Putt-Putt's DEMISE!

mediamongrel

I used to go to the Putt Putt off Roxboro Road in Durham...I think the last time I noticed it being open was maybe 1999. Last time I drove by there, about 6 months ago (don't head out to that part of Durham much anymore) it was still there, all closed and abandoned, twas sad....

As for Dunkin Donuts up in MA...I lived there for a yr and a 1/2 and o m g they r everywhere. Seems like every other gas station has one in it!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish Putt-Putt would come back. The one here in Winston-Salem was abandoned many years ago, however the facility, along with the course is still there, just needing to be cleaned up and put back to use. It's right across from Hanes Mall and near I-40 and Hanes Mall Blvd. Eckerd was going to raze it and build a store, but that fell thru.

• 4 weeks later...

Drove by the 'ol Putt Putt on Stratford Road in Winston-Salem this weekend and was surprised to see activity on clearing out trash, weeds, and trimming back the overgrown landscaping.

Noticed there was a sign that "Adventure Landing" is taking over the old spot. It will be nice to see that facility used again as a family entertainment venue!

Time to break out the putter! :D

Hey, didn't catch the Dunkin' Donuts/Baskin Robbins theme in the string, there is a new one here in Winston-Salem right off I-40 at the Peter's Creek exit. It stays super busy! Luv those munchkins! :wub:

I remember knowing two Putt-Putt's in upstate South Carolina with locations in Greenville and Spartanburg.

The one in Greenville, located on US 29, was the first to falter because it had no room to expand. was unable to remodel the place, and was poorly run. It was razed a couple years ago to make way for a hotel, Savannah Suites, and a small strip center.

The one in Spartanburg was located on SC 296 close to the Wynsong cinema complex. It has been a few months since I driven past there, and the building was still up. I assume it is closed noting new and larger fun parks located on SC 295 and Heron Circle.

I'll have to go get some pictures if that one is still standing. Was there grass growing throughout the course? Are all the metal animals still there?

And where is that off of Route 85? Which exit is Rt. 296?

That Spartanburg is in a popular location because another one in NC had just closed last year not far from there up 221 after going past Shelby on Hwy 74 west.

Drove by the 'ol Putt Putt on Stratford Road in Winston-Salem this weekend and was surprised to see activity on clearing out trash, weeds, and trimming back the overgrown landscaping. 

Noticed there was a sign that "Adventure Landing" is taking over the old spot.  It will be nice to see that facility used again as a family entertainment venue!

Time to break out the putter! :D

i went to an Adventure Landing in Jacksonville...this will be good for W-S. too bad there isnt that much space for a full fledged park...(go-carts, batting cages, mega arcade.) the paper mentioned it today but more details will be released later this week.

http://www.adventurelanding.com

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think I saw a listing of the remaining Putt-Putts in NC:

Asheboro

1842 S Fayetteville Street

336-629-9690

Burlington

1340 N Church Street

336-228-6217

Goldsboro

3003 Cashwell Drive

919-751-2706

Hickory

4th Street SW

828-327-2316

High Point

2418 N Main Street

336-869-4273

Raleigh

4020 Tryon Road

919-832-2222

White Lake

1608 White Lake Drive

910-862-4064

Wilson

418 Ward Blvd.

252-237-6225

I can't believe all of the Putt-Putts in Charlotte closed. They were so much fun.  Remember the orange roofs and sidewalls?  I guess the multi-attraction places like Celebration Station won out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Indeed. But you can still go to two of them oh Hwy 150 at Lake Norman. One at Queen's Landing complete with a volcano beltching flames, and an older one at Sherrills Ford complete with the orange roofs and sidewalls.

• 1 month later...

I wonder if they are planning to turn the Putt-Putt Golf & Games in Spartanburg into one of their new "Fun Centers". International Pavilion/Fun-Bee's (later Funwerks, now 295 Fun Park) is, in my opinion, not well ran. We also have Blessed Fun at Funtasia, a Christian fun park (formerly Mountasia/Fun-tasia/Funwerks). I would like to see this or something big like Frankie's/Celebration Station or Adventure Landing land in Spartanburg. Possibly one on the westside, one on the eastside, and maybe one in Boiling Springs also.

hardcoreputter

Most of the putt-putt's in the New Orleans area were closed down.

Here they lost out to the new Six Flags(which is now most likely destroyed) and the multi-attraction places like you guys have been saying.

Many off the putt-putt's in the N.O. metro were turned into multi-attraction venues or were taken into different ownership.

I really liked Putt-Putt, I hated to see all of them go.

Putt Putt has the potential to improve their facilities. The one in Spartanburg, SC has no further room for expansion. I doubt they will relocate it. Closing it is not uncommon down here.

Frankie's Fun Park shut down their competition since they entered Greenville. Golden Park survived because of the bowling alley and roller skating rink. Taylors' Tropical Island gave up in a successful location and closed; it is now a Southern Baptist facility.

I would like to see Anderson (SC), Asheville, and Spartanburg (SC) receive a Frankie's Fun Park.

Putt Putt has the potential to improve their facilities.  The one in Spartanburg, SC has no further room for expansion.  I doubt they will relocate it.  Closing it is not uncommon down here.

Frankie's Fun Park shut down their competition since they entered Greenville.  Golden Park survived because of the bowling alley and roller skating rink.  Taylors' Tropical Island gave up in a successful location and closed; it is now a Southern Baptist facility.

I would like to see Anderson (SC), Asheville, and Spartanburg (SC) receive a Frankie's Fun Park.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Amen to that! They should demolish the old Best Buy on the westside of Spartanburg and put a Frankie's there. Another good location might be off of E. Blackstock just before you get to the Spartan 16 cineplex and Westgate Mall (there is a lot of land available out there). Also the eastside could use a fun-park as well, maybe a different one from Frankie's (Celebration Station, Adventure Landing) for variety. If this happens, I wouldn't be surprised to see Boiling Springs get something similar as well. I live on the westside but I would go to all of them at least once.

The best chance of seeing a fun park in the Spartanburg area is nearby Westgate Mall. Spartanburg's eastside has no direct Interstate access. Boiling Springs is a few miles off 85, but SC 9 has its woes.

I would like to see Greenville's Frankie's get some new features: Spider Web, Sky Glider, Drop Zone, rock climbing wall, etc. Hopefully their next idea is some coaster.

Archived