New to this Forum: Moving to GR

BostonianinGR

GR is not a city of walkers or of people who are willing to use public trasportation in large numbers.
The image of our public transportation needs some altering. The perception of buses is that they are for the urban poor who have no other alternative. By and large -- perhaps with the exception of the DASH system -- this is true. So, for the people with other options, the idea of using public transportation never even enters the equation. I know plenty of people who don't even realize it's there.

To really encourage people from the suburbs to travel dt for shopping dt needs stores not found in the suburbs, with the Apple store being a missed opportunity.

Exactly. Woodland must've done quite a bit of persuasion to get Apple there. Talk about a destination store -- I know people who came all the way from Kalamazoo, Battle Creek, and Traverse City just to see the new store! What if that had been downtown instead?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most of us in Grand Rapids know that Amway is a scam. We don't need schemers and crooks running the state,

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Speak for yourself. Do a little legitimate research and you'll find that Alticor is one of the most respected businesses in the world. You don't have to look much farther than the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. The elder VanAndel served as chaiman of the U.S. COC and his son, Steve, current President of Alticor, served as chaiman of the US Chamber several years ago. This is the most repected position for a business man in the WORLD! They are the only father and son combination ever to serve in this position. They are elected to this position by business leaders across the country.

While serving his term, Steve travelled over 40,000 miles teaching other countries how we do business here in America.

Alticor is the 19th largest privately owned company in the country and one of only two in that list that are debt free.

That's solid business. This isn't a fly-by-night deal run by schemers and crooks. Just ask the Federal Trade Commision who ruled in the 70's that not only is their compensation plan legitimate, it is THE MODEL TO FOLLOW for other multi-level companies. 100's of thousands of people are better off worldwide because of a company started here in G.R. Be proud of that.

Keep in mind...it is a fact that there are or where distributors out there who have run their business in a shady way. These distributors are totally independent of Alticor and run their business how they see fit. Alticor simply provides them with their product just like Gordon Food Service provides many different restauraunts, some good, some bad, with their products.

Say what you want about an independent distributor but you'd have a hard time finding any legitimate facts to back up a statement about Alticor being run by schemers and crooks.

Sorry to get off topic but I have to correct falsehoods when I hear them!

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed. Quite a coup indeed. I read that Woodland is adding 25 new stores this year. It looks like they must be kicking a lot of existing stores out in favor of destination type stores.

While Woodland isn't as busy as Rivertown, I hear that Woodland still kicks its ass in $$$ per sq. foot.

Exactly.  Woodland must've done quite a bit of persuasion to get Apple there.  Talk about a destination store -- I know people who came all the way from Kalamazoo, Battle Creek, and Traverse City just to see the new store!  What if that had been downtown instead?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed. Quite a coup indeed. I read that Woodland is adding 25 new stores this year. It looks like they must be kicking a lot of existing stores out in favor of destination type stores.

While Woodland isn't as busy as Rivertown, I hear that Woodland still kicks its ass in $$$ per sq. foot.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I had to go to Verizon to get a new cell phone battery, and the new Cinemark Theatre going up has made a mess of the parking lot there :P I'm interested to see how the new Breton Village looks when it is finished, and Jade Pig's shopping area in East Grand Rapids connected to the new condos.

And although not "urban" like we would all like, it looks like Grand Rapids Township has approved the Village of Orchard Hills at 3 Mile/Beltline by Robert Aikens & Associates to the next step, which they usually draw high end retailers to their projects (if you like to shop ;) )

im just trying to picture where such a system could be built.

I wounld imagine with the wide spaces inbetween traffic on I-96, and most of 131 (until you hit the junction) Lightrail could be built there. But as for getting into town, 131 would have to be ripped apart in the middle, or be elevated.

I would love to see light rail (especially if it came up to Walker City Hall, and Alpine Ave.) in GR, but man it just seems like it would be a huge expense. Where would the stops be?

I can probably think of 20 or so, but would we need more? is that too many?

some potential spots I can think of:

In Downtown:

In front of Devos Convention Center (for the Hotels, and the convention center)

By Van Andel Arena on Ionia Ave. (for VAA)

Inside Bostick Commons at GRCC (easy to access the library, the school, and other functions of the area)

On Fulton by GVSU (For access oto the new Y, the GVSU campus, and the nearby residential properties)

On Michigan Ave by the hospital.

Up to Bridge Street by Bridgewater Place, (River House), and Union Square.

Outside DT area:

Lake Michigan Drive at Wilson (with a parking ramp for any GVSU students from

Rememberance Road at Wilson

Allendale heading to DT GVSU campus

East Beltline by Knapp

28th Street at East Paris

28th @ Wilson

44th Street at Division

44th at Wilson

Northland Drive

Somewhere along the South Beltline (I gotta be honest, I dont travel it ever.)

Blodgett Hospital

Thats all I can think of, IM sure more of you wuld have better places :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

According to the Long Range public transportation plan, light rail would use the existing conrail right of way and the line would head southeast toward kentwood. they also talk a little about a commuter rail to holland following the 196 right of way. i think that stuff is a long way off though.

Archived