review Commission's proposal without any discussion (term limits for both) until Councilman Hasset raised it. Following discussion it was amended to just apply to the Mayor and passed (w/ Hassett voting against - I think, little fuzzy on that point).

As to the arguments raised at the hearing, there is one that I failed to mention. Sort of a meta-argument. When you are considering these structural changes in city government you should not evaluate them with just the present office holder in mind (even if, or perhaps especially if, you like him). You have to ask yourself 1) whether it is a good idea in the abstract and 2) whether it is a good idea in light of the city's history and experience (especially of recent vintage).

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The future of Providence depends on a healthy retail environment. However, having the 3rd highest commercial property tax burden in the country combined with rising real estate prices and high rents make this a challenge.

On one hand, we wonder why we can't find the right retail mix. On the other hand, we wonder how entrepreneurs can open a business with these high costs.

Liamlunchtray - Despite these high costs, your friend Rachel decided to open a brick and mortar store in Wayland Square. Presumably, she could have chosen to continue along the online route (in viewing the high quality of her website, I'm sure she would have had good success). I think it would provide valuable insight to the forum if you might possibly share your friend

• 1 month later...

Archived