St. Johns Town Center

vladittude0583

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dillard's already has a store at St. Johns Town Center; it opened in the spring of 2005 in phase one. I've seen it for myself the last few times I went to Jacksonville when I still considered it as a place to relocate to.

If Nordstrom ever comes, it won't be anytime soon. When Nordstrom now announces a new store opening, it's several years ahead of time. The most recent new store openings Nordstrom announced were for the Minneapolis metro area in the fall of 2011 and the Birmingham metro area in the spring of 2012. I still wouldn't rule it out someday.

Nashville still does not have a luxury department store; land and space are very limited. Just like Jacksonville, Nashville residents are vying for a luxury department store.

I'm sorry by why is it that Birmingham has Saks and now Nordstrom?? Birmingham is no bigger than Jacksonville or Nashville. How are they able to support all of that? I mean, it's Alabama for crying out loud.

I'm sorry by why is it that Birmingham has Saks and now Nordstrom?? Birmingham is no bigger than Jacksonville or Nashville. How are they able to support all of that? I mean, it's Alabama for crying out loud.

It probably has more to do with the fact that they are Alabama's largest metro. There are a million in Birmingham's metro.

That's because most residents in the Greater Birmingham area has been ranked ahead of even Atlanta in the growth of its personal wealth since 1990. It has a lot more wealth than you guy believe, so don't assume we are some pundunk with nothing there. Nordstrom has been eyeing the Birmingham market since 1997, and that was confirmed by General Growth when they announced the store.

That's because most residents in the Greater Birmingham area has been ranked ahead of even Atlanta in the growth of its personal wealth since 1990. It has a lot more wealth than you guy believe, so don't assume we are some pundunk with nothing there. Nordstrom has been eyeing the Birmingham market since 1997, and that was confirmed by General Growth when they announced the store.

I have to agree. Birmingham has more white collar workers while Jacksonville has more blue collar workers, which don't shop at high end department stores. It has more money in the market.

Take a look at some of Birmingham's southern/ Mountain suburbs. Especially the following: Hoover, Mountain Brook, Homewood, and Vestavia Hills. Homewood alone is one of, if not the wealthiest city in Alabama, many of the top execs in Metro B'ham live there.

More so than San Marco, Ponte Vedra, areas of Mandarin and Amelia Island?

Lets not devolve this into a contest between Jacksonville and Birmingham. Jacksonville has an obscene amount of money, and if you've ever been to the beaches, you will see this is true. Not to mention the old money parts of town like San Marco and Mandarin. The question I have is what portion of the homes in Jax are second homes? I assume this is common in Jacksonville.

• 2 months later...

Question about the new Capital Grille:

It has been brought to my attention that Darden has opened a Capital Grille in Jacksonville to go along with the other locations in Miami, Fort. Lauderdale, Tampa, Orlando, and soon Palm Beach. Has anyone had a chance to visit this restaurant? If so, what did you think of the experience (service, quality of food, price), and would you recommend it to a visitor?

Thanks! :hi:

Ground work has started on the empty lot across from Louis Vuitton, and across the street from Kate Spade. I don't know if it will be the anticipated Crate & Barrel that was supposed to occupy the lot, or something else. They havn't posted any tenant signs. I guess we'll see. I'll keep you updated.

Ground work has started on the empty lot across from Louis Vuitton, and across the street from Kate Spade. I don't know if it will be the anticipated Crate & Barrel that was supposed to occupy the lot, or something else. They havn't posted any tenant signs. I guess we'll see. I'll keep you updated.

I talked to a store employee at the Millenia store and the next Florida opening will be in Tampa in Spring 2009 which would push back any Jacksonville opening till 2010 at the earliest, since as she said that are very particular where they open as to make sure that the store would stay profitable. With that in mind, I don't see much in the Pipeline for any major malls opening up in 2010/2011 which would lead me to believe that Jacksonville will not be getting a Crate and Barrel store at SJTC, since all space will be taken by that time. The only viable option I see is a stand-alone at The Avenues. I don't see them opening up at Avenues Walk, since most of that (since good ole Wally World is there!) is comprised of lower mid end stores, which Crate and Barrel has never been a neighbor of. This is just what my logic has come up with!

Sometimes I just don't understand the world of retail. Crate & Barrel has 2 stores within 5 miles of each other in Atlanta (Lenox and Perimeter Malls) and another one just up the road in Alpharetta. 3 stores in North Atlanta alone - and Jax can't get just ONE?

Strange.

Sometimes I just don't understand the world of retail. Crate & Barrel has 2 stores within 5 miles of each other in Atlanta (Lenox and Perimeter Malls) and another one just up the road in Alpharetta. 3 stores in North Atlanta alone - and Jax can't get just ONE?

Strange.

I'll say amen to that!

A few pics I snapped with my Blackberry last night:

lacosteqe3.png

true2hq7.png

yogaberry2lg5.png

... Someone posted on the City-Data Jacksonville Forum that the new building under construction across from Louis Vuitton will house Tiffany & Co, Calvin Klein, and one other unnamed tennant. I don't know how much truth there is to that. I personally have not seen any news of that, but I guess we'll see?

I think the outstanding success of the existing stores will tip the scales for other retailers to come in. They have some proven data now - not just demographic studies. I have heard from various sources that nearly all the stores in SJTC are exceeding expectations, including the higher end stores. Louis Vuitton posted one of their highest quarters ever for an opening store - and that's in a shaky economy. The center has been open long enough for that to be more than just opening hype. There was clearly an unmet demand for these stores in Jax.

So it would not surprise me to see retailers, including upscale department stores, knocking on Simon's door for continued expansion of SJTC.

I think the outstanding success of the existing stores will tip the scales for other retailers to come in. They have some proven data now - not just demographic studies. I have heard from various sources that nearly all the stores in SJTC are exceeding expectations, including the higher end stores. Louis Vuitton posted one of their highest quarters ever for an opening store - and that's in a shaky economy. The center has been open long enough for that to be more than just opening hype. There was clearly an unmet demand for these stores in Jax.

So it would not surprise me to see retailers, including upscale department stores, knocking on Simon's door for continued expansion of SJTC.

I am knocking on wood right now! I spent 12 dollars, just on one pair of socks, so I would patronize any high-end department store, including Neiman, Saks, or Nordstroms and even Macys. I like high end. The stuff is quality and it is stylish. I have a basic car but save the bucks for shopping. A lot of people do that. Its not what you drive, its how you look. I'm not spoiled or anything. I buy all my stuff with my own money that I earn. I don't wanna come off as spoiled rotten here. So in my book there is definitely a demand. I am crossing my fingers that it is met!

• 4 months later...

What about Ikea? They would make a killing in Jacksonville too. Just about everyone I know has made the 2.5 hour trip from here to get to the Orlando store. It's nuts.

If they opened up here I don't know where they would go. I've only seen them in major shopping centers with something like Target (Atlantic Station in ATL). I know it won't be going in at SJTC since all the lot around it are gone (over by UNF they cannot build because it is a nature preserve). I have never been to an Ikea before but have heard good things about the store.

• 1 month later...

I have talked to someone in retail and here is the DL on the department stores:

1. Nordstroms- Said hell no

2. Nieman Marcus- no

3. Bloomingdales- Said yes then backed out

4. Macy's- has signed.

Overall I am very disappointed with the continued lack of upscale places to shop. I don't see SJTC or Jacksonville getting any in the future.

• 2 months later...

Another note - I just came back from Richmond, Va. It's about the same size as Jacksonville, but you'd never know it by the level of their shopping offerings. Two upscale malls, one with Macy's and Nordstrom and the other with Saks Fifth Avenue and Tiffany's.

Even Birmingham has a Saks.

Why, oh why, the disparity?

Another note - I just came back from Richmond, Va. It's about the same size as Jacksonville, but you'd never know it by the level of their shopping offerings. Two upscale malls, one with Macy's and Nordstrom and the other with Saks Fifth Avenue and Tiffany's.

Even Birmingham has a Saks.

Why, oh why, the disparity?

I'll second that notion. One of the reasons why I am getting out of Jacksonville as soon as I hopefully graduate from U Never Finish.

• 4 weeks later...

So you're leaving because there isn't a Saks? Wow.

That is, as I said, one of the reasons. A few more reasons I want to move is because health care is horrendous and I am starting to go stir-crazy. This is the second place I have live at the longest, and I am getting the itch to move.

Archived